VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

have GTA 1 on steam and would like to play it on my dual monitor windows 7 machine. tried DxWnd and failed miserably, it jsut played full screen anyways but, there are a lot of settings that i do not know how to use in Dxwnd.

I figured i'd post here in hopes someone has already figured this out or knows how to get GTA 1 to run in windowed mode.

Reply 1 of 6, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I suppose getting the original MS-DOS version would work since it runs in DosBOX.

Have you tried D3DWindower by any chance? (despite it's name it can hook DirectDraw and GDI somewhat, it works wonders with games like Alpha Centauri when configured properly)

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 2 of 6, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

never even heard of it, googling it now. how would i go about configuring it or should it be automagic?

EDIT: i "added" gta 1 to to it but, when i ht play nothing happens.

Reply 3 of 6, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The program is in Japanese, it has to be started as admin to work properly, you may need to move it out of Steam (as in, get rid of it's "DRM" in the process) for it to properly hook it because it has to beable to start and hook the process, not steam.

It does not work all the time so maybe it wont work for this one but it does hook ddraw and GDI calls, you might have to make sure "windowed mode" is actually checked. The icon to launch a particular game looks like the win95 My Computer icon.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 4 of 6, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

well it's still helpful for other games but, for the hassle i'll try and play it on my other computers. should come in handy for other old games though. seems like i have a better chance of palyign it my vm, which i can't believe i didn't think of till now.

Reply 6 of 6, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

Did you try DXGL?

GTA uses Scitech MGL BTW, which is truly painful towards DirectX wrapper compatibility.

no, i'll give that a google and also you answered a question i couldn't find and answer too, as the wiki doesn't mention the the game and technologies used behind GTA 1, while other GTA wikis do.

EDIT: it sort of works, gta insta crashes when i launch it so something must be happening.