Common searches

Random questions Socket 7 Machine

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 33, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, so finally got a 166MMX CPU + Abit PR5 R2 PCI
Although this motherboard is supossed not to be compatiboe with MMX CPU's, I tried putting one in and it worked!
The Bios identifies the chip as a Pentium-S but Speedsys does identify the chip as an MMX....so I guess that it is actually working as an MMX.
I tried overclocking the CPU up to 200mhz, and it seems to run fine....maybe adding a bigger fan in a near future?
64Mb RAM, and an S3 Trio64+ running with S3VESA + Speedup VESA, and Blood runs perfectly fine at 640x480!!

Speedsys shows a 12.4 result with L1 + L2 disabled, I think that'll be good enough to mantain compatibility with older games.
Not worried about Wing commander or Jazz Rabbit or Ultima VII as they are not my cup of tea...Sorry guys!!!
To be honest I have never tried Wing Commander...but having Tie Fighter I don't think I'll try it for now....please don't kill me!!!
I know that many on here love this game!!!

More interested on Sierra, Lucasarts and other adventure games...Command Conquer, Red Alert, Syndicate, Tie Fighter, Sensible Soccer, Blood, Duke Nukem 3d, Doom...those are my games!

Reply 21 of 33, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Pingaloka wrote:

Speedsys shows a 12.4 result with L1 + L2 disabled, I think that'll be good enough to mantain compatibility with older games.
Not worried about Wing commander or Jazz Rabbit or Ultima VII as they are not my cup of tea...Sorry guys!!!

Whaaaaaat! Ultima 7 not your cup of tea? 😜

That speed sys score is very similar to my 486 DX33.

=My Cyrix 5x86 systems : 120MHz vs 133MHz=. =My 486DX2-66MHz=

Reply 22 of 33, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rgart wrote:
Pingaloka wrote:

Whaaaaaat! Ultima 7 not your cup of tea? 😜

I've never liked rol games, don't know why....but never liked them.

Reply 23 of 33, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rgart wrote:
Pingaloka wrote:

Is it?

It's on the level of a fast 386DX. Oh do you use an ISA VGA card in your 486?

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 25 of 33, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rgart wrote:

no a VLB video card.

My score is like 12.95

Hmm that score is too low.

Is the turbo button pressed? Cache active? Mainboard cache?

Oh you do test with 3dbench 1.0 not 1.0c?

My YouTube channel

Reply 26 of 33, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Pingaloka wrote:

rgart wrote:

Speedsys.

According to that table it looks like its where it should be. Much higher than a 386DX-40 but a fair bit lower than a 486DX2-50

6uho.jpg

=My Cyrix 5x86 systems : 120MHz vs 133MHz=. =My 486DX2-66MHz=

Reply 27 of 33, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So 12.46 would be like a 386 80mhz? What other effective way, software wise, can be use to slow down the computer even more? Would it be possible having L1 + L2 already disabled to use program like MOSLO (I think that is how is called right?) to get it down to a 386 40mhz, or even less?

Reply 28 of 33, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ahhh sorry I confused it with 3dbench 😀

If you want to gauge gaming performance, go with 3dbench 1.0!

You should get a score of around 10 with all caches off and a score of maybe around 20 or so with l1 off and l2 on.

My YouTube channel

Reply 29 of 33, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Pingaloka wrote:

I tried overclocking the CPU up to 200mhz, and it seems to run fine

U lucky guy!my damn pentium mmx 166,won't overclock at all.
What model u got?

http://www.cpu-collection.de/?l0=i&i=82 or this 1 http://www.cpu-collection.de/?l0=i&i=1281

Reply 32 of 33, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Pingaloka wrote:

So 12.46 would be like a 386 80mhz? What other effective way, software wise, can be use to slow down the computer even more? Would it be possible having L1 + L2 already disabled to use program like MOSLO (I think that is how is called right?) to get it down to a 386 40mhz, or even less?

Forget MoSlo and i don't think software wise there's another solution, i suppose you get the 12.46 score at speedsys with L1 and L2 caches disabled? Set a 50Mhz FSB and a 1.5 multiplier and run speedsys again. Because you internally reduce the clockspeed and you lower the speed at which your CPU communicates with RAM, it will slow down a bit but not much. This is because of x86 Instruction Set Architecture limitations. When Intel designed it they never expected it would still be around 35 years later. They tried to replace it at least a couple of times and yet they failed.

With 50MHZ FSB and 1.5x multi, you'll get a lower score, probably around 10 and 11, which would be something like a 386 DX 40 on steroids. Horse steroids, though. This is not the solution you need but if you want to use a MMX Pentium...

Reply 33 of 33, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
carlostex wrote:
Pingaloka wrote:

Forget MoSlo and i don't think software wise there's another solution, i suppose you get the 12.46 score at speedsys with L1 and L2 caches disabled? Set a 50Mhz FSB and a 1.5 multiplier and run speedsys again. Because you internally reduce the clockspeed and you lower the speed at which your CPU communicates with RAM, it will slow down a bit but not much. This is because of x86 Instruction Set Architecture limitations. When Intel designed it they never expected it would still be around 35 years later. They tried to replace it at least a couple of times and yet they failed.

With 50MHZ FSB and 1.5x multi, you'll get a lower score, probably around 10 and 11, which would be something like a 386 DX 40 on steroids. Horse steroids, though. This is not the solution you need but if you want to use a MMX Pentium...

For now I'm going to stick with this setup...12.4 score a fast 386....but I think good enough to have compatibility with 1990 games onwards...
I know we vogoners are perfectionists...we want the best setup with the best compatibility...hehe 😀