Common searches

do you remember when.......

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 53, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

....when 5.25" floppy sleeves came with warning icons.

At the risk of coming dangerously close to nauseating hipsterism, I kinda want these on a shirt: http://stevenf.com/beagle/diskcare.html

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 42 of 53, by memsys

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

When FPS where where action packed and when you picked a difficulty the only way to change it was to start from the beginning again.
Unlike these new FPS that are glorified on the rails shooters that hold your hand and tell you what to do.
Like this

Reply 43 of 53, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
memsys wrote:

When FPS where where action packed and when you picked a difficulty the only way to change it was to start from the beginning again.
Unlike these new FPS that are glorified on the rails shooters that hold your hand and tell you what to do.
Like this

I know right? This trend of turning shooters into generic interactive B-movies nowadays is fucking bullshit. Having a story with cutscenes in between levels is one thing, but sprinkling cutscenes and QTEs all throughout super-linear levels is fucking stupid. Whatever happened to games like Quake and DooM, or hell even games with non-intrusive stories like Unreal or Half Life?

Related, this also illustrates what modern shooters have turned into http://youtu.be/NURfvG0lfpA

Reply 47 of 53, by m1so

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

I know right? This trend of turning shooters into generic interactive B-movies nowadays is fucking bullshit. Having a story with cutscenes in between levels is one thing, but sprinkling cutscenes and QTEs all throughout super-linear levels is fucking stupid. Whatever happened to games like Quake and DooM, or hell even games with non-intrusive stories like Unreal or Half Life?

Related, this also illustrates what modern shooters have turned into http://youtu.be/NURfvG0lfpA

This. It is Sega CD, 1994, all over again.

Reply 48 of 53, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
GL1zdA wrote:

...when Frog in a blender was funny.

That is quite possibly one of the first Flash animations I ever saw. I think I still have a copy of it, packaged in its own stand-alone application. My 20 MHz 486 really struggled to play it at all.

Reply 49 of 53, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jorpho wrote:
GL1zdA wrote:

...when Frog in a blender was funny.

That is quite possibly one of the first Flash animations I ever saw. I think I still have a copy of it, packaged in its own stand-alone application. My 20 MHz 486 really struggled to play it at all.

Funny, one of the first flash animations I ever saw came from the same author. It was Joe Fish, although it was well into the 00's.

Reply 50 of 53, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What about all those novelty desktop apps and screensavers that simulate the destruction of your desktop? That dinosavr.scr with the velociraptor tearing up to reveal a nag message, After Dark's Bad Dog, Desktop Toys to name a few. It's also possible since Games Factory/CNC to build a screensaver or app like that using the Grab Desktop as Background command no one ever uses.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 51 of 53, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mulan and the Lost in Space robot walking along the bottom of the screen, and you could drag them around your desktop.

Honeycomb wallpaper, must have been in the original win95?

Some new operating system called linux. Free version on cd's in 1995 that didn't do much once you had installed them but felt cool anyway.

Reply 52 of 53, by Stull

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ratfink wrote:

Some new operating system called linux. Free version on cd's in 1995 that didn't do much once you had installed them but felt cool anyway.

"Welp, X is loading in 640x480x16...guess I'll play the Abuse demo."