VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by eraH_retired

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

I've been playing around with Slim Framework to see if I can get a web API going for DOS games, and I've got the basics working.
These are a few of the API calls (probably heaps of bugs still)

• Get game information by game id or exe hash
  • Update existing game information
  • Search for games
  • Add games
  • Add hash's to games (a game can have multiple hash values, useful if a game has a v1 and v1.1 exe)

Because of the hash values, applications (I'm looking at you DFR & DGL) will be able to reliably pick up what games they are working with.

So, what do you think. Worth continuing?

Reply 2 of 7, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
eraH wrote:

Because of the hash values, applications (I'm looking at you DFR & DGL) will be able to reliably pick up what games they are working with.

Well, why wouldn't the user be able to know what game the user is working with?

The principle advantage to a database with hashes seems to me to facilitate distribution, and the flagrant distribution of copyrighted software is a rather touchy subject here.

Reply 3 of 7, by eraH_retired

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Thanks Ronald, you were one of the people I was hoping to year from 😊

It's got nothing to do with piracy, it's to help front ends identify games reliably and download game information. Say you own and have installed Duke Nukem 1, Episode 2. It's in a folder called DUKE2. Instead of the front end asking you, "Is this Duke 1Ep 2, or Duke 2", it will know from the hash which game it is and download the game information.

Reply 4 of 7, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think the database of game information would be fairly impressive on its own without the hashes.

Filenames alone ought to be more than enough to distinguish one game from another in the overwhelmingly vast majority of cases. There are cases in which hashes might be useful, but from what you've described so far, I can't see the purpose of them.

Reply 5 of 7, by eraH_retired

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Did you know DFR uses hash's to identify games and choose the appropriate config file, that's where I got the original idea from. This is just extending that idea and centralising it so other applications can use it.
Plus, if you are going to do a filename to gamename database, you might as well use hash's as they are more reliable.

Reply 6 of 7, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
eraH wrote:

Did you know DFR uses hash's to identify games and choose the appropriate config file, that's where I got the original idea from.

Ah. No, I have never used D-Fend Reloaeded before, if that's what you're referring to.

Plus, if you are going to do a filename to gamename database, you might as well use hash's as they are more reliable.

But the filenames used by a DOS game are unlikely to ever change. In fact, subtly-different versions of a DOS game are likely to have different hashes, as you point out. If the primary goal is to serve up game information for Duke Nukem 1, Episode 2, then the end-user is not likely to care if he is running version 1.0 or 1.01a. If your goal includes trying to catalog all of the subtly different variations each different DOS game may have, well, that's a different matter.

I'll shut up now.

Reply 7 of 7, by eraH_retired

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Yeah, don't think I will carry this on. The internet doesn't need another game database, maybe one of the existing ones (http://thegamesdb.net/, or http://www.archive.vg/) will add support for filenames/hashes.