VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know I've been asking a lot of questions here lately, 🤣 but this is something I've been needing to know. I know that my case (a Cooler Master Storm Scout 😁) has a filter on the bottom, so this sort of implies that I should mount my power supply with the fan facing towards the bottom, but with the last power supply I did that with, I believe that the lack of airflow caused by this may have ended up killing it. So what I'm wondering is, is it a good idea to point it upwards instead? I know that in older cases, the power supply fan would normally be pointed towards the CPU in order to help cool it, so I can't see any harm in pointing the fan upwards toward my other components.

Reply 1 of 7, by Jan3Sobieski

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you have enough clearance underneath the case (I have a Rosewill Blackhawk case and the legs give it a 1" clearance) then go ahead and mount it with the fan pointing down. That's really the point as it's supposed to suck cooler air from under the case and throw it out the back. If the clearance is small and your case rests on a carpet or something, flip it with the fan pointing up. Both ways are fine, but common sense will tell you which way will cool the PSU better.

Edit: just looked at the case you bought. I see only tiny legs on the bottom, looks like there is almost no clearance. If your computer is going to rest on a carpet/rug, I would suggest you point the fan up.

Edit2: If you want to mount it with the fan towards the bottom, you can always purchase taller feet. Here for example

Reply 2 of 7, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think I'll just mount it facing upwards then, once I extend the 12v auxiliary cable. I never place my computer on carpet, but the total lack of clearance it has even on a flat surface can't be good. Also, the air temperature shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Reply 3 of 7, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Absolutely mount it facing downwards. It sucks cool air from under the case. The air should be cooler than the one inside the case.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 7, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Even if u mount it facing upwards,the air in the lower part of the case it's cooler,then the air in the upper part,where usualy the power supply is mounted.

Reply 6 of 7, by Jan3Sobieski

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

Isn't there only one possible orientation to mount the power supply, owing to the position of the screws?

No. Most (I'd say 99%)of cases have holes that allow you to mount it either way.

Reply 7 of 7, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mine allows it to go both ways. I mounted it upwards because there's virtually no breathing room on the bottom, and the dust filter I've noticed does a great job of collecting pet hair. 😜