VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does anyone bother to bloat their system with that crap ... intentionally? like for kicks? etc.

I personally find the blue circles and lines more stylish than the stock Windows98SE theme, though I never attempted to install IE4 over Win98SE to see if that would work.... same goes for its 'gray/sky blue' icon scheme.

The channel bar and active desktop can all go to hell though.

I haven't actually ran the IE4 installer since early 1998... and i've always dodged the IE4 installer on Win95C first boot with the three-finger-salute since.

I also remember a bunch of DEC machines with it preloaded going well with the OEM theme it had going.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 10, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For my W95osr2 installs I go:

IE4
IE5
Desktop Update
USB supplement
USB update
USB Flash update

This gets USB1.1 operating ok [no luck with USB2 yet] and Windows Explorer works pretty much like W98se at this point. I don't go on line so the IE updates are purely for the navigation and shell enhancements they offer. I trim out some of the bloat manually afterwards, along with a general effort to remove unnecessary W95 programs/apps/gunk. The look and feel works for me - in fact I quite like 95...

Reply 3 of 10, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On a second thought, is the topic about the UI changes (IE look in Explorer) in Win98 or what? If so I don't care for these, even though I think the back/forward buttons are handy. For my Win98SE I don't install any 3rd party patches other than the USB mass storage driver as I don't try to make it run modern stuff.

Reply 4 of 10, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not sure either, but the back/forward button is the big 'thrill' as far as I'm concerned, and worth the trouble for me - also I like the way navigation windows can be modified and saved better - though I don't like "View as a web page'.

I agree that for W98SE not much else is needed. But I do install Unofficial SP v2.1a, and SP v3 'IE6 Core only' install option to get USB2 up and running [with nUSB33 as well]. Visual Basic 6, Dx9.0c, and a couple of old Quicktimes round out the package.

Reply 6 of 10, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I sometimes install IE4 for the taskbar shortcuts - the quicklaunch buttons. I used the word 'sometimes' because I keep tinkering with my classic systems, and I couldn't remember how many times I have re-installed again and again, Windows 95c in those systems.

Whatever the case maybe, I always turn off those 'channels' and 'active desktop'. Actually it's the first thing I do after installing IE4.

Currently my Pentium II has been there for quite sometime now, and have not tried to build anymore Windows 95-friendly systems for now. Haven't installed IE4 in this system yet. Just playing some basic Windows 95 games - MechCommander 1, etc.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 7 of 10, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Malik wrote:

Whatever the case maybe, I always turn off those 'channels' and 'active desktop'. Actually it's the first thing I do after installing IE4.

Same here..

Reply 9 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
tincup wrote:
For my W95osr2 installs I go: […]
Show full quote

For my W95osr2 installs I go:

IE4
IE5
Desktop Update
USB supplement
USB update
USB Flash update

This gets USB1.1 operating ok [no luck with USB2 yet] and Windows Explorer works pretty much like W98se at this point. I don't go on line so the IE updates are purely for the navigation and shell enhancements they offer. I trim out some of the bloat manually afterwards, along with a general effort to remove unnecessary W95 programs/apps/gunk. The look and feel works for me - in fact I quite like 95...

But if you're going to install IE5 and everything else, why wouldn't you just install 98se and get the USB2 support?

Reply 10 of 10, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:

...But if you're going to install IE5 and everything else, why wouldn't you just install 98se and get the USB2 support?

... for the games that are happiest under 95, the ones you may run into niggling little problems with under W98; like Hind 3dfx, Apache Longbow 3dfx, Aces of the Deep and a few/bunch of others - not a lot but enough interesting ones to justify the separate install. I was explaining this in another thread - there games in the early/mid 90's that got 3dfx official upgrade patches during the W95 era but that weren't popular enough to have updates continue through the subsequent appearance of W98, and these tend to be more stable in W95.

W95 is also cool.