Common searches

Best bugs in video games ever.

Topic actions

First post, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can name quite a few, but I'm curious what others have experienced that would make them face palm or headdesk.

Unreal:
In version 200 retail, loading a save game while you have armour makes all the armour you have useless, picking up armour does not solve the problem.

The engine itself tends to crash on a hair pin in stark comparison to idTech3, even Tim Sweeny mentions that his engine does not gracefully handle alot of bad cases, the 227 patch fixes a majority of these like the bsp occlusion light overflow crash and such.

Shogo:
Some single player levels start you in a unfair position where you will die in less than three seconds if you're playing on harder difficulties, the Laser Rifle for whatever reason deals more damage in the hands of a enemy than it does in the hands of the player. There are also parts where, depending on how the game is executing, you will be unable to progress most likely. (The air shaft you jump down to in that one MCA mission leading up to the first onfoot mission, and the air intake when Ryo betrays you)

Deus Ex:
There is a voice over that's in stereo, particularly the line "Mr. Tong deals with business men." that will almost certainly crash the sound system if there is ANY OTHER audio present in the scene. (which there is unavoidably)

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 1 of 34, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Deus Ex's handling of speech is a bit of a trainwreck as it only deals with one MP3 stream at a time.

Also Deus Ex had a speech bug with the chinese guard in the earlier versions. You know, the "you should all you should all you should all/ the side street the side street the side street" guy

that's the only case I remember hearing that. On the other hand, Ground Control briefing conversations i've never heard them NOT HAVING LOOP BUGS.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 34, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, I think I ran across that many years ago with Dues Ex leilei... It's also a pain in the ass to make conversations properly because apparently the game is sensitive to the bitrate of the MP3 itself.

And more bugs:

Starsiege:
Occasionally for no obvious reason, the terrain will flash black and your framerate will drop to 5 FPS for a few seconds before returning to normal, it seems to be caused by dynamic lights but often it just outright happens regardless. This is a bug with the OpenGL renderer that wasn't fixed until Tribes came out, and only then it was only fixed in Tribes 1's version of DarkStar. These bugs did NOT happen with software or Glide.

Certain images pasted into the chat will crash the client with "Pure virtual function call" errors, notoriously I used to abuse this alot when I was a mad little kid who hated everyone.

Tribes:
Spamming the server with a large string filled with \x99 will cause the server to silently close, sending malformed packets to the server will crash it silently as well.

Dividing by zero or having trigonometric errors that result in NaN will "crash" the game but upon hitting "OK" the game functions as if nothing happened... though all clients will lag out obviously because the dialog stalls the main loop thread.

Deleting non existent objects will cause "Pure virtual function called".

Certain BMP files tossed into the sky will silently crash clients, depending on their drivers running the OpenGL renderer, may\maynot crash Glide and defiantly does not crash software. Also holds true for BMP's used for LaserData datablocks.

Loading BMP's of differing world palettes will either crash the game or produce psychedelic looking textures.

Trying to use .DTS files that do not have the proper animation and skeleton as a PlayerData datablock will crash the game with a windows GPF. (null pointer I could only guess)

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 3 of 34, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here's some that I've experienced myself...

Final Fantasy III SNES - Evade is Useless
This game's loaded with bugs, believe it or not, but the most blatant one is that the "Evade" stat does absolutely nothing. Increasing "M.Block" affects both magic evasion AND regular evasion. Go figure. :P

Pokémon Red/Blue - Get Mew... No Really...
I remember all kinds of theories and uselessness about how to get Mew floating around the net early in the days of Pokémon, but then at some point in time, someone figured out that there was indeed a way to do it by exploiting a couple bugs, however, to pull this off without the aid of cheat devices meant you had to pretty much plan right from the moment you started a new game to go for Mew, and you have to play for quite a number of hours to get far enough in to teach "Fly" to a Pokémon before you can actually trigger the glitch, but having actually attempted this myself on my own cart... and SUCCEEDING... I know it works. :D

Stunts / 4D Sports Driving - Shortest Race Ever
This one's kinda annoying, but you have to admit, if you don't like someone's high score on a track, it makes it easy to clear it. Once you start a drive, just immediately accelerate and turn. Within split seconds, you'll slow to a stop and the game will think you've crossed the finish line legitly. You won't even get a penalty time! XD

Doom - Doors are Crashy
I went a long time without patching my copy of Doom up to v1.9, primarily because I liked being able to have over 200% health. I even challenged myself once to get over 300% health legitimately on the lowest skill setting. (I did succeed but there was lots of reloading involved.) One side effect to sticking with such an old version though was that I couldn't save under open doors, otherwise attempting to reload the save would crash the game. :P

Sonic the Hedgehog - Ducking is Crashy
Here's another crashy one. At the end of one of the Labyrinth Zone acts (I forget if it was the first or second) just duck after you cross the signpost. Works every time, and you get to see Sonic Team's crash handler. :D

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 6 of 34, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Next to game breaking bugs and annoying bugs, games like half life have interesting bugs that actually add to game enjoyment.
Like for example:

1. Bunny hop - Where you press jump at the exactly right moment to increase speed of movement.
2. Air accelerate - Where you can magically move in the air, and where there is low gravity accelerate very fast with the use of air movement and/or bunny hop. Some counter strike servers have Biohazard zombie mod where you have an parachute that makes you float in the air a bit. Using this and various kinds of speed boosts you can perform some neat flying.
3. Long jump - Using air accelerate movement, aka jumping and quickly doing strafes in the air (a strafe is pressing an direction button and moving the mouse pointer into that direction, than after a certain length back to the opposite side : A + Mouse left => B + Mouse right , as much as possible during the jump) the player can achieve jumps over normal boundaries, aka running and simply jumping. Maximum jump with out air control is 215 game units. With extremely tricky long jumps player can reach up to 272 units, or maybe more. But this requires 8 strafes during a single jump, and that seems almost impossible. There are a few types of long jump that include different jump preparation techniques.
4. Surfing - Any tilted surface to a certain angle will allow player to glide on it. The player ca jump onto an angled surface and simply hold one of the direction keys ( For example, the object is on the left of the player, the player will jump and press A button, aka command to strafe left, and than proceed to move his mouse in an precise order in order to perform surf) to move forward (or if skilled enough even backward).
5. Wall bug - Only performed on angled walls, allows player to stop it self instantly when falling. The player has to be very close to the angled wall he is falling from, and by looking at an certain direction and pressing certain keys, the player can stop him self from falling instantly, and wont take fall damage no matter how hight he fell.
6. Jump bug - The player can jump from any height what so ever and take no fall damage on any surface (except trigger hurt of course). This is done by jumping and pressing DUCK in the air, than when the player is falling he must release duck at PRECISELY 4 units (or less) before hitting the ground, and than jump. The game will think he simply jumped and will ignore all fall damage. 4 units are 3 inches in length ( or 7.62 cm).

There are various bugs on moving surfaces such as trigger push or func conveyor, where a player would bing the DUCK command onto his scroll wheel (because scroll wheel can rapidly send commands when used), and while in any of the two environments the player can scroll, aka duck rapidly, and accelerate him self instantly to speeds above normal. Besides ducking the player can also use air control and bunny hopping.

Water for example neutralizes fall damage, unless the water height is 1 units.

Many mods exist upon these bugs and are fun to play.

As for classic HL single player, a lot of bugs that affect NPCs can happen. Some times in some scenes the game is so broken its not funny (HL from 1998, not updated). Some times the scientists bug out and die on their own on moving objects such as doors. And some times when they die their body stays and they constantly twitch and some times say words repeatedly.
I remember the crab monster from Xen not dyeing after i pretty much shoot everything into its ugly self. Than again at the same level you don't even have to fight it at the final stage, you can simply blow the hole up with explosive charges. It will die instantly shortly after that.
Grenades can be abused to gain speed and bunny hop in single player HL. Bunny hopping is much more easy in HL than in CS.

A nice bug is if you have an audio CD inside your CD tray, the game will play songs off of that CD when you are in the process of loading an another map. CS has this same thing.
Due to uneven geometry, aka tilted faces and sharp angles, the player can get stuck in the wall.
Also half life texture/face sub divide is set to 240 units, 256 can, and almost always crashes the map.

There is a whole lot technical stuff too. I cant remember much distinctive single player bugs, i played HL SP a long time ago last time. But i do know a lot of engine bugs 😀

I don't even want to mention James Bond night fire 🤣

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 8 of 34, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Best bug in a video game ever is in the game Swords and Serpents for Intellivision when you get to the final level with the dragon and can't kill it because the programmer ran out of time and couldn't include a proper ending to the game so it was released without one.

Reply 9 of 34, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

Quake - hold down fire while you exit a map with any nailgun or a thunderbolt. crazy things can happen.

Ahahahaha... This is similar to a bug in my boyfriends mod for Unreal where if you die while firing, you will continue to fire your held weapon until either you let go of the fire button or ran out of ammo.

Here's a real annoying one: In Age of Empires 2, a game will quickly desync badly if you play with alot of hard AI's with people from three different states than you (assuming you live in the US), and by badly desync, it literally times out everyone on everyone elses client and there's nothing to do but either load a saved multiplayer game or start fresh preferably WITHOUT AI...

In Battlezone 1, one of the NSDF missions on Titan (leading up to the final battles on Achilles) will cause a Unhandled Exception if your CPU is executing way too quickly.

Red Faction 1 will think you have negative memory if it "detects" more than 2 GB of memory, which was fixed in the unofficial patches like PureFaction. In addition to this, the cutscene audio is out of sync due to the processor executing too quickly, and to top it all off, the undercover missions involving extracting Gryphon out of admin will screw up on fast processors as well.

In the original Descent 1 & 2 for MS-DOS, the homing missile speed is entirely dependent on your framerate, as well as the music tempo for FM chips if you are using a OPL2\3 for music. Also, the music in Descent 1 plays very different parts depending on wither or not you are using FM synthesis or General MIDI. (GAME01.HMP is a good example of this, as is the title screen music)

QUICK EDIT: There are also some doors in Shogo that will instantly kill you should they be blocked by you, but if blocked by NPC's they are immune to the crushing effects. (usually) You will not know humiliation until a wooden door causes you to splatter all over the ground.

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 10 of 34, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The bug in Fallout3 that launches Deathclaws into the sky is funny. Happened to me the first time I encoutered one.. It was running straight at me, then halfway it suddenly jumped up and disappeared in the clouds. At first I just assumed it was supposed to do that, having never seen these things before 🤣

And I thought the bug I discovered in Epic Pinball was kinda cool, where you hit spacebar at just the right moment to relaunch the previous ball.

Also I like watching speedruns just to see how many glitches you can find in games that appear to be practically bug-free. Some good examples:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mC47O6mKHJY - Portal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk4kX9WEcZA - Half-life (my all-time favourite)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apvnzxxOkAo - Duke3D

Reply 11 of 34, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This one's kinda annoying, but you have to admit, if you don't like someone's high score on a track, it makes it easy to clear it. Once you start a drive, just immediately accelerate and turn. Within split seconds, you'll slow to a stop and the game will think you've crossed the finish line legitly. You won't even get a penalty time! 🤣

The best bug in that game was the one that locked your speed at 255mph. It was easiest to do in the indy car, I think you just had to get to 255mph by a series of jumps and the game wouldn't drop it down again, and you could basically zoom around everywhere without slowing down except it usually ended with you getting launched high in the air and crashing when you landed again.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 14 of 34, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I like that one glitch on old versions of Duke Nukem 3D where you can kick with both feet at once by using the quick kick function at the same time as the mighty foot. It's actually quite useful at the beginning of the Death Row level where you get all of your weapons taken away. 🤣

Reply 15 of 34, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Solar Winds
As you turn your ship you suddenly start flying sideways at what would normally be warp speed minus the fuel consumption and any way to direct where you are going.

Outcast
As the Gamsav crystal is explained another alien started clipping through the main character and got stuck there as the character says something like "Oh, that's different". It was indeed very different.

jwt27 wrote:

The bug in Fallout3 that launches Deathclaws into the sky is funny.

That game gradually became unplayable when the PS3 version was loaned to me. While wandering around I heard an explosion so far away that there shouldn't have been anything happening over there. Then I see something spinning around in the air as a robot falls out of the sky.

Another robot laying on the floor in a building would twitch occasionally as I entered. As I left the building the movements had increased so much that it was now flopping about and completed a circle around the room.

A scorpion had been rotated upward and was half buried in the ground like it was stuck in a hole and slowly turning.

A random event is suppose to drop a weapon and power cells from a midair explosion. Except I never saw the weapon. I also had the dog you find search and he ran off in some random direction. Then some thugs came by and I let one live. He ran over to where I thought the weapon should be, lowered his weapon, raised his weapon, lowered his weapon, shook a little, then his weapon changed. That's when I killed him and took the missing weapon off his body.

Reply 16 of 34, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
F2bnp wrote:

It is the famous MissingNo. bug from the original Pokemon games. Possibly one of the most amazing and awesome bugs ever.

Ye. The funny thing is that I found it on my own back in the day before reading anything about it 🤣

Those games had lots of interesting bugs for sure, like for example Glitch City and many others...

Reply 17 of 34, by Stull

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DonutKing wrote:

This one's kinda annoying, but you have to admit, if you don't like someone's high score on a track, it makes it easy to clear it. Once you start a drive, just immediately accelerate and turn. Within split seconds, you'll slow to a stop and the game will think you've crossed the finish line legitly. You won't even get a penalty time! 🤣

The best bug in that game was the one that locked your speed at 255mph. It was easiest to do in the indy car, I think you just had to get to 255mph by a series of jumps and the game wouldn't drop it down again, and you could basically zoom around everywhere without slowing down except it usually ended with you getting launched high in the air and crashing when you landed again.

I seem to remember something like this happening, driving full speed in a circle and you'd get sucked up in the air backwards, like a tornado had grabbed you. 🤣

Reply 19 of 34, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
VileRancour wrote:
ROTT - This Causes an Error: Pushwall attempting to escape off the edge of the map […]
Show full quote

ROTT - This Causes an Error: Pushwall attempting to escape off the edge of the map

I%27m_Free!.png

This is the best way for any game developer to NOT fix a bug that 99.999% of players are never going to discover on their own. ;D

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg