VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My current main PC started as a budget build back in 2010, I had an Athlon 64 X2 4000+ CPU, 2x1GB DDR2 sticks, 400GB SATA HDD and an EVGA 7800GTX lying around so I bought a cheap motherboard (Asrock N68-S) to put it all together into something usable. Fast forward to 2013 and through a combination of bargain hunting and luck I now have the following components:

• Phenom II X2 555 BE (unlocks successfully to quad)
  • Zotac GTX 650 Ti 1GB DDR5
  • Kingston SSDNow! 200 V+ 60GB

Now the cheap motherboard has become a bottleneck so I want to replace it. I'm aiming for a low to mid range motherboard focused on reliability (solid capacitors, 140W capable heatsinked VRM, hopefully a bit of headroom for overclocking) rather than features I'll rarely use, without breaking the bank.

These are the main features I'm looking for:

• 140W TDP, heatsink on VRM
  • Core Unlocking
  • Full ATX form factor (don't like cramped expansion slots)
  • Four DDR3 slots (I'm planning on 2x4GB for a start, more to come in the future)
  • No IGP I won't use (taking up space that could be used for USB ports etc)
  • Separate PS/2 ports for keyboard and mouse

I don't see myself upgrading the CPU or running a dual-GPU config on this machine in the near future so I'm not too concerned about FX CPU or Crossfire/SLI support, I'd rather have a no-bells-and-whistles board with a solid VRM I can push a bit without worries.

When I looked around my local PC parts stores I was in for a surprise. It's either crap low end or expensive high end, the middle of the road boards I'm looking for are pretty much gone. Guess I'm a year late 😢.

Going by the limited options I had at my disposal I settled on the Asus M5A97 R2.0 which seemed to match all of my criteria, I was about to buy it when I noticed no mention of core unlocking even though the plain M5A97 and the EVO version do mention it, so I looked it up and apparently the R2.0 versions of Asus boards don't feature core unlocking even though they're essentially the same board! I still can't wrap my head around that. Unfortunately the plain M5A97 is sold out everywhere so I'm out of luck. 😢

If I make a compromise and drop my two last requirements from the list two other options open up:

Both are over my initial budget and there's only one of each in stock (at two different stores) so I better make up my mind and get one before they're gone, and that's where I'm struggling. My shallow analysis follows:

Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3

• Cheaper
  • 8+2 Phase VRM
  • Legacy BIOS
  • Max. 16GB of RAM
  • IGP (and less USB ports)

Asus M5A97 EVO

• More expensive
  • 6+2 Phase Digi+ VRM
  • UEFI BIOS
  • Max. 32GB of RAM
  • No IGP (and more USB ports)

The points in black I'm not sure about. 8+2 Phase VRM sounds better than 6+2 but I'm not familiar with the Digi+ technology, neither I know if UEFI is really worth the cost, and frankly I don't think I'll go beyond 16GB of RAM in the following years.
I'd say that the M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 has a nicer VRM but the M5A97 EVO sounds better overall, and since I'm way over my budget I might as well get the more expensive one while I'm at it, but still I can't really make up my mind, the pressure of the remaining stock vanishing at any minute now doesn't really help either.

Any thoughts or suggestions you may have will be greatly appreciated. Thanks! 😉

----

Why Asus only? Mostly because of the limited options I have. Asus seems the most reliable, I don't feel like going with Asrock again, only 4+1 phase and no VRM cooling on the similar Gigabyte boards I could find, and I'm certainly not going with MSI if I want reliable.

http://133FSB.wordpress.com

Reply 1 of 7, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That CPU is not a really fast one nor takes a lot of power so either board should suffice.

Where you run into a problem us upgrading the CPU.

Since it's a Phenom II it should support DDR3 on an AM3 board, not sure it would work on an AM3+ board.

I'm currently using an AM3+ board (Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3) with my new FX 8350 CPU, it runs great but you are looking for something more cost effective.

The VRM circuit is key for providing proper power (current + voltage) in a stable manner even when fully loaded.

Generally speaking, the more phases you have the more stable the power, up to what point I'm not really sure, I bet there is some point where having more phases isn't really practicle except to the marketing folks 😉

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 2 of 7, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

With AMD the phases are a little bit more important because the CPUs tend to draw more power. However best is just to check the CPU compatibility charts on the ASUS website.

I wouldn't use a cheap board for overclocking however.

On the 555 with unlocked cores you basically have a Phenom II X4. If it's on the CPU compatibility chart then you have nothing to worry.

So I would go with the cheaper board. It will be fine.

PS: What is wrong with your current board?

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 3 of 7, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BigBodZod wrote:

That CPU is not a really fast one nor takes a lot of power so either board should suffice.

Indeed, I think that's why I'm having a hard time deciding between the two, they're quite similar from the POV of my lowly PII.

I tried my X2 555 on a friend's M5A78L-M/USB3 and it unlocked perfectly, but then the TDP jumps to 125W and with the 4 cores under load the (bare) VRM MOSFETs got scorching hot pretty fast, which is why I desire a cost-effective but solid VRM solution for long term reliability and in case I ever decide to try a mild overclock (I know these really aren't overclocking boards).

According to what I've read the M5A97 EVO should support my Phenom II. However I've just read that a Phenom II which unlocked on a 8xx chipset might not unlock correctly on a 9xx chipset, if that's the case it might be safer to go with the older board with core unlocking in mind.

I don't see myself going for a CPU upgrade in the future, especially if midrange AM3+ boards seem to be going the way of the dodo where I live. My current machine runs well enough as it is, and most of the speed gains I'll be getting will be from the SSD. 😀

Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

PS: What is wrong with your current board?

• No core unlocking (not enough power to support it either).
  • DDR2 RAM is a dead end (cost and maximum capacity).
  • No AHCI support on the SATA2 controller (haven't used the SSD yet).
  • Fiddly onboard USB (I have to use a USB2.0 PCI card for my external hard drives).
  • No expansion slots left (I have a PCI video capture card I'd like to use but can't).

Reply 4 of 7, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just noticed that on the M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 the PCI-e x16 slot is actually the middle one, not the top one, so my video card would end up lower down the case, leaving my PCI capture card awfully close to it. On the other hand, I'm probably over-thinking things. 🙄

Reply 5 of 7, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just go with a mid rage or better 990FX based board as it works well with the Phenom 2 era while providing support for the later models. On top of that if you get a good one you will have both crossfire and sli support.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 6 of 7, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I finally caved in and got the last M5A97 EVO the store had in stock, it was the display model so I got it a bit cheaper 😀.
The salesperson hinted that they won't be restocking these so I consider myself lucky.

Many thanks to everyone for the advice provided! 😁

Reply 7 of 7, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Full legacy support, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?It … N82E16813157266

I however want/wanted a quality reliable board from a brand I trust, with a good VRM/TDP support, with a VRM heat sink, and a slot lay out that let me run my PCI sound card while running 2 dual slot video cards in crossfire OR SLI, with the most likley future cpu support (that's where 990fx comes in along with SLI and CFX) all while matching my black and blue theme, which means it needs to be black and blue on top of my performance and slot lay out demands, the AsRock extreme 4 990FX was the ONLY board that stepped up to the plate.

right now i'm running my 1100T @ 4ghz on the dot o na 250mhz buss but, i need to see if i drop t he cpu multi and ram up the bus.

the one time i could careless about legacy support and i get it any ways to bad i don't have place for legacy parts in my case. oh well it would fuck up my wire management any ways, i'm one nice sleeve job or modular PSU away from submitting to this site, http://www.million-dollar-pc.com/ I like my stuff to look good AND perform. I wish asus would figure this out and release nicer black and blue boards.

EDIT: i see you got a 970 board, i hope you aren't planning to upgrade with newer CPUs like steamroller (if it ends up being any good) nor needing SLI support, which not every one needs either of those and it is an asus board so i guess it's not too shabby.