To the Roland guys: SC88 or SC55mkII?

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 74, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

I mean they certainly did not create complex midi songs+"overlayed" sfx , they must have had a limit in their head regarding polyphony... ?

There seem to be people complaining about polyphony limitations with games all the time. Can't say I've run into that particular issue with any synth though...

Reply 62 of 74, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
carlostex wrote:

Any Italians around? Mountain of Sound Canvas:

http://www.ebay.it/itm/Roland-Edirol-SD-80-St … =item46127c784c

that ad is only for the Edirol SD-80 thing, the seller writes that the picture is "for illustration purposes only" and that he also has several other modules to sell and makes a list of them... for 289e you only get the Edirol

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 64 of 74, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just got a SC55 MKI, for a really nice price. Even managed to get a discount.

It's not the early one, basically it's the MKI with GM logo.

I think i will be just fine with this one.

Reply 65 of 74, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ YES!
test some DOOM/DN3D/Lands of Lore , compare with the MU-80 and report back how much you love it! 😁

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 66 of 74, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

^ YES!
test some DOOM/DN3D/Lands of Lore , compare with the MU-80 and report back how much you love it! 😁

Yeah, when it arrives! Actually i think Yamaha sounds better on DOOM and Roland might sound better on Duke 3D. It's always a matter of taste, i don't think Yamaha is that inferior to Roland. Also the stuff was composed for Sound Canvas mostly so Roland has the advantage on that. I will give my opinion on other GM games.

Reply 67 of 74, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ofcourse the yamahas are not bad, but you can't beat having the same module as the composer... wait and you'll see 😉

Reply 68 of 74, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

ofcourse the yamahas are not bad, but you can't beat having the same module as the composer... wait and you'll see 😉

I can't wait!! 😎

Reply 69 of 74, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yep, if you pay attention you will see that some channels/instruments have different volume/fx on the SC-55 and sound better and more detailed.
Even with the GM fixes this still exists, maybe a song re-write is in order. Don't get it wrong, tilakat's midi fixes are AWESOME and fix many stuff, I guess it the way the music was composed - to be heard from the output of a sc-55, no driver fix can alter that...
but enough OT from me 😀

Reply 70 of 74, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

Yep, if you pay attention you will see that some channels/instruments have different volume/fx on the SC-55 and sound better and more detailed.
Even with the GM fixes this still exists, maybe a song re-write is in order. Don't get it wrong, tilakat's midi fixes are AWESOME and fix many stuff, I guess it the way the music was composed - to be heard from the output of a sc-55, no driver fix can alter that...
but enough OT from me 😀

Yeah i've notice the volume differences. It's more noticeable in some specific games. On those i can definitely say that Roland sounds better, and in other games Roland's instruments sound a little bit better. But to my ears on a general rule Yamaha Drums always sound better than Roland. I'm a musician myself, although not a drummer, but Yamaha sounds less "synthy" ans more natural than Roland. Yamaha's weak spot seems to be some guitars, even though Roland ones don't sound good at all (i play electric guitar). Guitar distorted sound is one of the most difficult tones to achieve. Digital circuitry will never replace anolog in guitar amplification. The power of vacuum tubes man!!!! 😎

Anyway, i'll have a clearer picture when the Sc-55 arrives. For the moment, i love my MU80, great quality sound, great SNR ratio, well built, cool LCD and good features... For the price, i can't complain. The money i put for these 2 modules is probably what most people would have to pay just for one! 😀

Reply 71 of 74, by tikalat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

To me, Yamaha doesn't ''blend'' instruments in ways that are appealing to me. They have too much kick or power or cacophony and it sends my head in a disharmonic spin. Roland is '''weaker''' instrument quality in terms of '''natural''' but they mix okay without distracting - safer and somewhat less bounce. That's how I feel anyway.

Over time you get used to it. Like not turning up the Treble / Bass as much when you keep getting less younger. 😉

Distortion wrote:

Well how would we know what module was used though? Who says that the click noise isn't the right one? I'm listening to it like that right know and if anything, it sounds more correct to me. On both tracks it sounds like a ticking clock. On Spook the clicks are even panned to the left/right, respectively. To be sure we would need to contact Bobby Prince and ask what unit he used, even though I doubt he'd remember it at this point 😉

Looking at GM Sound Driver Enhancement thread, Duke3D has Drum CTF problem. Which I think affected the mkII models also in this game. That would partly imply Bobby Prince used original SC-55 = click.

Which could affect a bunch of other targets: Hocus Pocus, Blood, Magic Carpet, Blackthorne, Might and Magic IV + V. Add Doom engine games and even ROTT (B.Prince would've used a SC-55 v1 also then).

I'll have to upgrade my MIDI parser someday to detect these 2 instruments (click vs breath). After all these decades, who would've noticed. 😀

Very good catch BTW!

Reply 72 of 74, by Swampy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Duke Nukem 3D was composed for the SC-88 (at least Grabbag).

"Lee Jackson composed most of the music for Duke Nukem 3D. His history of
the title theme for Duke Nukem 3D follows:
By this time, I'd been out of the tech room for several months, having been
promoted to Music and Sound Director. I'd also been given a Roland SC-88
Sound Canvas, which I wanted to use to its full potential on Grabbag. I
played around with the GS features of the SC-88, got a good mix of sounds
that I liked, and got to work on fleshing out the rest of the song.
..."

http://www.rinkworks.com/apogee/s/2.8.14.1.shtml

Reply 73 of 74, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Redbook version of Grabbag on Plutonium Pak was done on a SC-88 but that's about it for that game. As it says in the article he only got the unit after the original release of the game and couldn't change the MIDIs to use its full potential (what a shame...). For Shadow Warrior he used a Kurzweil workstation for the Redbook tracks, although going by the sound of some of them there must be some SC-88 in there as well (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhN0i9hXGfs vs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzFCstZ8ykw).

Reply 74 of 74, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

it would be nice if someday a Shadow Warrior midi music patch appears... I hate having the cd in the drive 🤣