VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by BR4ZIL

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello dear VOGONS, usually once per year i have this urge to play a obscure game from my younger days and then i remember my memory isnt what it used to be.

This time i am looking for a RTS, squad commander game, top down (bird's eye) view. You controlled a bunch of "funky" soldiers in World War 2, there were diferent units, such as officers and scuba troopers, i also remember that to complete some objectives you had to plant explosives. I am not sure if vehicles were present, but i belive they were, with tanks being the same size as the soldiers, so they would fit the game's overall cartoony feel. You were only able to play as US troops, with german soldiers being your enemy.

Each time a new unit was going to be introduced into the game, a tutorial was given about said new unit in a boot camp scenario. I also remember the game had very unresponsive commands, with your soldiers either going were you didint clicked or not moving at all.

If it serves of any help, one of the only quotes i remember when you clicked a unit was a very deep and groovy "YOU!"

It was a Windows game (100% sure it was not DOS), i would guess it was released around 1998-2000, it was also very "indie" by today's standards, i think it was released by a european (possibly eastern europe) studio (dont ask me why i think that).

To help out, soldiers looked like this :
chickenrun2.jpg
But gameplay was closer to Gruntz:
gruntz3.PNG

Except it was a world war 2 enviroment.

Reply 2 of 4, by BR4ZIL

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Davros wrote:
http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/6008/cqam.jpg cannon fodder ? […]
Show full quote

cqam.jpg
cannon fodder ?

Sadly its not 😢

It was a rather primitive game. if memory doesnt fail me, i belive the main menu despicted 3 of these cartoony soldiers riding in that typical WW2 American Jeep, flying off the road because they were going too fast.

When the game gave you the mission briefs and when you selected levels, it used a interface similar Windows, for selecting, there was a folder called Campaign 1 and inside it "Mission 1: The Bridge" or alike files.

I am might be 100% wrong on this, but i belive the game was called *something* Soldier.

I initially though it was called Job Soldier, but i wasnt able to find anything. Please dont take that name into consideration, any other guess is a good as mine!

Reply 4 of 4, by BR4ZIL

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Malik wrote:
Any chance it's Lead Soldier? […]
Show full quote

Any chance it's Lead Soldier?

37141.jpg

Thank you Malik, you just nailed it! I was losing sleep over this!

Also thanks Davros for the support, you guys here surely know your games!

😀 😀 😀

Now the problem will be finding the full version of this game 😵