VOGONS

Common searches

No trading area?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by tokyoracer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I honestly thought I remembered there was a trade area here. I'm sure I even bought a thing or 2 here too without any problems personally. Now I understand why one would remove such a feature, incase people got scammed for example but I should think it would be so un-common and the community here (which to me seems a really pleasent one) would more then make up for any short-falls that might happen from the odd time. So-long as the buyer knows the risks and the site outright says it won't be held responsible for any loss of goods or cash, I fail see the harm in it personally.

I am actually infact after several retro PC items that don't often crop up on here or other sites (unless it's at "eBay 🤣" price anyway). Voodoo's, RAM, various oldschool PCI/ISA stuffs off the top of my head are all things that I am in need of currently. Which is why i'm actually bringing this up as i'm sure there's some real gold out there somewhere that someone might not be in need of that I could put to good use. Sure I can probably source some of them elsewhere in time but I just think i'd rather get it from people who know and love old PC gaming like myself.

My 2 pennies anyway...

Reply 2 of 14, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yes it's kind of a bummer but understandable... at AmiBay we had to deal with scammers, that's not a pleasant situation... we even have a couple open cases atm...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 14, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
tokyoracer wrote:

I fail see the harm in it personally.

The "harm in it" is when something eventually goes horribly wrong, and it's not just a matter of one member scamming another or sending them a counterfeit or broken item. It's more of a matter of the inevitable mud that gets slung around after a deal goes bad. The owners of this forum would rather not risk a lawsuit from someone who feels their professional reputation has been negatively impacted in some way because they allowed someone to go on a rant against them. Frequently you only get to hear one side of the story, that of the person who feels they have been wronged in some way. Unless both parties are members here, the alleged "bad guy" will not be able to tell their side of the story and everyone automatically forms a negative opinion of that person based on the only information they have been exposed to, which is always biased. Libel/slander laws vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, but some carry a stiff penalty and damage awards. A guitar forum I am a member of banned all posts advertising items for sale or trade after a particularly nasty incident (the thread in question was over 60 pages by the time the dust settled) resulted in a legal notice being sent to the owners.

Reply 4 of 14, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It kind of sucks, since there are a few retro items I want to buy that I've been having a hard time finding a good deal for on Ebay, but it's better that this forum bans trading rather than risking lawsuits.

Reply 6 of 14, by tokyoracer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote:

yes it's kind of a bummer but understandable... at AmiBay we had to deal with scammers, that's not a pleasant situation... we even have a couple open cases atm...

Thing is it happens everywhere, hell it happened to me for the first time on AmiBay not 2 months ago and I will still never seen that money again no matter what is done about it. I understand the risk and so-long as others do then what's the issue? Also PayPal has buyer protection aslong as the individual pays for whatever as "goods". Still, in near 200 transactions, it's the first one to go sour for me.

I genuinely think it would do more good then harm to have one here too as not everyone uses/likes AmiBay which is understandable.

The thread "collector" posted has alot of good points on there that I feel far outweighs the risks involved. I was a bit of a fool to have traded with someone that insisted on bank transfer only and had no feedback (and was a new member). I should have noticed but I didn't so I don't blame anyone but me for that. However most people here seem to be decent and wouldnt risk being banned over achieveing a few extra quid/dollers/euros/etc. AmiBay is just as risky as it is anywhere on the internet.

Reply 7 of 14, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Re: VOGONS is no marketplace! :

Qbix wrote:

The decision to disallow it, is not up for discussion; the rules are not in a-might-be-changed state. They already have changed at the moment I made the post.

Qbix = Administrator of this Forum.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 9 of 14, by tokyoracer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Malik wrote:

Re: VOGONS is no marketplace! :

Qbix wrote:

The decision to disallow it, is not up for discussion; the rules are not in a-might-be-changed state. They already have changed at the moment I made the post.

Qbix = Administrator of this Forum.

I'm not trying to debate it, just giving my own personal thoughts, I just think many here are missing out and it seems a shame that something that could well succeed isn't even being trialled. Though I honestly think deals from long established users here are nothing to be afraid of, who would screw someone over that has a good well known reputation here and would want to lose the possible support from a forum like this? Maybe perhaps give users access to such an area after so many posts or something.

Reply 10 of 14, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I'm not trying to debate it, just giving my own personal thoughts

really?

Though I honestly think deals from long established users here are nothing to be afraid of, who would screw someone over that has a good well known reputation here and would want to lose the possible support from a forum like this? Maybe perhaps give users access to such an area after so many posts or something.

Thanks for your thoughts. You can post as many as you want (though at some point a moderator with more power than me will stop it) but it will not change what Qbix wrote. NO TRADING!!! The owner of the forum does not want to have anything to do with this stuff. PERIOD!

So, please just leave it alone.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 11 of 14, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

How about a "For Free - As is" section? I suppose issues could come up with that as well - the cost of shipping for items "not as described".

On the other hand, the idea has come to mind: What do we do with our precious vintage computer hardware when we die? Most likely, nobody in your family will know what to do with it. If we have a "For Free - As is" section, we could stipulate in our Will to have all vintage computer hardware donated on the "Vogons.org - For Free - As is" thread. At least in this forum, you know your vintage computer collection will be used, which is entirely different from donating it to some of these other, more collection-oriented forums.

This was only a hypothetical example, rhetoric mostly. I'm not really for or against a "For Free - As is" thread.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.