VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 41 of 47, by nemesis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I really enjoy this topic. Particularly since it reminds me of back when I had been filled with misinformation regarding technical names, purposes, and such.
It's a good way to keep me humble, since I sometimes forget where I started and judge people for their own misinformation.
I probably still drive technicians crazy with my misunderstandings (although I'm working to improve my understanding).

For example: I used to think that the Kilobyte was actually called Kigabyte. Simply because a technically inclined friend had insisted that's what it's called (these were the days before google, and when I was a child). It took me a few years to break the habit.

I had to remind myself of that in more recent years when I spoke to a well-meaning Apple fan that was trying to sell me on the pros of having a Macintosh. He repeatedly called the storage and memory capacities as Gigglebytes. I might have been more convinced by his presentation, if his pronunciation hadn't distracted me by causing me to fight back a few giggles of my own.

I know those are simply misnomers, but I also run into the same issues with people referring to their computer monitor as the "computer" and the physical computer tower as the "switchbox" and various other misnames.

I just wanted to share my own perspective with a story, and remind everyone that we're all human. Please have patience with these people. They often don't know any better.

Reply 42 of 47, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Anyone still call a modern GeForce/Raedon card "VGA card"? Well I do. Old habits die hard.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 45 of 47, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's one that DRIVES ME NUTZ:

I've been playing serveral of Valve's GoldSource games (CS/CS:CZ/CS:CZ-DS/Dod) for quite some time now... people requesting troubleshooting help using "lag" as a generic term for most ANYTHING that they're having a problem with (e.g. "MY GAME IS LAGGING!!!!!!!1111!11!11", "MY MOUSE IS LAGGING!!!!!!!1111!11!11", "MY WINDOWS IS LAGGING!!!!!!!1111!11!11", etc...).

For GAWD'S SAKE, "LAG" refers to *NETWORK* lag (MORE SPECIFICALLY, your PING... i.e. LATENCY in a multiplayer game over the Internet)... and it does NOT refer to framerate, graphics, video, sound, poor performance, crashes, lockups, freezes, freezing, CTDs, errors, mice, keyboards, or anything ELSE that I may have accidently omitted!

Oh... and don't even get my started on "MY xxxxxxx" (refer to the "My" in two of the examples above).

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 46 of 47, by Sune Salminen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah there's that, and then there's "My PC hangs up..."

No it doesn't. People hang up on you, on the phone. Your PC hangs.

"hang up" the phone, that's a stone age expression too. Nobody has that kind of phone anymore where the receiver actually hangs on a hook.

Reply 47 of 47, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've often heard people refer to their computer tower as a "hard drive" or a "modem".

WIP: 486DX2/66, 16MB FastPage RAM, TsengLabs ET4000 VLB
Check out my Retro-Ghetto build (2016 Update) 😀
Commodore 128D, iBook G3 "Clamshell"
3DO M2, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, NES, SNES, N64, GBC