Common searches

S3 Virge / Gx2 advice

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 25, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a Winfast S680 or something to that nature.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 21 of 25, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bytesaber wrote:

What brand is the card pictured by Pingaloka? I am trying to find a GX2 that is on PCI, to pair with my Voodoo1. Anyone have suggested ebay terms to look for besides "gx2"? Sometimes people do not post auctions based the text they see on a chip.

This card might be somewhat difficult to find.
In my experience GX2 cards are much less common that most other ViRGE cards (325/DX/GX, Trio3D, Trio3D/2X - even VX are more common).
Additionally GX2 is AGP capable so I'd expect most cards using this chip to be AGP and not PCI.

For ebay I'd probably put
virge -dx -325 -nitro
in the search box, check "Include description" and sift through the results manually.
GX2 yields mostly several cards with "GX 2MB RAM while 357 (code number of GX2) yields nothing.

Reply 22 of 25, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

thinking of upgrading from a gx to gx2

since the PCI version is kind of scarce i'm assuming an AGP gx2 in a pentium II DOS/Win 95 setup wouldn't really cause any issues.

Reply 23 of 25, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was running a Stealth 3D 4000 in my p200mmx Win95 machine. It was perfectly fine for Windows use but I was getting VBE issues when trying to run DOS games. The S3 Vesa apps either wouldn't recognize it or would simply not run with this card. This affected a few games, Duke3D, TIE Fighter are the ones I can remember.

Also, no Terminal Velocity, so that was a bust.

Halcyon: PC Chips M525, P100, 64MB, Millenium 1, Voodoo1, AWE64, DVD, Win95B

Reply 24 of 25, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
senrew wrote:

I was running a Stealth 3D 4000 in my p200mmx Win95 machine. It was perfectly fine for Windows use but I was getting VBE issues when trying to run DOS games. The S3 Vesa apps either wouldn't recognize it or would simply not run with this card. This affected a few games, Duke3D, TIE Fighter are the ones I can remember.

Also, no Terminal Velocity, so that was a bust.

interesting, the GX2 uses the same 2d core as the s3 trio right?

were the issues caused just because of the gx2 chip or because its on an AGP bus in DOS?

Reply 25 of 25, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

AGP or PCI doesn't really matter in DOS. Cards basically work as faster PCI cards (AGP 1x can theoretically transfer data two times as fast as PCI, AGP 2x four times and so on).
IIRC ViRGE chips don't support any actual AGP-only features anyway. (Like 3dfx, Rendition, ...)