Common searches

HDMI Advice

Topic actions

First post, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been using my new ASUS HDMI display with the VGA input for awhile due to not having a USB keyboard.

I just got a new Microsoft Natural kB and an I/O Gear 2-port HDMI KVM.

It works great except for one thing, 1080p mode shows up with borders.

I used my GPU Overscan slider to adjust to zero but also noticed this display has built-in overscan as well.

So, which is better or is a case of 6 of onem half a dozen of the other ?

When I adjusted my display to 1680 x 1050 it displayed on the full screen, not sure why 1080p mode did not.

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 1 of 4, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My brother-in-law was having a similar problem with his computer connected to a 1080p 50" LCD panel. Every resolution would show up perfectly fine but 1920x1080 would get overscanned. After a lot of searching around the problem was, believe it or not, the panel's aspect ratio setting, even though it was set to 16:9 mode. If your panel has such a setting, try adjusting it. If not, you could try manually setting which display timing method to use in your graphics driver options.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 2 of 4, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Most TVs know that through VGA the signal is from a computer. From HDMI this isn't so obvious...

The TV should have a setting basically telling it that the HDMI signal is from a PC and to use 1:1 pixel mapping. Sometimes it is a certain HDMI port as well.

To combat this video drivers allow underscanning to counter the overscan the TV applies. But this is basically scaling twice and should be avoided.

So the scaling should be set to 0 in your driver and then check out all the options in the TV. Most half decent TVs have a 1:1 pixel mapping option although it can hide under other names.

Mine calls it graphic mode...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 4, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
Most TVs know that through VGA the signal is from a computer. From HDMI this isn't so obvious... […]
Show full quote

Most TVs know that through VGA the signal is from a computer. From HDMI this isn't so obvious...

The TV should have a setting basically telling it that the HDMI signal is from a PC and to use 1:1 pixel mapping. Sometimes it is a certain HDMI port as well.

To combat this video drivers allow underscanning to counter the overscan the TV applies. But this is basically scaling twice and should be avoided.

So the scaling should be set to 0 in your driver and then check out all the options in the TV. Most half decent TVs have a 1:1 pixel mapping option although it can hide under other names.

Mine calls it graphic mode...

This is basically what I did in the AMD Vision Control Panel, the settings were not at ZERO but under-scanned.

I also found the overscan setting on the ASUS monitor too and tried it but it really was really needed, tried it to see but was no different then using the options under the GPU settings.

@Robertmo, initially I was using a PS2 type KVM with this monitor as it also has a single VGA input as well. My old KB was a PS2 type and I didn't want to updgrade the KVM switchbox until I get both a new USB keyboard an HDMI switchbox at the same time 😉

Also, I have only ever seen a USB 2 PS2 adapter for keyboards nor the other way around, PS2 2 USB, I'm sure they are out there but I really needed a new KB as the older one was starting to get carple key syndrome :p

No matter where you go, there you are...