VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by AdamP

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

How useful is the internet on an old PC? Are there any sites still useful on such old operating systems? Most are messed up and don't work 🙁. I tried Vogons on Windows 3.1, and amazingly it still renders half-okay, at least on Internet Explorer. I haven't tried logging in and actually using this site yet though (and to be honest, I don't know whether I should!). A few months ago, I tried this on another site and the results were quite amusing 😀.

a7f9d570-42e3-4d50-880f-6f5aa4acba92.jpg

912122f6-187c-4ff9-aa92-ecf36e3170ff.jpg

79ab36ed-7a87-4396-a42c-ec610f443219.jpg

fe767d76-447c-4ebd-a79b-7ce88be97f76.jpg

Thanks

Reply 1 of 7, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Might look better if you inch it slightly forward in time like IE4 and Netscrape Crashunicator 4. CSS usually is the dividing line for browser obsolence (and of course, javascript engines and HTML5 and these stupid things called "chrome" and "flash")

Last edited by leileilol on 2013-07-01, 01:26. Edited 1 time in total.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 7, by AdamP

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

Might look better if you inch it slightly forward in time like IE4 and Netscrape Crashunicator 4.

That is Netscape 4.

I tried installing IE4 and IE5 on Windows 3.1, but they didn't work properly and screwed everything up (OS-wise, not rendering-wise), so I had to go back to IE3 🙁.

Reply 3 of 7, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i'm fairly sure there are 3rd party internet browsers out there that are less known. i'm personally running KernelEx with palemoon 3 (old cpu optimized) and flash player and Ad Block Plus so i don't REALLY have any issues.

Reply 4 of 7, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Opera maintained Windows 9x support longer than any other browser I know of. It's possible older versions of Opera may run on Windows 3.x, though I honestly have no idea; I'm just guessing.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 5 of 7, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gemini000 wrote:

Opera maintained Windows 9x support longer than any other browser I know of. It's possible older versions of Opera may run on Windows 3.x, though I honestly have no idea; I'm just guessing.

Last year I signed up for a Yahoo group related to the topic of Windows 3.1 and there really aren't any browsers compatible with it that are even remotely usable anymore. I can't even find any active projects concerning modern Windows 3.1 browsers. Finding projects for bringing newer browser technologies to Windows 98 is difficult enough, 3.1 is impossible.

Reply 6 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

List of Web Browsers For All Operating Systems

Opera 3.62
March 2000

IE 5.01
March 1999

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 7, by Anonymous Freak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I use IE5 on my Win3 machines. Not the most usable, but using AnyBrowser, you can simplify just about any website so that it will display on non-modern browsers.