VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Whatever forms they are, Batteries are meant to die. A very painful death. Which is annoying too.

So how are you coping up with old and very old notebooks?

Are you using them with the power adpater connected always? Old used batteries may not last more than a few minutes nowadays. Maybe just have enough time before connecting to a power line at another place.

I always thought of getting a 486 notebook and a Windows 95-era notebook and some sales do come with batteries. But I'm sure I'll be just using the power adapter if I ever get one.

Are there any companies still making custom batteries? These notebook batteries come in all forms and sizes due to the notebook designs. Are there any 486 or Pentium I or II era models which still have dedicated batteries still being produced?

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 1 of 7, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Crack the battery case open and replace the cells. It's especially easy on 486 and early Pentium notebooks, because those usually use nicad or NiMH cells... you can find those cells dirt cheap, and since there's no fancy charging circuitry involved (unlike lithium ion), it doesn't even really matter if it's exactly the same kind of cells, so long as you put together something that adds up to the right voltage and fits in the space required.

Reply 2 of 7, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^^^ this ^^^

ni-cd batteries are relatively cheap from china. (or li-ion or whatever). Granted the laptop has to be worth the investment. Most aren't.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 3 of 7, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are companies on the web that will re-cell any laptop battery (send it in and they will check it out). Most people don't want to pay the cost for this.

I collect old laptops (mostly IBM Thinkpads) and I still have early Pentium models (760 series and 770 series) with working batteries (and I don't mean 5 mins operating time). You are much better off just using a power brick unless you realy want to be out and about running DOS or something crazy.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 4 of 7, by bucket

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, my old machines are more "portable computers" than "laptops" - not only are the batteries dead, but I find myself preferring a PS/2 mouse to the nub, and there really is no point to use them on the road without WiFi capability.

Reply 5 of 7, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I really hate those crappy ni-cads, I wonder if tossing them in the freezer might reset the memory effect that they have to some extent.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 7 of 7, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cdoublejj wrote:

i know the ones with cells in them can be rebuilt with new cells.

Almost all can be rebuilt except for the newer lithium polymer batteries, you can crack open the pack your self and check it out. You could rebuild the pack by just salvaging the cells from other packs but you got to get the voltage right. I do remember seeing a few videos on youtube how to rebuild them. Even batteries from older macs can be rebuilt but you got to get the right cell type then get the right number of cells then all is set.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.