do you remember when.......

Topic actions

First post, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

just a random through I was having....

do you remember when you could buy computer parts like hard drives and cd-roms in bookstores like BDalton

how times have changed........

Reply 6 of 53, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Getting to 99% of an hour long download from your favorite BBS, only to have a family member pick up the phone in another room.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 8 of 53, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmofo wrote:

Getting to 99% of an hour long download from your favorite BBS, only to have a family member pick up the phone in another room.

This is the worst thing ever. Thankfully, we moved to ISDN very quickly and I didn't experience that that often.
I do remember calling my best friend on mornings and his brother cursing because he was traversing dungeons in WoW.

Reply 10 of 53, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Motherboards had nothing but RAM and CPU, the rest you had to buy (video, network, sound, I/O floppy, HD controllers etc.).

Backing up your downloads to QIC tapes connected to your floppy controller (or a separate high speed ISA card if you had money). SCSI if you were rich.

Keyboards that clicked.

Defragging your HD for speed every week.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 12 of 53, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Unknown_K wrote:
Motherboards had nothing but RAM and CPU, the rest you had to buy (video, network, sound, I/O floppy, HD controllers etc.). […]
Show full quote

Motherboards had nothing but RAM and CPU, the rest you had to buy (video, network, sound, I/O floppy, HD controllers etc.).

Backing up your downloads to QIC tapes connected to your floppy controller (or a separate high speed ISA card if you had money). SCSI if you were rich.

Keyboards that clicked.

Defragging your HD for speed every week.

My 486 board was that way. Remember not liking it when they started putting everything on the motherboard - now anything else seems like a real pain 😉

Reply 13 of 53, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ncmark wrote:

how do I say this... seems like back then PCs were a little more "hobby friendly".... now they are just disposable

Building a PC used to mean sliced fingers, risk of electrocution, hardware incompatibilities which required arcane rituals to resolve, and potential for blowing one's life savings with the slip of a screwdriver.

I miss all that stuff - putting together a PC today is child's play.

Reply 14 of 53, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I liked those big box games which were stationed next to the books section at shopping malls long time ago. I still remember one of the games that were being sold at one mall at that time: Gunship 2000. I was drooling at that time but had no money to get the $59 equivalent currency at that time.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 15 of 53, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Speaking of games.... how about games that came with maps, trinkets, thick manuals, complete product catalogs (SSI anyway) ,keyboard overlays, etc. Now you just get a DVD and some advertisement.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 19 of 53, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

do you remember when you could buy computer parts like hard drives and cd-roms in bookstores like BDalton

Wow... B. Dalton's. I haven't heard that name in 20 years. The one around here never carried computer stuff... that was all in the Software Etc. store (a subsidiary of B. Dalton) which was right next door in the mall.

Then there was also Babbage's, and Electronics Boutique, before it turned into a shitty video game store. I still use a toolkit I got from the latter...