VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a hollywood plus, basically a dvd decoder, which can output either to the vga screen where it overlays the main vga signal. or to s-video. What gets sent to s-video is only the dvd output though. All perfectly understandable.

However I saw a reference to the dxr2 [earlier card - I think the hollywood plus is the same as the later dxr3] being able to convert vga to s-video, but I've never seen that confirmed. Does anyone know? The dxr3 chipset seems inherently incapable of vga to s-video, it's just a decoder that can overlay images into the vga signal. I can't believe the dxr2 can do vga to s-video, but it would be cool if it could etc. 😀

Reply 1 of 7, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I picked up a DXR2 card from the local recycling center in my old town a few years back, and I was about to install it in my Pentium II box, but I found out that I was lacking the rest of the kit. 😜

Reply 2 of 7, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks, I wasn't aware there was anything else that came with it - I thought it had normal vga connectors x2 and s-video out. The ones I see for sale have no cables. The dxr3 has special cables [though I got a set with mine so no worries there].

Reply 3 of 7, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

AFAIK it not only requires an external vga cable with two female ends, it also requires a set of special internal cables and a proprietary DVD drive. 😜

Reply 4 of 7, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

AFAIK it not only requires an external vga cable with two female ends, it also requires a set of special internal cables and a proprietary DVD drive. 😜

I'm almost positive you can use just about any DVD drive with a dxr2

Reply 5 of 7, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Both cards have S-Video out, both can be used with a usual DVD drive.
The Dxr2 requires a VGA loop cable, if you want to have the video overlayed on the desktop.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 6 of 7, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

...and it doesn't send "desktop" image to s-video. It has no connection to the video card, the loop cable functions like a voodoo card only that it uses a colorkey to overlay the dvd video.

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 7 of 7, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gulikoza wrote:

...and it doesn't send "desktop" image to s-video. It has no connection to the video card, the loop cable functions like a voodoo card only that it uses a colorkey to overlay the dvd video.

ah, that's what I expected, thanks - never mind then!