VOGONS

Common searches

3dfx filter shader!

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 20 of 67, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I need to get that card working again so I can try framegrabbing it on some key points... though I really wonder just what the limit to shader languages and the pipeline itself really is.

Being able to have dithering like that again on 16-bbp games would be just simply amazing. I hate this banding crap the GPU vendors did.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 24 of 67, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

Saints Row The Third.

Thanks. I assumed it was a much older game, what with this topic being about 3DFX (I'm not well up on PC graphics cards!). I do have Saint's Row 3 (I bought the GOTY edition a while back), but haven't played it past the first few missions (I remember you couldn't go into first person view when driving (I have the XBox 360 version), you always see your car on-screen, unlike in the GTA 3 onwards games, is the PC version of SR3 the same?).

I'll have to give SR3 a proper go, and also go back to GTA V (a fantastic game*), I'd gotten quite far in the single player mode, then for some reason got distracted. I never played the multiplayer (I'm not a fan of online multiplayer), but the single player is great. Much better than GTA IV (I never liked that at all), and nearly as good as San Andreas (my all time favourite GTA style game). The Saboteur was another great GTA type game, and also Scarface, and Mafia (I've not played Mafia 2).

Reply 25 of 67, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I thought about using the Quake III Team Arena menu system to do something (for myself) - video test pages. Why didn't I think of this earlier?

This page should expose the filtering with the 50% dither pattern.
diag2.png

1 layer, 2 layers, 4 layers, 8 layers. Progressively they should be able to expose the dither pattern of the Voodoo more.
diag5.png

also it's her again 🤣
diag6.jpg
Not released yet as I didn't make many pages, and it currently only is accessed in a linear fashion (no menu yet)

Stuff I still need to do:
- Alpha blend page with overdraw and modulation test (which Rage will fail)
- Modulated blend page w/ detail texture samples (which Riva128 will fail)
- Rectangle textures (which Riva128 will fail)
- Texture switching test (a single model with like as many different surfaces as possible being spun)
- Large 30fps 512x512 video test (which Voodoo will fail)
- Even more filter tests to research the filter

Benchmarking and game probably won't work...

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 28 of 67, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

BUMP, I am porting this to GLSL!

q3dfx.jpg

Pass1: leifx_dither
Pass2: leifx_gamma
Pass3: leifx_filter
Pass4: leifx_filter
Pass5: leifx_filter
Pass6: leifx_filter

Good news: It's still six passes.
Bad news: It's not written for an injector so you can't easily try it for everything. also, the dither and filtering sucks, so this is considered preliminary at the moment.

Also I still wish I had interest and help from other shader programmers. I've only posted this shader in a few places and only got posts as good as 'cool'. I don't consider any praising sugar posts to be progress.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 29 of 67, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm kinda amazed and I'm not even sure what you did, but the things you do are kinda out of my reach anyway. You must be veeery intelligent.

I tried programming and I frankly suck at it (I make too many silly mistakes and loose track of what I'm doing constantly. Modding is as far as I can go).

I think your talents for programming are "somewhat" out of our league 😊

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 32 of 67, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Out of curiosity, how trivial/non-trivial would it be to convert it to a .fx for use with Dosbox? Or is that simply beyond what .fx allows you to do?

Intel CC820 | PIII 667 | 2x128MB SDRAM | 3Dfx Voodoo 5 5500 @ Dell P790 | Creative SB PCI128 | Fujitsu MPC3064AT 6GB + QUANTUM FIREBALLlct10 10 GB | SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-608 | IOMEGA ZIP 100 | Realtek RTL8139C | Agere Win Modem

Reply 34 of 67, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Lei-lei, do you think it could also be possible to recreate Voodoo1/2's fake trilinear filtering AKA Enable mipmap dithering AKA dem mipmap transitions with the use of a filter shader too? (Ignorant question)

You have probably seen it before, this is what it looks like:

MiY0J5B.png?2

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 35 of 67, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Fake trilinear is possible if it wasn't a postprocess shader but a shader applied to every triangle. Thsi proves it's possible to select different mips and the fake trilinear can be done via some sort of dither table between them. Somehow.

However since this is a post-process shader thread, it's not something I can do in that 🙁

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 36 of 67, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

Fake trilinear is possible if it wasn't a postprocess shader but a shader applied to every triangle. Thsi proves it's possible to select different mips and the fake trilinear can be done via some sort of dither table between them. Somehow.

However since this is a post-process shader thread, it's not something I can do in that 🙁

🙁 If you ever feel adventurous enough to experiment with that, I look forward to see the results.

Last edited by subhuman@xgtx on 2014-03-10, 19:55. Edited 1 time in total.

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 37 of 67, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

I've actually did try that a page back with poor results since this multipass shader doesn't work as well when it's one. The 4x1 filter is linear and needs to be applied four times.

Ah, okay, my bad; I overlooked the significance of what you were saying there.

Intel CC820 | PIII 667 | 2x128MB SDRAM | 3Dfx Voodoo 5 5500 @ Dell P790 | Creative SB PCI128 | Fujitsu MPC3064AT 6GB + QUANTUM FIREBALLlct10 10 GB | SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-608 | IOMEGA ZIP 100 | Realtek RTL8139C | Agere Win Modem