VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was digging through my stuff the other day and I noticed that I have a few older mice (nothing real classic though 🤣) that use balls instead of purely optical sensors. Would it be possible to take one of these and mod it into a makeshift trackball? I've been curious about getting a trackball, but I can't really afford to buy one at this moment.

Reply 3 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For starters, trackballs aren't necessarily expensive.
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-910-000806-Tra … =dp_ob_title_ce

Secondly, the old-fashioned mechanical mice were notoriously difficult to keep clean (if you hadn't noticed), and a mechanical trackball, being constantly pawed by human fingers, is even worse.

Thirdly, this question of "is it possible" is entirely unclear. Yes, if you experienced in designing plastic housings and have the facilities required to manufacture them, then sure, anything is "possible".

Reply 4 of 6, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:
For starters, trackballs aren't necessarily expensive. http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-910-000806-Tra … =dp_ob_title_ce […]
Show full quote

For starters, trackballs aren't necessarily expensive.
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-910-000806-Tra … =dp_ob_title_ce

Secondly, the old-fashioned mechanical mice were notoriously difficult to keep clean (if you hadn't noticed), and a mechanical trackball, being constantly pawed by human fingers, is even worse.

Thirdly, this question of "is it possible" is entirely unclear. Yes, if you experienced in designing plastic housings and have the facilities required to manufacture them, then sure, anything is "possible".

I was essentially thinking of isolating the pcb and roller assembly from the rest of the casing, then placing a large ball bearing on the rollers. As for the buttons and scroll wheel, I think I might desolder then from the pcb and attach them to some wires. I'm not really planning on putting it into anything resembling a decent case.

Reply 5 of 6, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have an Atari trackball that someone modded for use as a mouse.

cid_Pic20.jpg

The red square button is not stock. I think that's a switch for changing from mouse to trackball and back. The two tiny buttons above the ball are the mouse buttons.

Reply 6 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

I was essentially thinking of isolating the pcb and roller assembly from the rest of the casing, then placing a large ball bearing on the rollers. As for the buttons and scroll wheel, I think I might desolder then from the pcb and attach them to some wires. I'm not really planning on putting it into anything resembling a decent case.

I'm not entirely clear on what makes you think this would not be in some way possible. I do reasonably expect that the result won't be anywhere as functional as a professional job. Just sayin'.