VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is a SATA interface in IDE mode (UDMA/133 speed) limiting for a regular 7200 RPM 1 TB HDD when compared to SATA 6 GBit/s? I once ran AIDA64 Random Read on both XP x86 with the former and 7 x64 with the latter (with AMD AHCI drivers installed), and found the XP configuration to actually score slightly higher, despite NCQ and the other obvious advantages that AHCI offers.

Reply 2 of 4, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

AHCI allows for Native Command Queuing, which is a bit of a speed boost and hot plugging of drives. I have never tested the throughput on any of my WD Black 1TB SATAIII drives, but it likely is a bottleneck using PATA. That being said, if your choice is a PCI card with known quirky first gen SATA150 chipsets or using a PATA adapter, I would go with the latter. The PCI bus limits throughput anyway and the cards are way more hassle than its worth if they don't work 100% with the drive.

Reply 3 of 4, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The newest generation of drives can touch 200MB/sec on the inner tracks, so they would be somewhat limited by ATA/133 speed. But in general use it's actually pretty uncommon to peg out the transfer rate on a hard drive anyhow, so it's not likely that you'd even notice a difference unless you're dumping huge contigious files back and forth between drives constantly.

But it also depends what sort of interface you're using. A PCI SATA card will realistically only hit 90-100MB/sec at best, because there's only 133MB/sec total bandwidth to go around between all the PCI devices, and there's a certain amount of bus overhead too. If you're using an IDE->SATA converter, the speed will likely be limited even further... I wouldn't expect more than 50-60MB/sec out of those things.

IDE mode on a native SATA controller, OTOH, doesn't really have much of a speed disadvantage at all. While it's limited to the IDE command set, it's not limited to IDE speeds... a SATA/300 controller in IDE mode will still be able to do 300MB/sec (theoretically, anyway). NCQ and such really only show significant benefits on SSDs.

Reply 4 of 4, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was not aware of IDE emulation on SATA being capable of such high speed. For my drive device manager reports UDMA-6 as being active, so I figured it'd be limited to 133 MB/s as defined in that standard.