VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Soupdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I want to make image files of my old dos cd-rom games to use with dosbox. Last time I did this I used ImgBurn which I was very happy with. Unfortunately earlier this year I reinstalled my PC and no longer have it installed. I went to download the latest version but I read poor user reviews calming that it now comes bundled with non uncheckable malware type stuff.

Would I be correct in thinking that ImgBurn 2.5.6.0 was the last safe version?

Reply 1 of 13, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

if you download from the official website: http://imgburn.com/index.php?act=download , there is no malware... it could ask you to install crap but you can always say no, this is the first time I hear about imgburn infected with malware... ofcourse a 3rd party download site can add whatever they want so be careful!

edit: just checked, you are asked to install 2 extra programs, you say no/don't accept and they are not getting installed...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 13, by Soupdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was reading on there forum that some users are still having issues with something called opencandy even when they unchecked the relevant boxes.

There must be something to the claim that program is no longer safe all user reviews for the latest version at download.com are negative. I would assume that most people would know to check the install options carefully nowadays.

I have downloaded 2.5.6.0 from oldapps.com but I haven't yet installed it. I think this is the version I had installed in the past. I don't like downloading from non official sites.🙁

Reply 3 of 13, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Use this instead: http://infrarecorder.org/

No muss, no fuss. quick, lean and works perfect. also free. What more could you want?

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 4 of 13, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I recommend this modified package from the RyanVM site. It was intended as an addon for slipstreaming, but it also works as a standalone switchless installer... just open the 7Z archive and grab the IBurn258.exe installer file out of the svcpack folder. It's just the main program, all bundled crap removed.

Reply 5 of 13, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

so all this because a user can't read 2 dialog screens and press "no/don't agree" ? :\

The official installer asks about installing "Real Player" (no) and "Dragons of Atlantis" (do not aggree).
There is NO express/custom install options, you are asked every time about these 2 extras. Getting crap installers from other sites has nothing to do with imgburn.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 7 of 13, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

so all this because a user can't read 2 dialog screens and press "no/don't agree" ? :\
The official installer asks about installing "Real Player" (no) and "Dragons of Atlantis" (do not aggree).

You're completely missing the point. It's not just about unchecking a couple pieces of bundled software. The way the Opencandy crap works is that it goes out and connects to an external server to retrieve those "offers". Declining the offers does not change the fact that it phones home. Many people find such behavior unacceptable, and rightfully so, because it's running under administrative rights and you have no control over what it retrieves from that external source.

Reply 8 of 13, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ ah, I thought this open-candy crap was an extra installer on top of the real one... Seems I was wrong ...

Reply 11 of 13, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One of the first things I installed on my new system was ImgBurn 2.5.7.0. There's no records in my firewall logs of any OpenCandy stuff, nor are there any policies set in regards to the program, SweetLabs Inc., or anything related. Based on that, and forum posts on the ImgBurn website, I think 2.5.7.0 is the best you can do without getting hit with OpenCandy stuff.

After reading some posts about OpenCandy I think a lot of people are failing to properly express why OpenCandy is bad. Downloading stuff in order to present offers to users while running with administrative rights through an installer isn't the big danger, it's that if an offer is malformed, intentionally or not, it could install stuff without the user's consent, which adds an extra hassle to remove, especially if it's malicious stuff. This may be against OpenCandy's policies and they may remove such things from their network when they're informed, but the simple fact is that the danger is present, people are affected by these incidents, and thus people would rather not take the risk.

Considering how rapidly the author of ImgBurn is taking flak for this decision I have a hunch we may be seeing a 2.5.8.1 in the near future that has OpenCandy taken out. ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 12 of 13, by osvaldog31

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You actually have many options available here and will likely have more trouble deciding which is best for your particular needs than finding a particular solution that works.
Personally, I keep IMGBurn and AppGeeker DVD Creator (download here) installed to cover all bases and maximize my options when more than one converter can handle the job.

Last edited by osvaldog31 on 2014-01-14, 05:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 13 of 13, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Odd. I had a post in here, but it seems to have vanished...

Anyway, most OpenCandy installers can be subverted just by running the installation package from the command line with the "/NOCANDY" switch. I say "most" because I tried this trick with Freemake Video Converter the other day, and the installer choked badly, possibly because the installer featured more customization than usual. But it works most of the time.