Common searches

To the Roland guys: SC88 or SC55mkII?

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 74, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not sure on the levels right now, but you can download the soundtrack here and just go by the names. Normally this is not a good way to investigate things because some instruments will differ from ingame playback but in this case the relevant part is same as ingame.

Reply 41 of 74, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I find the roland cm-500 recordings on youtube to be the most pleasing to my ears.

sc-88 sounds good too

=My Cyrix 5x86 systems : 120MHz vs 133MHz=. =My 486DX2-66MHz=

Reply 42 of 74, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

OK tested with "spook" song and tilakat's fixed version:
- with the SC-55 mk1 you hear the guitar click sample
- with the MU-80 you hear a breath-like instrument, reminds me of panpipes...

but what's the correct instrument? personally I think it's the guitar click sample , the panpipe doesn't stick well to me... but it could just be me 😊

Last edited by keropi on 2013-09-06, 22:04. Edited 1 time in total.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 43 of 74, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
d1stortion wrote:

There are SC-55 units (NOT mkII) which have the logo, so it would be interesting to know how those behave in this case.

Mine has both logos.

If you guys tell me exactly what / how to test and can take a look 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 44 of 74, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
d1stortion wrote:

There are SC-55 units (NOT mkII) which have the logo, so it would be interesting to know how those behave in this case.

Mine has both logos.

If you guys tell me exactly what / how to test and can take a look 😀

launch the fixed duke3d just to be sure
enter the 1st level
type DNSCOTTY310 , it warps you to level "Tier Drops" and listen to what it plays... it will either be a tik-tak sound or a pan-pipe one...

Actually I just realized that the name of the level "Tier Drops" might indicate that the guitar click sample is indeed the correct one. It does sound like "drops".
And the other level that uses the same guitar click sample is the "Launch Facility" one, which is an underground sewer level (DNSOTTY106) and it makes sense that the guitar click sample is used again for water drops... The breath/panpipe sample just seems out of place IMHO

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 45 of 74, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is the breath noise alternating between the left and right channel?

I get it in both units daisychained. The SC-55 with both logos and SC-55ST (MKII without LCD display).

I cycled through the parts on the SC-55 and it shows Breath Noise on the display.

Where can I get the fixed MIDI driver from?

My YouTube channel

Reply 46 of 74, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Recording attached. It sounds like this on the SC-55 and SC-55ST.

Attachments

• Filename
    Tier Drops on SC-55.mp3
    File size
    900 KiB
    Downloads
    122 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

My YouTube channel

Reply 47 of 74, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ you can grab the patches here: Apogee / 3D Realms - sound driver hacking

edit: yep, that's what I hear with the MU-80 too... on the mk1 SC-55 that breath sound that repeats in the song is replaced by a tik-tak sound...

Reply 48 of 74, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I never thought this thread would be full of General MIDI awesomeness. It doesn't even matter anymore, i'll get the SC88. From everything i can hear its SC55 map sounds pretty much like the real thing.

Reply 51 of 74, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bjt wrote:

I'm confused... so what's the best version of the SC-55 for DOS games? MK1 but with GM logo?

Before I bought my SC-55 I researched and concluded that the best version for the DOS games I like was the GS-only one mainly because of the tone fallback "feature" it had (see the relevant thread here: Calling all Roland SCC-1A Owners )
Apparently even in DN3D it is the only version that plays correctly the notorious breath/click songs... basically what makes it great is that the composers used the very same unit so you are almost certain you are hearing what they wanted you to hear... almost because sound drivers were buggy apparently, tilakat is doing an awesome job fixing them 😊

...basically you need several synths to cover everything 😵
would love to hear though what other people think about the situation

Reply 52 of 74, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To reiterate, you can manually adjust any GM+GS Sound Canvas to play the click noise (well with an external unit that is), so nothing is "missing". It just won't play back correctly out of the box, if the clicks are indeed the correct instrument in that case.

With lower end units like the SC-7 it'd be impossible to get correct playback as they lack variation tones save for additional drumkits though. So even changing stuff in the MIDI files wouldn't do anything here.

As per queststudios information, I believe that the World of Xeen issues are fixed by simply sending a GS reset before playing the game on GM+GS SCs. Once again it comes down to MIDI driver screwup.

Reply 53 of 74, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

d1stortion, can you do the test with XEEN and the SC-88?
Send a reset before the game starts and see if you get the arrow sfx (as per the instructions at the thread I linked at my previous post)
It will shed some light on the situation and clear things better IMHO.

Reply 54 of 74, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah I will do the test.
This is the thread I was talking about btw: http://queststudios.com/smf/index.php/topic,2483.0.html

It looks like I didn't read it through. Maybe correct playback is not possible on GM+GS units after all. I will expect it to perform wrong on my SC-88 then.

Edit: Well here are the recordings:
https://mega.co.nz/#!FBxknDTA!KZJe7TxzujU77Fn … iRzvfne19zREIOo (without patch)
https://mega.co.nz/#!xc4WRJ5I!QeB8UnW0-hgjVLC … hLarew_oW7M1x8A (with patch)

Since there is a patch available I wouldn't say that a non-GM SC-55 is really necessary for this game. And actually with all of the SFX going on this could be hogging the MIDI synth more than other games, so something with higher polyphony might be preferable here...?

Also, protip... don't update to Audacity 2.0.4 if you intend on recording. I did so and couldn't record the line in at all. Only going back to 2.0.3 fixed it 😵

Reply 55 of 74, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

great, thanks for testing...
about higher polyphony, doesn't this need support from the game engine/data? I mean they certainly did not create complex midi songs+"overlayed" sfx , they must have had a limit in their head regarding polyphony... ?

Reply 56 of 74, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote:

...basically you need several synths to cover everything 😵
would love to hear though what other people think about the situation

That's exactly what the situation is 😀

Get every unit to cover your bases. 🤣

My YouTube channel

Reply 57 of 74, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

🤣

It's been so long since I played World of Xeen. But I only use my SB cards for digital output, unless I wanted to test things. Generally I use the MKII only for SC/GS/GM music. I guess the SB cards should be enough to produce the arrow sounds? (Can't remember).

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 58 of 74, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ sadly no, they made the game outputting some sfx via the midi device... much like uw1's footsteps

Reply 59 of 74, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

That's exactly what the situation is 😀

I'll have to settle with one only. The SC88 will be enough.