VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My father had a small repair shop in the early 80s and had bought this Oscilloscope for his technician.
It ended up in storage for years and he recently gave it to me as he knows i've taken electronics as a hobby of late.
So It is about 30 years old.

I am really a total noob at using these things, but fortunately I have the operating manual!
I hope some of the more seasoned techies here might give me some insights or starter tips about this machine.
I also would like your opinions on this particular oscilloscope. Is it good, bad ? Missing some key features?

( its dusty )
P1010493_zps4ea340ff.jpg

It has all kinds of connections, some of which I am not sure about what they do ( I havent read the manual yet but i will )
P1010495_zps9df248d7.jpg
P1010497_zpsa80bdb2f.jpg
P1010501_zps1ee8f6d2.jpg

I tried powering it up and It shows this line, does not seem totally normal, maybe it will require some calibration. ( Just noticed the trace rotate knob on the back, thats probably it! )
P1010503_zps0b393df0.jpg

Main problem It has is that it came with only one probe, which is broken...
P1010498_zps79b2f179.jpg

It must have come with 2 probes initially but the other one is lost in the abyss of the ages.
I need to shop for probes first thing I guess, Or repair the one I have, it is broken on the connector. Does not seem to be possible to use the original connector but I think they sell connectors like that at my local store.

Another question is, do I really need 2 probes? ( for monitoring reference voltage or something? ) Or I can do pretty well with one for now?
Anyway, pretty excited about this machine. Any input to help me start up with it is appreciated 😀

FM sound card comparison on a Grand Scale!!
The Grand OPL3 Comparison Run.

Reply 1 of 10, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What you have there is a solid 10MHz analogue CRO. Perfect for a beginner. My scope is only single channel, which has proven to be a pain in the ass more than once.

Since your probe is broken, you may as well just buy two new ones. It's always handy having two, for, say, comparing the input of a circuit to the output.

Anyway, grab these probes: http://dx.com/p/20mhz-oscilloscope-probe-with … -max-600v-34219

They're obviously not the best quality, but at 10MHz, it's not going to have much of an impact on your readings.

Edit: Just saw your post on Assemblergames, the probes you linked there would be fine too, are the same price as these ones, and probably better quality.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 2 of 10, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What does CRO means? Cathode ray oscilloscope?
I have been reading some of the manual since I posted and found out about the 10mhz bandwidth. It seems a little low by today's standards but Im just beginning and mostly working on retro consoles so im sure i can do alot with this!

I had found these on ebay: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/40MHz-Oscilloscope-Sco … =item2a14dcd427
6$ shipped for a pair!

Edit: Yeah I posted this on 3 forums to reach as many techies as possible. I somewhat feel like a spammer :s

Reply 4 of 10, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I haven't used a CRO for 10 years +

Cant even recall how 😀

Nice find mate. What a cool device!

=My Cyrix 5x86 systems : 120MHz vs 133MHz=. =My 486DX2-66MHz=

Reply 5 of 10, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I tried using this oscilloscope with my brand new probe and so far my impression is that the machine is faulty 🙁

I bought a cheap adjustable oscillator from ebay. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/400292172818?ssPageNam … 984.m1439.l2649
Connected it to an external regulated 5v PSU. The oscillator seems to work, I measure 2.5VDC with my multimeter on the clock output, as is normal with oscillators.
P1010584_zpsf4d5593f.jpg

But when I connect it to the oscilloscope I need to set the zoom at 10mv/division before I see anything. And here's what I see.
P1010583_zps7371a734.jpg

Pretty funky uh? Looks like the footsteps from some alien bird.

There is a X5 zoom function on the machine. This part does seem to work properly, heres what it looks like zoomed.
P1010585_zps2bf332cb.jpg

I also tried measuring some clock and datalines from my GameGear. I dont remember which was shown in this picture but im getting double the waveform!!
Once again I need to set it to 5-10 mV/division before I see the wave properly. Using channel 1 or 2 produces the same results.
P1010527_zpsda2308b4.jpg

The SECS/DIV dial also seems to misbehave as it does not give consistent results when I move it around and return it. Although this might be dirty contacts.
Im pretty sure this thing has some pretty serious issues but I wish I had access to a known good oscilloscope to learn how to use it properly.
What do you guys think?

Reply 6 of 10, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Do you know what the peak-to-peak voltage of your oscillator should be? What is the x1/x10 switch on your probe set to?

I also have a feeling you might need to change the coupling to DC, I see it's currently set to AC (that's the switch in the top left).

Reply 7 of 10, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Im not sure about the peak to peak but in the manual it says " Maximum input voltage 500v peak ac of dc"
The probe was set to x10
I tried changing the coupling to GND,AC,DC it did not change anything in the waveform.

In the meantime I also found this thing in the local kijiji ads, good deal?
http://quebec.kijiji.ca/c-acheter-et-vendre-e … QAdIdZ497216595

Reply 8 of 10, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Peak-to-peak of your oscillator module, not the scope! 😀

But it sounds like some of the controls on your scope aren't doing what they should do. If you can get that other scope for $150, then go for it.

Reply 9 of 10, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

🤣 sry about that I read to fast. The oscillator is 0-5v. ( I am feeding it 5vdc and the high value is aligned to Vcc )

I tried setting the probe to 1x. It made the setup more sensitive, contrary to what I imagined. But its still not giving a very sensitive reading. I need to set the dial in the mv range and use zoom to have a nice reading.

I still may be able to get some use out of it. I wanted to check ripple current in the power rail of a console to troubleshoot some noise issues. Ill see what I can do.

Reply 10 of 10, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I went and bought that 100 mhz oscilloscope after haggling it down to 125$
That new one apparently works great! I have not tested everything but hey Im just starting out with those. One cool thing Is I got the User and Service manual with it 😀
Volts and time division all match with what im measuring and it locks automatically on the waveforms, which is great.
The other one really has some weird issues, I will keep it around and maybe try to fix it eventually. Maybe it needs recap? After 30years+ that would not be too surprising.
Anyway here's my new machine:
P1010594_zps16e862da.jpg

I am now measuring ripple noise in the 5v rail of my heavily modded game gear. There Is about 100mv p-p ripple in the rail. Is this considered a lot?
The picture does not do it full justice, its more detailed than this in truth. This is at 20 mv/div setting.
P1010597_zps31ee3cad.jpg

Here the sound output channel background noise. Its pretty noisy. Still at 20mv/div
P1010599_zpsaf21784f.jpg