VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would like to learn how to make old school manual graphics. Starting with plane outline to colored.
I know a the basics of technical drawing and i know the basics of coloring and etc.

I would like to know are the graphics such as these:

14100_261_1.jpg

Drawn by hand, as i suspect, or was an program used, such as Auto Cad?
I think they are drawn by hand, but i have very little experience in angled technical drawing. But i would really love to learn more and make graphics for new tutorials for the retro scene and other.

I already made some simple technical stuff, like the SLi Voodoo 2 Cable:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/54462712/Retro/SLI3.png
And from experience with it, its not complex at all. But i like the style of the floppy image a lot more.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 1 of 5, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The cable came out nice 😀
Design programs were available, such as Autocad (Wikipedia says it was released on december 1982), but could be done by hand...as with other types of drawing, I guess doing perspective drawings is all about practice.

Reply 2 of 5, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am thinking Auto Cad, and naturally hand drawing, because of measurements. Auto Cad can easily accept commands for Angle/Length , and technical sketches are drawing with measuring devices such as rulers.
I guess i will try with Auto Cad. I have experience using it to draw 2D mechanical parts and components from sides. But i don't know can it easily export as an image.

And I'm guessing that awesome font is an typical typewriter font from that era. But i guess Terminal would look awesome too 😀

[Edit]

After experimenting a little bit, its hard to plan out the angles unless its in 3D.
So i will try 3D.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/54462712/ … wing1-Model.png

Reply 3 of 5, by fantasma

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You could also take pictures of the devices and trace them, but I guess it would be difficult to get an exact angle.
Nice cable guide btw!

Reply 5 of 5, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks Fantasma 😁
Yeah when i take a look at it it does seem like that, because of various uneven lines.

I tried modeling, but its a bit tricky for now. Hmmm.. Should explore image tracing too.