VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

First and foremost I'm the unhappy owner of a Western Digital Caviar Green Drive; WDC WD10EADS-22M2B0

It takes a grand total of 7 minutes and 20 seconds for everything on my computer to boot up.
I've done everything from defragmentation to clearing out everything to a bare system startup... It still takes a ungodly long time just to finish booting.

And starting any program can take anywhere from 30 seconds to a minute and a half to load while I watch the hard drive light freeze on or strobe constantly.

In resource monitor I get disk queue lengths well above 2.xx sometimes all the way up to 15.57 when I try to open something new or whenever the system is booting up cold. Google searches (please tell me if I'm wrong) indicate to me there's a serious problem because the length should never reach 2 let alone above 2.

I've checked the S.M.A.R.T. and it returns "Healthy" which to me sounds like a bold face lie given all the crap I'm putting up with this approaching worthlessness drive.

Defragging, and installing stuff over the years has actually caused the drive to slow down WORSE everytime I do it.

Looking up even more searches I'm reading that my partition may be out of alignment and I have to realign the whole damn thing, at the cost of if a power outage occurs I LOOSE EVERYTHING.

I've NEVER had a harddrive in my life act this retarded, the one in my old Windows XP x64 edition computer works like a charm, the one my old Quantex (that had a Pentium 2...) worked like a charm as well...
Did I just get a bad drive or does Western Digital make horrible drives in general? I seriously doubt this can be attributed to "power saving" that the Green series touts around.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 1 of 14, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

EADS is AFAIK not an advanced format (4K) disk (as opposed to EARS which is), so the partition alignment shouldn't really matter.

First, try to measure the physical hdd speed so you can see if its a hard drive or bus problem. I use some old build of http://software.vgrin.host56.com/diskspeed32 but any similar app should work. You don't need to run it through, just see if you get a good speed at the beginning - anything above 50MB/s would be ok. If it's below that, then it's either a problem with the disk itself (bad blocks) or the interface (PIO mode...).

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 2 of 14, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've speed tested my drive before and in such tests I get around 100 MB/sec at most, I've tested for bad blocks using both chkdsk and several other utilities and there are no bad blocks on this drive to my knowledge so far...

This drive IS running in "legacy PATA" mode because Windoze would BSOD otherwise and I'm nervous about registry editing the driver, but that still never solved the problem as when I was running Linux for a moment in SATA mode, the drive still performed piss poor reading off of it.

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 3 of 14, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would just get a new drive, to be honest. Whenever a hard drive starts to run unusually slowly, that usually means it's in its dying throes.

Reply 4 of 14, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got one of those, and they're really slow.

First, keep on mind that it is really a 5400 rpm hard drive with some quirks to enhace performance. WD says it should perform as good as a 7200 rpm drive, but it is a lie. It performs as good as a laptop hard drive. BTW, ]Toms Hardware tested your hard disk and measure about 100 mb/s, so your speed is normal. Having SATA AHCI enabled should make the drive go faster (because of NCQ and those things), but it won't be a great gain.

My advice: if you are worried about performance, stay out of those "green drives".

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 6 of 14, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

After all this discussion, I still don't get why the 7 min boot up time should be related to the HDD speed. It could as well be some driver time out.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 7 of 14, by fantasma

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have read that those drives have a very short lifespan because of the power saving technology they use, Intellipark. If I understood correctly it parks the reading and writing heads after 8 seconds of inactivity, so in a normal use scenario it's constantly parking/unparking them, thus wearing out the drive.

There's an utility that lets you change that period of time to 300 seconds (it's called wd_idle or something like that), but I don't think it reverts the damage already done.

Reply 8 of 14, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You don't mention what OS and motherboard/chipset.

It can be the IDE emulation vs native AHCI issue, but I do not recommend changing it after OS has been installed.

It can also be an issue between some old SATA controller and the new drive. The drive has 3Gbit/s interface, but maybe the motherboard has only 1.5Gbit/s interface? Or maybe the cable is for 1.5Gbit/s operation while both the drive and motherboard try to use 3Gbit/s?

Reply 9 of 14, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elianda wrote:

After all this discussion, I still don't get why the 7 min boot up time should be related to the HDD speed. It could as well be some driver time out.

I know it's the HDD because as it's booting up the light strobes constantly and I hear alot of thrashing going on, hell just traversing the filesystem on a linux live CD takes forever half way through doing so. When I first installed the OS and got this drive it was really quick to boot and launch stuff on, I always regularly defragmented every two weeks, and overtime that apparently caused this drive to start working slower and slower to the point the bootup time has a grand total of 7 minutes as opposed to 1 and a half minutes I remember it taking a few years back...

fantasma wrote:

I have read that those drives have a very short lifespan because of the power saving technology they use, Intellipark. If I understood correctly it parks the reading and writing heads after 8 seconds of inactivity, so in a normal use scenario it's constantly parking/unparking them, thus wearing out the drive.

There's an utility that lets you change that period of time to 300 seconds (it's called wd_idle or something like that), but I don't think it reverts the damage already done.

Wow... I'm never getting another WD drive if this is what really happened to it, what the hell were they thinking with that decision?

Jepael wrote:

You don't mention what OS and motherboard/chipset.

It can be the IDE emulation vs native AHCI issue, but I do not recommend changing it after OS has been installed.

It can also be an issue between some old SATA controller and the new drive. The drive has 3Gbit/s interface, but maybe the motherboard has only 1.5Gbit/s interface? Or maybe the cable is for 1.5Gbit/s operation while both the drive and motherboard try to use 3Gbit/s?

It's a MSI 970A-G46 (MS-7693) 2.0

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 10 of 14, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It sounds like it could be a case of horrendous fragmentation but frankly I've never seen that happen and you say you've been defragging anyway. Perhaps boot a Linux distribution like Parted Magic and run an extended SMART test. This distro ships with a handy drive health utility. This will take hours because it will scan the entire disk surface. Look at the SMART stats for anything ugly like lots of reallocated sectors.

You really should avoid using Green drives as a OS drive though because they are years behind the curve in performance. They have awful seek performance and pretty poor sequential performance that makes me not even want to use them for archival purposes...

Also, the WD10EADS (and other Greens of the time) will often automatically be put into SATA 1 mode by chipsets/drivers. There's some issue with their SATA 2 mode. This isn't a performance issue because the drives can't saturate 150MB/s in practice anyway.

FWIW, on Intellipark, I had a WD10EACS for years and it never died even after being used always-on in a NAS. Intellipark on that drive actually causes stuttering in games for example because the stupid drive parks the heads too often and causes transfer delays. WD10EADS is better behaved but I do have one of those as well and it is definitely still no speedy drive. There is a DOS utility to disable Intellipark if you so desire.

Reply 11 of 14, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As soon as I'm able to install a working CD drive I'll boot that distro up, though I hope I can get away with using a flash stick or something as well...

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 12 of 14, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DracoNihil wrote:

As soon as I'm able to install a working CD drive I'll boot that distro up, though I hope I can get away with using a flash stick or something as well...

Yup you can boot it on a flash stick. http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Reply 13 of 14, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cool, thank you. I'll post back when I have all the results in place.

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 14 of 14, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ermmm....try this :

Delete your user profile, after saving your documents or other important user-specific folders.

Create a new user profile and check it out.

Uninstall any unused or unnecessary programs too.

I did this for one of my laptops which was trashing the hard disk like mad, and it took something like what you said to finish booting up till the system became responsive to my actions. That system was running XP.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers