S-Video capturing

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 20, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
d1stortion wrote:

I've been using consoles with composite my whole life. S-Video really is such a huge step forward in quality to be honest. Even if it does bring out the dithering with PSX, N64 etc. I can't see myself going back to composite. Now I hope that when I get some RGB/component setups I'll be just as blown away, even though I know that likely won't be the case 🤣

The problem with S-Video is that it wasn't very popular in Europe. For example, PAL Gamecubes don't even offer it. Now I see Americans rave about SCART due to it being RGB capable but that connection has its set of issues too, those being its bad design which is bound to pull on the connector, causing it to become loose over time, and lack of seperate audio cables...

Yup svideo is certainly better than composite. I did a comparison of both with N64 and it is obviously more colorful and somewhat sharper as well. Actually none of my TVs have Svideo! I am running an abandoned Toshiba DVD recorder as a svideo to component intermediary. 😀

A few years ago I had a Dreamcast and it was really cool to have that VGA connection for cheap! The thought of having the pure RGB signal off of N64 is tempting but it sure is costly to get it.