VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Splitting this off from the Windows 95 Setup Guide thread so as to not hijack it.

Feel free to chime in or tell me if I'm just a moron trying to get these to run for myself.

I recently wiped and redid the second machine in my signature and kept notes of all the Windows only games I had as I installed them.

For standardization's sake my setup is as follows:
ASUS P3V133 (All latest ASUS chipset/AGP drivers installed after first reboot when Win98se was installed)
Pentium III 933mhz (Slot 1 133mhz FSB, 512k cache, I'll add the specifics later)
512MB PC133 RAM (Specifics later)
ASUS V8460 128MB Geforce4 Ti 4600 (ASUS 45.23 drivers from ASUS site)
Techworks Power Vortex 2 SuperQuad (Original driver disc drivers. Same disc I uploaded to the VOGONS drivers site)
DVD writer as an optical drive (Model later)
Win98se with unofficial 2.1sp
DirectX 8.1(a) (Have to check if it's the original 8.1 or 8.1a)

The only games I 100% could not get working were (with notes):

- Total Mayhem, Would hang when first run after install at the univbe detect
- Shanghai: Great Moments, CTD every time I try to run it
- Silent Thunder: A-10 Tank Killer II, black video screen (but sound works) in fullscreen, though windowed mode worked fine just too small on my screen
- Outpost 2: Divided Destiny, CTD every time I try to run it
- Commanche 3, Installer wouldn't load, gave me video issues left and right (Had issues installing on my DOS machine but that's another story)
- Star Trek: Klingon, No video on load, audio works fine

Halcyon: PC Chips M525, P100, 64MB, Millenium 1, Voodoo1, AWE64, DVD, Win95B

Reply 1 of 1, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've heard that the original version of the Magic the Gathering PC game won't work on Win98, which is strange because I distinctly remember my dad playing it on Win98 without any issues.