VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by dada

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, I was thinking about this just now. I'm sure someone here knows the answer. What's the biggest program to ever be released commercially on floppies?
I actually thought of it when I saw this image. Maybe Windows 95 is a good candidate because it came on 13.
But I'm sure someone here knows some program (or game?) that came on even more floppies. 😀

Reply 1 of 17, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh, look what I still have on my hard drive.
os2w3.jpg

Attachments

• Filename
    os2w3.jpg
    File size
    210.13 KiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 17, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc767941.aspx

Microsoft Office 97 Standard edition is provided on a total of 45 diskettes. Microsoft Office 97 Professional edition is provided on a total of 55 diskettes. Depending on the options selected during Setup, you may not be prompted for every diskette.

However, it's only applicable if you expand the expression "released on" to "available on", because the product was released on cdrom and you had to order floppies with an enclosed coupon. Still, imagine the headache if one of the floppies near the end was bad...

Reply 3 of 17, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ripsaw8080 wrote:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc767941.aspx

Microsoft Office 97 Standard edition is provided on a total of 45 diskettes. Microsoft Office 97 Professional edition is provided on a total of 55 diskettes. Depending on the options selected during Setup, you may not be prompted for every diskette.

However, it's only applicable if you expand the expression "released on" to "available on", because the product was released on cdrom and you had to order floppies with an enclosed coupon. Still, imagine the headache if one of the floppies near the end was bad...

Since they had to be special ordered, I would imagine those would be pretty rare today.

Reply 4 of 17, by dada

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Man, 55 floppies, that's absolutely ridiculously large.
The most I've had was Wordperfect 6.0 on I think 15x 360KB floppies.

Reply 5 of 17, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I still have a special-order copy of DOS 6.2 on 360K 5 1/4" floppy disks. I'd have to go hunting through boxes to find it, but it came on 20-something disks. It's either as few as 21 or as many as 27, and either way is ridiculous. :D

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 6 of 17, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Office 4.3 came on 24 floppies. I found that when searching for copies of Office 97 Professional on floppy. That was the biggest one I found in my search.

Someone in this thread claims that Microsoft offered Office XP on over 250 floppies to special clients, but I think that's BS. That box would be so heavy it would cost more to ship than the price of the software on the disks. In fact, it would probably have been cheaper for Microsoft just to ship the customer a CD ROM drive so they can install from the CD.

http://superuser.com/questions/52038/what-was … d-for-a-product

Reply 8 of 17, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DonutKing wrote:
http://i.imgur.com/TGQjxuL.jpg […]
Show full quote

TGQjxuL.jpg

🤣 I can imagine that must be a long and frustrating install, especially considering how unreliable 1.44mb disks can be.

Reply 9 of 17, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can you imagine working in the IT department of the company that would have ordered Office XP on floppies (if it exists)? The boss comes in with this massive box of 250 disks and says "Install this software." That would be a classic "What would you do?" moment. Do you do it knowing it might take the entire day to finish and that if there is an error in the install process that you have to start over or risk losing your job by not doing it and insisting that the boss stop being so cheap and purchase an external CD ROM drive. Oh, and did I mention the company has 200 PC's that you have to install it on? Doh! 🤣

Reply 10 of 17, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Office 4.3 came on 24 floppies.

There was also a Pro version that came on... 31 disks, I believe it was. I have a copy of it around here somewhere, but IIRC it's missing a couple disks from the set.

Office 95 Standard was also sold in a floppy version, though the Pro version was a CDROM release.

Reply 11 of 17, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:

Can you imagine working in the IT department of the company that would have ordered Office XP on floppies (if it exists)? The boss comes in with this massive box of 250 disks and says "Install this software." That would be a classic "What would you do?" moment. Do you do it knowing it might take the entire day to finish and that if there is an error in the install process that you have to start over or risk losing your job by not doing it and insisting that the boss stop being so cheap and purchase an external CD ROM drive. Oh, and did I mention the company has 200 PC's that you have to install it on? Doh! 🤣

🤣 🤣

Sounds like one of those *extremely*, morally difficult Ultima character generation questions...

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 12 of 17, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The NewTek Video Toaster 4000 software came on 30+ floppies. There was a CD-ROM available too, but they weren't all that common on Amigas of the time period.

Reply 15 of 17, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:

even win3.1 allowed you to copy all its about 10 flopies to a hdd first and install it from there
same with win95 and its about 30 floppies

Reply 16 of 17, by PhaytalError

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The 1989 MS-DOS release of Dragon's Lair for EGA graphics cards came on 13, 5 1/4" disks

DOS Gaming System: MS-DOS, AMD K6-III+ 400/ATZ@600Mhz, ASUS P5A v1.04 Motherboard, 32 MB RAM, 17" CRT monitor, Diamond Stealth 64 3000 4mb PCI, SB16 [CT1770], Roland MT-32 & Roland SC-55, 40GB Hard Drive, 3.5" Floppy Drive.

Reply 17 of 17, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Didn't many of the late Amiga games come on a ton of floppies?

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel