VOGONS

Common searches

Recycling

Topic actions

First post, by Jan3Sobieski

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This really bothers me and I would just like an honest opinion from anyone who wishes to express it.

The city where I live has a recycling facility where you can drop off paper, plastic and... electronics.

The electronics container is one of those large ones that you can walk into. Everyone can just come in and drop off their TV's, printers and of course computers.
I visit the facility once in a while when I have a large haul of recyclables that I want to dispose of. They pick up the electronics container about once every two weeks.

I called the village and asked about it but they said you can't remove anything from the container and take it home even though they don't own the actual container. (Some recycling company owns it and provides it for free and they haul it away for free) The area is monitored with cameras but I'm not sure if they actually check the footage.

The thing is... It really breaks my heart. Every time I go there I see a bunch of old 486 era computers along with pentiums 1/2/3. All intact, clean. Just old. I guess I'm wondering if anyone here lives in a similar city/village and knows if this is more of a guideline or if it's actually illegal. Of course I know that there's an issue with privacy (if owners didn't wipe their hd's before recycling) but all of us here know that that's not what we're about.

Any opinions?

Reply 1 of 4, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have the exact same problem here in australia. Bureaucrats worried about litigation here.

Last edited by rgart on 2013-07-20, 06:11. Edited 1 time in total.

=My Cyrix 5x86 systems : 120MHz vs 133MHz=. =My 486DX2-66MHz=

Reply 2 of 4, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Same thing happens here - can't take anything out of the containers and they're pretty well secluded/guarded. They even take issue if you hang out nearby trying to coerce people into giving their e-waste to you instead of them. Because of that I don't go to municipal recycling centers, if I did I'd surely get depressed.

http://133FSB.wordpress.com

Reply 3 of 4, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was about 5 meters away from hundreds of retro computers waiting to be scraped. A tiny fence between them and myself...potential bribery got me past the first bureaucrat but the second one was a stubborn ass. Oh the possibilities 😀

=My Cyrix 5x86 systems : 120MHz vs 133MHz=. =My 486DX2-66MHz=

Reply 4 of 4, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Happens here in the states too, really the fact that they are properly recycling old electronics in a manner that helps out the environment is great, but as you state it's the old/vintage computers that could get a second life that is the most disconcerting.

I guess unless you are the recycling company then there is no way to get your hands on the old computers first.

No matter where you go, there you are...