VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I guess my first question is, are they worth having at all? Excuse my ignorance but are there XBOX only games that you can't get a PC port for?

If they are a good unit, then I'll consider buying a new one in that period b/w the XBOX 1 release, and retailers no longer stocking them. They're already pretty cheap, so I'm imagining them falling below 100 bucks at some stage.

My other question would be, what peripherals are worth having?

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 1 of 17, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are a trillion 360s out there so yeah they should get cheap once they become undesirable for most people and are traded in en masse. There are many exclusive games I'd like to check out. I've never played a Halo newer than 2, for example.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_ga … ion%29#Xbox_360

Reply 2 of 17, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hey badmojo!

I really don't want to turn this into a PS3 vs XBox debate, but I do have both consoles and just want to point out the awesomeness of PS+ subscription.

Kmart and Target will sell the 12GB PS3 for $179 tomorrow. You then need an HDD bracket (cheap from JB) and any notebook SATA drive (I have a 750 hybrid SSD).

PS+ subscription is $70 for 12+3 months (a current promotion) and when you start you can download the entire instant came collection (10 games). Then every month 3 get replaced by new games. You can play these games as long as you have a subscription.

The value is unbelievable.

I got my PS3 in August I believe and so far have:

Assassin's Creed 3
Stealth Inc: A Clone in the Dark
ICO and Shadow of the Colossus
Mafia II
Catherine
Malicious
Spec Ops: The Line
Need for Speed Most wanted
Saints Row: The Third
PAYDAY The Heist
Jak and Daxter Trilogy
Unchartered 3
XCOM Enemy Unknown
LittleBigPlanet Karting
Battlefield 3

All these games don't cost anything.

Next month will get 3 new games including Far Cry 3!

The only games I purchased ontop of PS+ games are WipeOut HD because it was cheap and GTA5 😀

I haven't bought a single game on the Xbox 360. I have the 4GB version and they make it hard / impossible to upgrade the HDD yourself.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 3 of 17, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a 360... played like two games on it and now the damn thing collects dust for years. This generation of consoles is not for me 🙄

You should buy a PS3 if you need a current console. At least you can play online there without paying for Microsoft's scam program...

Reply 4 of 17, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah I don't want this for now - it seems like a pretty iconic machine, and I'd just like to have one in my collection. But your posts raise a good point - will the 360 (and PS3) still be viable in 10 years when the online services are no longer available?

Thanks for the heads up on the PS3 Mau1wurf, that's an amazing deal!

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 5 of 17, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sure, you'll be able to play the games you have on physical media. But at least on the 360 it will be impossible to preserve online play with a non-modded console as M$ implemented a latency detection that counteracts any attempts at using a tunneling service such as Xlink Kai. Not sure if it's the same for PS3 is but PS2 servers for many games are still up, contrarily to the Xbox, which has been shut down completely a long time ago.

Reply 6 of 17, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

With PS+ if you don't have a subscription you can't play the games. It's up to Sony to decide what they will be doing in 5 years, however PS+ also covers the VITA and PS4. So I will continue subscribing but at some point, yes I believe these games will not work anymore.

That's where the industry is slowly heading towards. Away from owning to subscribing / renting.

But not in the near future. MS tried this with the XBox One and got a bloody nose as a result of it.

So in your case just got to keep an eye out for second hand games. Garage sales, eBay, overclockers.com.au...

Consoles that are really cheap second hand is the PS2.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 7 of 17, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ Mau1wurf1977 , get the PS3 exclusives, God of War games, Uncharted games, Demon's Souls, Dark Souls (though this one is 360/pc too) , some Jak and Daxter... Sony's own productions like Little Big Planet... you won't regret it , I see you already got some 😊
Demon's Souls and the Uncharted 1+2 are obligatory 🤣

As for getting a 360 yeah! it's great! I have one since launch (several that is....) and some beefy pcs over the periods of time... there are games that are only available on consoles and it's a shame to miss them.
If you get a fat model NEVER EVER get amything that has an 16.5A or 14.2A on the 12v line (sticker in the back) , the only "good" fat 360 revision is the Jasper one and it has a 12.1A rating. Slims are all fine. You can hack all with a chip nowdays and they unclock completely like the 1st XBOX but there is no online then.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 8 of 17, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Something to consider. Sooner or later MS is going to discontinue factory service on units that are no longer under warranty so if you get a red ring, you will be on your own to get it fixed or will have to buy another one that may not be much better than the one that died. There are a lot of units from the original production run that MS patched up (some units got repaired more than once) to get working again after the original red ring fiasco. Are you really sure you want to take a chance on one?

If you're going to take a chance then go for a later production unit with an HDMI connector instead of an early one. They die shrunk some of the components on the board and changed the layout a bit so they tend not to run as hot as the earlier units and may be less prone to the dreaded red ring of death. A black unit would be even better.

One other thing, some early units have an issue with scratching DVDs. Gamefly discovered this after a larger than normal number of customers started returning games in unplayable condition due to severe scratches. If your XBOX 360 makes grinding or chucking (the only word I can think of to describe it) sounds when it is accessing the DVD then it is probably scratching it, too. Avoiding the early production units is just a good idea.

Here's an article about the scratching issue

http://www.geek.com/games/gamefly-reacts-to-x … atching-557981/

Reply 9 of 17, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ the only way to be sure is to get a 12.1A fat 360 or a slim.
Hdmi port alone means little, all 14.2A units have a hdmi port...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 10 of 17, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote:

^ the only way to be sure is to get a 12.1A fat 360 or a slim.
Hdmi port alone means little, all 14.2A units have a hdmi port...

Not all 360's have an HDMI port. It was added later. I'm on my second one and neither it nor my original one had HDMI. HDMI was added as a later redesign after MS found out people wanted it and as an excuse to redesign the board to avoid red rings. I actually worried when I sent my old one in for exchange that I would get back an HDMI model because then my aftermarket cooler wouldn't fit anymore.

Last edited by sliderider on 2013-09-18, 14:18. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 17, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

sliderider re-read my posts. the hdmi port means NOTHING alone. It was added in falcon and later revisions , but falcons (14.2A) are still prone to RROD damage. Anything 12.1A and later are the good revisions, basically jasper fats and all slims. Amperage on the 12v line is what you need to pay attention to when buying a 360 second hand. Effectively all non-hdmi machines are just waiting to waiting to die from soldering failure.
Hope it's clearer now.

Reply 12 of 17, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote:

sliderider re-read my posts. the hdmi port means NOTHING alone. It was added in falcon and later revisions , but falcons (14.2A) are still prone to RROD damage. Anything 12.1A and later are the good revisions, basically jasper fats and slims.
Hope this clears it for you.

I didn't say that the HDMI equipped models avoided red rings entirely, just that they were better designs that run cooler because MS did a die shrink on the parts and relocated some of them for better air flow. I would trust one of those a lot more than the original design.

Reply 13 of 17, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ ah yes, this is correct 😀
there have been several major releases:

1st gen fats, 16.5A , no hdmi at all - avoid
2nd gen fats, 14.2A , hdmi but still RROD risk
3rd gen fats, 12.1A , hdmi and safe
4th gen all slim models that have cpu+gpu in one chip and are more safe

Reply 14 of 17, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I love my 360. For this last console generation I played more games on it than either the Wii or PS3. Most of that is attributed to how great the 360 controller is. Now, you can get the 360 controller on PC, and many games support it just fine. I use it as well as my primary controller on PC.

It just depends if you are actually planning on playing it, or if you are getting it for collector value (which currently, there is none). I don't think you can really go wrong having one. I'd get one just to play Red Dead Redemption, which you cannot get on PC.

laxDRAGON.com | My Game Collection | My Computers | YouTube

Reply 15 of 17, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know a lot of people who absolutely love their 360s and do most of their gaming on them, but truthfully I'm not one of those people. I think a lot of it has to do with my longstanding grudge against the modern game industry and how they've increasingly come to monetize and mainstream-ify everything. I avoid Facebook games, almost anything "free to play", and most mobile games for much the same reason.

I will be honest, there was a time in my life where I loved my 360 much like my friends do, but it was also a much different, happier time. I hung out with my friends a lot more often and was more sociable and easy going. That all started to change when my father met my stepmother. 😜 I probably shouldn't bring that up here, but it's kind of hard not to when I get nostalgic about the better times in my life.

Reply 16 of 17, by Soupdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For some reason playing a game on a console just feels wrong. I like to play games hunched over a keyboard. I have owned two ps3 so far, the first died a couple of years ago. Both were used exclusively for region A blu-ray playback and US netflix (I live in the UK). I own no games for them I learnt along time ago I am not a console gamer. When my current ps3 dies I will buy a multi region bd player since the prices are a lot lower now. Red Dead Redemption is the only game I really wish was on the PC. I mostly enjoy mmo's and fps, two types of game that work better with a mouse and keyboard.

Last edited by Soupdragon on 2013-09-18, 17:52. Edited 1 time in total.

Steam | World of Warcraft

Reply 17 of 17, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I do have a PS3 btw. They're useful for at least checking out demos of games that are also on Steam that never get a demo 😀

that, and (unfortunately) console exclusive games such as Darkstalkers Resurrection (surprised?)

apsosig.png
long live PCem