VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Mapping out the game worlds, especially in RPGs and Adventure games is a lost form of art nowadays. Newer games started having automaps even during the DOS era itself. Good automaps are a welcome addition to a much needed aspect of these gaming. It saves a lot of time.

Latest games have "radars" replacing the on-screen superimposed automaps, where the maps are no more hidden or fogged to-be-revealed later once the player reaches that area. But these are mostly action games anyway, and the so called maps will come in handy. These "radars" already have all the doors, pathways and enemies laid out for the player.

Nevertheless, self-mapping the game worlds, in old Dos games especially, even though it is time consuming, is ultimately very rewarding too. It also make one to be familiar with the game worlds.

It also possible to guess where are the secret pathway and halls and helps to look for secret switches or triggers, especially in RPG games, once one starts to map out the area. This also makes the player to be much more involved in the game world.

Adventure games tend to include mazes, (and sometimes they are included too many, much to the discomfort of an Adventure game player) mainly to prolong the gameplay. I never liked mazes to be included in Adventure or RPG games. Mapping out these mazes somewhat alleviates the frustrations.

Anyone remember the desert in King's Quest V? Or the caverns in Legend of Kyrandia? These are games that will punish the player if not mapped.

I did make another thread about map making here, but I thought I would just write again to bring back the good old memories, trials and tribulations, and the fun in making maps for Dos games.

I find this Square Dots template to be very helpful for map making. I customized the spaces from a free graph printing site, to suit for this purpose.

Here's the Eye of the Beholder level 1 dungeon I mapped last night :

9413004748_c7189bb48d_b.jpg

And the Waxworks pyramid level from my previous thread :

waxmap1.jpg

Attachments

• Filename
    squaredots.pdf
    File size
    114.83 KiB
    Downloads
    108 downloads
    File comment
    Square Dots Mapping Template
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 1 of 7, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's a page from my Legend of Grimrock playthrough.

2mz04ft.jpg

Attachments

• Filename
    20130731_224018.jpg
    File size
    3.6 MiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File comment
    Full Res.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 7, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have always been a terrible guy for making maps. God bless the automapping feature. On the other hand, I agree that making maps hand-made it's a form of "lost" art.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 3 of 7, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One of the main challenges while making a map, is that you will never know in which direction the path will proceed and for how long. Frequently, many rough sketches may be required and the final map has to be reconstructed for legibility.

If beginning from the centre of the paper, the squares may shoot above the upper border while the bottom part may be empty, and so on. And this is true for placing the beginning square in any area. Sometimes we begin from the bottom, thinking that the path leads north, but soon it takes a full turn and goes beyond the south border of the paper.

A large paper or a paper with smaller squares may help to chart the map more efficiently without using multiple papers.

Another common problem is that misjudging or mistakenly shortening or lengthening each square, especially if the template square is very small. Sometimes, moving around, the supposedly meeting pathway won't meet because of this. Sometimes pathways will meet or cross another path, and mistakes in the lines of squares will make the paths meet at wrong points, or sometimes will miss meeting that path completely.

All these may seem very confusing unless one has experienced making the maps.

And finally, these maps are only feasible to make with step-based games like the Eye of the Beholder game.

Fortunately, smooth scrolling games like Ultima Underworld series have the auto-mapping feature.

It's more difficult in top-down scrolling games like Ultima VI. And making the maps of the underground mazes and caves in this type of game is more difficult because of the scrolling, which makes it harder to chart on the paper. The same problem holds true for the outdoor worlds too, and a close view map is sorely needed here, especially with the limited main window. There are Ultima maps available online, but that will be like reading a gamefaq, which will spoil the fun.

Most of us, on the other hand, have learnt to memorize the approximate locations in these type of games anyway.

The included maps which come with these games have views that are too far above, and is more like a country/continent atlas, that is practically useless for local navigation.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 4 of 7, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

heh, back in the day I made EOB2 maps too... sadly they did not survive the test of time 🤣 , thanks for sharing these pics!

For anyone not feeling old-school enough there is "THE ALL-SEEING EYE" , an EOB1/2 automapper that works next to dosbox: http://personal.inet.fi/koti/jhirvonen/ase/

sh1small.jpg

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 7, by Hater Depot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I always thought computer games were neat, but it wasn't until I played the original Adventure and made maps for it that one enthralled me. Making the maps was the best part. After a day or two of playing, I had a rolled-up set of maps that looked like ancient scrolls for a treasure map. It was the best and I wish I still had them.

Korea Beat -- my cool translation blog.

Reply 6 of 7, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I do still map stuff by hand on occasion, though not often. The last time was when playing Neutopia for the TG-16 on my Wii. Other maps I've drawn up by hand while playing include the original Metroid, The Legend of Zelda, and the last level in Skate or Die 2, since it's a freakin' 3-dimensional maze that takes longer to get through than all the previous levels COMBINED. x_x;

Personally though, I much prefer automaps because I like games to be completely self-contained. If I need to do something outside of the game in order to succeed at it, I find that breaks the immersion for me.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 7 of 7, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

certain games has already been mapped , and the maps can be found on game faqs, but I must admit. I used to map some games too, while I played them. One of those games was Lagoon (The SNES version). So I do know the art 😀