VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by gatz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In 1996, there was a dos point & click adventure game released by the name of Synnergist. It was notable for being Vicarious Visions' first video game - the company's founders supposedly made it in high school. Here's a plot blurb:

In Synnergist the player takes the role of Tim Machin, an ambitious young journalist forced by cruel circumstances to work for a trashy tabloid newspaper. Set in the year 2010, the game puts the player on the streets of New Arhus—a city of extremes, crammed with both cutting edge technology and the decaying remnants of a once proud past. Very soon, Tim finds himself on the trail of a sinister force that appears to be connected to the crime and killing...

Here's the interesting part. A magazine in the 90's called Coming Soon Magazine revealed that

The storyline to Synnergist is much deeper than it appears to be. There are some hidden easter eggs in the game that will reveal the secret to the game quite blatently if found and you'll know what Synnergist actually means. Vicarious Visions is offering a big grand prize to the first five people to discover these hidden easter eggs within the game. Coming Soon Magazine received this information from a reliable source at VV who says that even 21st Century and most of the developement team at VV don't even know they exist. The hidden areas will include new video sequences, rooms, puzzles, etc. If you think you've found these hidden easter eggs, you should email VV directly at chance@thematrix.com. To give you a start to finding these easter eggs, don't always assume that the word GO, goes to where you think it will.

Were these secrets ever found? I've completed it twice, but I can't find anything close to what Coming Soon Magazine says. I do think that there is some sort of secret in the game - the endings make little sense without something else to explain them. I've searched the internet, but I've found absolutely nothing on these supposed easter eggs, or Vicarious Vision's prize. Was this all a hoax to try to generate interest on a game that was a commercial failure?

Reply 2 of 11, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SKARDAVNELNATE wrote:

Sounds interesting. I hadn't heard of the game before and mobygames doesn't even bother linking the page to the normal sellers.

Games that are flops are usually difficult to find later on because there weren't that many copies sold in the first place. That's probably why there is no listing of a copy for sale to link to. A Google shopping search doesn't turn up any copies for sale, either, so it looks like the 17 year old mystery is going to remain a mystery for a while longer.

Reply 3 of 11, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I know a guy who knows a guy at VV. We'll push it up the food chain to see what they remember, but no promises. 😉

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 4 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Blue Ice was originally supposed to have a contest attached to it, but apparently the rules governing such things (see for instance Push, Nevada) are apparently quite strict and they never went through with it. The actual solution is rather thoroughly nuts, to put it mildly.

It's possible if there was actually a contest attached to Synnergist that the relevant bits were quietly excised before publication.

Reply 5 of 11, by gatz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Stiletto wrote:

I know a guy who knows a guy at VV. We'll push it up the food chain to see what they remember, but no promises. 😉

Thanks! I'm planning to eventually let's play the game, so I'd absolutely love to hear anything you dig up.

Reply 6 of 11, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gatz wrote:

I'm planning to eventually let's play the game, so I'd absolutely love to hear anything you dig up.

Looks like there already is one here. Maybe you could do a highlights video and explain the plot instead.

Reply 7 of 11, by gatz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The difference between a longplay and a let's play is fairly simple: a longplay has no commentary, while a let's play does. Even if there was a let's play of Synnergist on youtube, it doesn't mean that someone else can't do their own. Not to mention I made no comment on where I would be hosting the videos, or for what audience I would be let's playing for.

Reply 8 of 11, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SKARDAVNELNATE wrote:
gatz wrote:

I'm planning to eventually let's play the game, so I'd absolutely love to hear anything you dig up.

Looks like there already is one here. Maybe you could do a highlights video and explain the plot instead.

wow that's so bad it's almost hilaribad. i've never heard voice acting so terrible.

Reply 9 of 11, by gatz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just a heads up, I found one of the easter eggs. It doesn't tell me much about the plot, though. In chapter 3, if you don't collect more subway tokens when Tim is running low, you'll eventually be forced to go to the subway station at the Murder Scene location. In here, you'll witness a drug deal go bad, where one person ends up being stabbed.

SYNEE200.png

From there, you can either ignore the body and head to the skyline restaurant, for Tim's date with Jessica, or you can investigate the body. You have to investigate the body for this easter egg to appear, as far a I know. After the two cutscenes play out when Tim investigates the body -- including another black & white vision -- you're transported to the entrance of the skyline restaurant.

SYNEE201.png

Instead of investigating the body, you need to click Go To Subway. Normally, this would have the same effect as if you just brought up the map, but this time it leads to a secret area. It's worth noting that, normally, the arrow points to the left, but this time it points down. If you didn't investigate the body, this doesn't happen since you're on time for the dinner.

SYNEE100.png

There's a hooded man to talk to, but he just mutters some vague dialogue about watching "everything and nothing at the same time", before saying that you should be going. Then you can't interact with him at all. There are other things to interact with, but they seemingly have no effect on the plot progression. I can't tell if this area is supposed to lead to more secrets, and if you leave, you can't get back. Tim says that it's "interesting" that the second garbage bin is larger than the first, but that could just be another red herring that the game likes to throw at you. I'm wondering if the player is supposed to find a way to shut down the electricity so they can travel down the tracks, but there's seemingly no way to do that.

Does this ring any bells for anyone who played this game?

Reply 11 of 11, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here are the easter eggs and how to reach them, for those interested.

There's also a pretty cool interview with the studio's founder and project lead at the time. They discuss the easter eggs among other things.
I was intrigued by Synnergist upon hearing about it for the first time in ~2008-2009, as I don't think I ever saw it at the time or in any contemporary magazines in my area. I gave it a go once but it never quite clicked with me and I'm not especially fond of the art style. Still, it's a fun curiosity and it led to the creation of Vicarious Visions (RIP : - / )