VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

After another long stint in Lands of Lore, I couldn't help but notice how refined the game itself is: No crackling in speech, Amazing midi scores, excellent voice actors and with solid game-play

Warcraft II ...another really polished game. Reasonable midi scores with speech ..refined looking SVGA.
Not really a diverse amount of speech though..

What are your favorite games out there that were made for the Sound Canvas or MT-32 (+sound amazing) and have digital speech throughout the story?

Last edited by rgart on 2013-09-26, 14:53. Edited 2 times in total.

=My Cyrix 5x86 systems : 120MHz vs 133MHz=. =My 486DX2-66MHz=

Reply 1 of 7, by dank0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Gabriel Knight (first one) one of the best midi music.
System Shock - I love the intro

AMD K6-II 500, Nvidia TNT2 AGP, 256 MB RAM

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
•• WANTED: ROLAND SCP-55 ••
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Reply 4 of 7, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Strike Commander CD - this is one of my favourite games, its a bit arcade like but it strikes a good balance and the storyline is very good.
Wing Commander 3 - goes without saying

Reply 5 of 7, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Darksun Shattered Lands has an unbeatable MT-32 midi sound track. It sounds amazing. But no Speech.

Fate of Atlantis: Great MT-32 Midi with Full Speech throughout the game.

+2 DOTT

Any others that sound amazing through a midi device and have full speech?

Reply 6 of 7, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As much as I love early Sierra adventure games, the voice recording and playback is not something that I like that much - crackling noise, break-ups during playing of voices, and sometimes, you can make out the studio "echo", especially in King's Quest V. Even in Gabriel Knight 1, the quality is poor. But that doesn't stop me from playing them again and again and again.

(Of course, one might argue that these games were the early of the earliest batch and voice technology may be rudimentary at best, but still....)

Fate of Atlantis has great music - both OPL3 and MT-32 pieces. The voice seems to play ok, but the volume of speech seems to be recorded at a lower level.

DOTT and Sam n' Max are ok.

Eco Quest has great music and the CD version got good voice overs too. But the CD version is quite rare.

By the time Sound Canvas and GM music came into the mainstream games, the inclusion of full speech was already too obvious, almost leaning towards an obligation to include it.

Many adventure game "enhanced" editions that were remastered and came on CDs included speech that also had MIDI music. In fact, only the classic adventure games can hold claim of having full speech with midi music in them. In other genre, the speech will be more interspersed - either during a cut-scene or a movie or during grunts or affirmation to orders or actions taken by the player.

The advent of CD helped to boost the inclusion of speech in games. But it also slowly killed the MIDI - due to the inclusion of higher quality CD audio tracks.

MIDI, nevertheless, lives on in the hearts of the MIDI aficionados and enthusiasts.

From some of my collection (Other than the games already mentioned) :

9951931766_0f829e1663_b.jpg

9951907065_c89b4e959c_b.jpg

1.Quest for Glory IV CD version
2. BioForge
3.System Shock 1 CD Version (Just sold mine a few months back)
4. Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist CD version
5. The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes : Case of the Serrated Scalpel - CD Version
6. Fable - adventure game
7. King's Quest V - CD version
8. King's Quest VI - CD version
9. Shannara (and 2 other Legend games - Death Gate CD Version and one more - all using the same engine)
10. Legend of Kyrandia 1, 2 CD versions
11. Dune (Adventure-Strategy Hybrid) - CD version
12. Mission Critical - 3 CD game which also supports GM standard

and others.

The Dig and Full Throttle have excellent speech quality for a DOS game, but they don't have support for MIDI.

If you want to count some others like :

Wing Commander II + Speech Accessory Pack - Full speech during flights, and during important cut scenes. The same goes to Ultima VIII CD version & Ultima VII with Speech Pack. Also Wing Commander Privateer with Speech Pack.

And some more games that I can't remember now...

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 7 of 7, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

awesome collection Malik!

I was not impressed with the midi music in Quest for Glory 4 and Bioforge

the voice acting in Bioforge was second to none though! excellent.

I have never played Echo Quest beyond the first couple of screens but the Music sounded Great!
I thought the sierra titles with speech like Kings Quest 5 sounded pretty good, yeah the speech is a little "clicky" but it didn't change the fact the midi scores were quality. Definitely by the time the CD-ROM version of 6 came about Sierra had polished such titles (no crackling speech)

here are some titles and moments that blew me away music/sound wise:

Quest for Glory 1 - Intro + Erana's Peace & First leaving the city (MT32)
Conquest of Camelot - Start Screen (MT-32)
Lands of Lore:Throne of Chaos - Intro and Music throughout (SC55+SB)
Darksun:Shattered Lands - Intro and Music throughout (MT32)
Bioforge - Voice acting & Speech throughout
Day of the Tentacle - Voice Acting, Speech Throughout and Midi Music (MT32+SB)
Dune: What a sick joke making people pick between midi and voice? Amazing Voices or Amazing Music - One or the other?
Monkey Island: Some of the most amazing MT-32 music ever but giving us Roland MT-32 and taking away all those Adlib sound effects...(thank god for that patch)