Check out my Retro-Ghetto build (2016 Update) 😀
Commodore 128D, iBook G3 "Clamshell"
3DO M2, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, NES, SNES, N64, GBC

Reply 1 of 19, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Too bad I already own them physically! NOTE that Quake + missionpacks, Quake2 + missionpacks, Hexen and Hexen II all lack CD tracks.

And there's still the lack of the 2009 Wolfenstein game, and the lack of Heretic II.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 19, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

Too bad I already own them physically! NOTE that Quake + missionpacks, Quake2 + missionpacks, Hexen and Hexen II all lack CD tracks.

And there's still the lack of the 2009 Wolfenstein game, and the lack of Heretic II.

Yea, I replaced most of my DISKS with CD versions a couple years back. I don't own a copy of RAGE on PC yet, but I hear it's pretty buggy.

All the same, this may help those who are missing some id titles. Pretty cheap deals.

Heretic II uses the id 2 Tech engine, and is also developed by Raven Software but it was published by Activision instead of id.
Wolfenstein (2009) was co-developed by id, so I'm not sure why it's missing from the list.

P.S. DOOM III BFG adds 1080p support (upgrade to id Tech 5 engine), incl. all expansions, no swapping weapons w flashlight, plus ULTIMATE DOOM, DOOM II, plus expansion "No Rest for the Living" NERVE.WAD - STILL amazing in 2013!!

Last edited by simbin on 2013-08-02, 17:06. Edited 1 time in total.

WIP: 486DX2/66, 16MB FastPage RAM, TsengLabs ET4000 VLB

Reply 6 of 19, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

I was really hoping that since Atari/Infogrames was going bankrupt that someone might get the rights back to Keen 6, but no such luck yet.

I just hope EA, Ubisoft, Sony or Microsoft doesn't get them!!

WIP: 486DX2/66, 16MB FastPage RAM, TsengLabs ET4000 VLB

Reply 7 of 19, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GL1zdA wrote:

Just bought them all. I have most of them, but it is convenient to have them on Steam.

As did I, but since I had some of the items I had to choose a couple of items individually and others I could pick the packs 😁

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 8 of 19, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think it's also Bethesda's day - 75% off for both Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas + DLCs (until August 4th).

It's curious but there is a warning on Steam store claiming Fallout 3 isn't compatible with Windows 7

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 10 of 19, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

I think it's also Bethesda's day - 75% off for both Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas + DLCs (until August 4th).

It's curious but there is a warning on Steam store claiming Fallout 3 isn't compatible with Windows 7

Technically speaking, many games are not confirmed to work on Vista or later but there seems to always be a work around 😉

For instance, I wanted to get the entire Quake series and there are quite a few HD mods along with enhanced OpenGL engines out there.

I use the DarkEngine x64 bit build for running Quake and the Expansion Packs.

It allows me to run my default 1920 x 1080 desktop resolution with a nice 102 degree FOV setting.

Reply 11 of 19, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I tend to stay away from atmosphere-ruining "HD packs" and just try to use as faithful representation of a game as possible within modern sensibilities of game backend design. Hell the strange disadvantages of almost every accellerated engine out there is why Engoo and DirectQ exist.

HD/HRP packs are fun for a short while, but the novelty will wear out so quickly. Kinda like all the sensation about jDoom's flares and model packs caved in with its own uncannyness.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 12 of 19, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

I tend to stay away from atmosphere-ruining "HD packs" and just try to use as faithful representation of a game as possible within modern sensibilities of game backend design. Hell the strange disadvantages of almost every accellerated engine out there is why Engoo and DirectQ exist.

HD/HRP packs are fun for a short while, but the novelty will wear out so quickly. Kinda like all the sensation about jDoom's flares and model packs caved in with its own uncannyness.

I get you, I like them both so I play them both, it's just really fun to play an old game, well the game data in a updated engine on new hardware 😉

Reply 13 of 19, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is there any way to change what Steam launches when I launch a game? I want it to lauch Wolf4SDL instead of DOSBox bundled with Steam and I want Steam to track my time playing Wolfenstein.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 15 of 19, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was hoping Doom 3 BFG was -75% but it was only -25%. Not quite sure where this -75% came from...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 17 of 19, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:

A bit of searching turns up some threads here and here that suggest renaming wolf4sdl.exe to dosbox.exe.

Thanks. I was hoping it would work without overwriting dosbox.exe, but it's OK.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices