VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On my XP machine I have this weird problem where some text won't display correctly. Opera is most affected, I estimate about 10% of the sites I visit are unreadable. It happens in Chrome sometimes, but not nearly as often. Sometimes hitting F5, or setting the character encoding to UTF8 or auto detect will fix it, though in most cases this doesn't do anything. Selecting the text and copying it to notepad will make it readable. Another example is the MIDI selection dialog in Winamp, where some devices are displayed in Chinese characters.

I think I have one or more broken fonts installed. Is there a way to figure out which fonts I need to remove?
Or, perhaps even better, some way to delete all third party fonts, leaving only the stock XP fonts, without having to plough through the whole Fonts dir and deleting them one by one?

Attachments

• Filename
    font_fuckup2.PNG
    File size
    80.67 KiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File comment
    can you read this?
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 5, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That fixed the problem in Opera and Chrome, thank you! 😀

In Winamp there are still two MIDI devices showing up in Chinese however, so this is probably caused by some other font. I think it's displaying them as UTF16 instead of UTF8 or ASCII. It's not much of a problem since I know which is which, but still.. it's not normal. Any ideas on what could cause this?

[edit: attached screenshot]

Attachments

• midi_borked.PNG
    Filename
    midi_borked.PNG
    File size
    15.49 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    unicode ftw!
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 5, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

And those 2 devices look fine outside of Winamp, right? Tried reinstalling them?

(Off-topic: a few tracks in your "Soundcloud thingy" don't have a game/author/other source mentioned - are they originals by you? Because some of those are pretty awesome.)

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 4 of 5, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VileRancour wrote:

And those 2 devices look fine outside of Winamp, right? Tried reinstalling them?

Yes, this happens only in Winamp. These devices are MT32emu and the new OPL3 emulator. Wouldn't be surprised if it was just a Winamp bug, one version of Winamp had a bug where all Milkdrop shader scripts were read as UTF16, also resulting in Chinese and other weird characters.

VileRancour wrote:

(Off-topic: a few tracks in your "Soundcloud thingy" don't have a game/author/other source mentioned - are they originals by you? Because some of those are pretty awesome.)

Thanks! 😀 If you mean Bonus Horses and Levelup Party: the first is a remix of an old synthpop tune, the latter is my own work. I have some more (mostly unfinished) OPL3 tracks, I can upload them if you want to hear em.

Reply 5 of 5, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow another person with this bug? My boyfriend has this problem but I don't, I never updated Winamp in a *long* time though... I usually only update things when someone tells me that there was a important fix in a newer version.

I've never seen this happen on webbrowers, just in Winamp.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων