VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello guys,

Haven't posted here for quite some time! I need help with Vortex cards:)
I've got this babies:
1)Vortex 2 SQ2500 from Aureal - (old stock!)
2)Vortex 2 from Turtle beach (TBS400-3356-01)
3)Diamond Monster Sound MX80 - Vortex 1 (or isn't it?) with wavetable.

Now which card do I pick for a cool P2-450 Glide system? I have to give away one of them and I guess it should be TB. What do you think?

P1020627.JPG
81790.jpg

P.S. The picture of diamond is actually from the website of the seller, I have the same one at my parent's place.

Reply 1 of 9, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the turtle beach card is quite common [so yes give that away]. the sq2500 was i believe the highest spec vortex2 so ought to be the best to use. the m80 has that daughterboard and might be more period correct for a p2.

you could use the sq2500 and put the db on it.

edit - removed incorrect text

Last edited by ratfink on 2013-09-28, 16:20. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 9, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Actually the Monster Sound M80 uses a pair of chips running Aureal A3D 1.0 algorithms. There's a Diamond mystery chip and an Analog Devices DSP. This is how A3D was implemented before Aureal got Vortex 1 and 2 out. Diamond's Vortex 1 card is the Sonic Impact S90.

Vortex 1 and 2 look the same aside from model number. They are even pin compatible so the cards look the same/similar.

Reply 4 of 9, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

aureal.jpg

After investigating the theme I bought myself a new old stock Aureal SQ2500 from pc-1.ru. Nice one with metal jack connectors, DB header and a TOSLINK optical digital output.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 5 of 9, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you, guys!

bristlehog, that's where I got my diamond and aureal cards 😀 Both are old stock and look new 😀

А можно ссылку на форум, откуда картинка?

Reply 6 of 9, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd pick the Aureal, too. The SQ2500 is basically the same as the much rarer SQ3500 only without the daughterboard attached. Aureal planned to offer the daughterboard as an upgrade for the SQ2500 but that plan got shelved when they ran out of money after the lawsuit from Creative. If you ever find a daughterboard loose, you'll have the card to attach it to and have the rare SQ3500!

Reply 7 of 9, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

sliderider,
Wow! That's cool! By the way, do you know what the two male connectors in the upper right corner do?

And is daughterboard shipper with M80 any good? Mine is supposed to be 2Mb (or have I got it all wrong? I wish I could see the thing now)...

Reply 8 of 9, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sent you PM with forum link.

Here's the VOGONS theme where aleksej said that he counts Dream 4Mb DB one of the best. But 2Mb and 1Mb versions seem to be more sucky. And some of them were also glitchy. Alas, pc-1.ru is currently out of Diamond Monster Gold cards with 4 Mb addons. Maybe for good...

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city