VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 40 of 85, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think the northwood P4 stuff could be of interest. But carlostex makes a good point, nobody wants a Prescot CPU 😀

Now the Athlon 64 was the king back in those day, but I don't think there is much available, so I doubt they will ever get cheap. Nforce boards isn't something you find in OEM machines, it was very specific to gamers and overclockers.

The other issue is that Windows XP was around for such a long time and if you want to build a XP gaming machine you might as well go with a Core 2 Duo or Athlon/ Phenom II.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 41 of 85, by j7n

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have not heard of computers being destroyed in volumes. This terrible news has escaped me. I've stumbled upon some instructional videos on the web, but thought those were isolated nutcases. I've been pissed watching office PCs, which I wasn't allowed to take, being mistreated, and pirated discs and tapes being destroyed. That was back them when I was young.

Well, I can't think what good a Prescot would do. It's the last platform that win98 works on, but it doesn't work well on it. But the CPU is small enough to sit in my storage. I even have two original HSFs of them, but those could be re-used, and the CPU itself doesn't occupy any space.

Reply 42 of 85, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
j7n wrote:

I've been pissed watching office PCs, which I wasn't allowed to take, being mistreated

That reminds me: some companies would get mighty antsy about sensitive documents on old computers getting out into the public. Of course we all know that removing the hard drive would completely solve the problem, but then upper management doesn't always care what the IT department has to say.

Reply 44 of 85, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The funny thing is, at the organizations my dad has worked at, usually their old PCs get auctioned off, after having their hard drives wiped. I once got a whole crapload of decent quality Dell CRT monitors and other stuff this way. 😁

Reply 45 of 85, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have to qualify my previous post about Pentium 4 machines still being available by saying that LATE Pentium 4 stuff is still reasonably easy to come by in trash piles or in junk shops. The Willamette machines are starting to become really difficult, and Northwoods are slowing to a trickle. I haven't found a Willamette in almost as long as my last Pentium III system.

Reply 46 of 85, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Nforce boards isn't something you find in OEM machines, it was very specific to gamers and overclockers.

Totally wrong. Of course OEMs used NForce chipsets with A64. Had such a machine with an Asus board for many years and it was rock solid, except for the lack of OC of course.

Reply 47 of 85, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That was an exception likely. Firstly the bulk of OEM machines had a P4, regardless of AMD being faster in games. Secondly nforce boards were premium products and in OEM machines they go for the cheap option. I stand by my statement and in comparison to finding P4 stuff second hand, AMD stuff is very rare. Especially all the good boards like Abit, Asus, Gigabyte because only a few gamers had such boards.

My YouTube channel

Reply 48 of 85, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

I think the northwood P4 stuff could be of interest. But carlostex makes a good point, nobody wants a Prescot CPU 😀

Northwoods were a lesser "evil", my brother had one. But tell you the truth i never liked any of the Pentium 4's. Even on Benchmarks heavily optimized for Pentium 4 the Athlon 64 still could stand a point.

I totally agree with you as far as availability. Pentium 4 such be much more easy to find, and actually more cheap. But part of it is because it was never a very good platform. It's funny to see locally how many Pentium 4 stuff is for sale, very cheap and still no one wants it.

OEM's went mainly for Intel stuff because of years of Intel bribes not to buy AMD, starting from the first Athlon days. This is not about fanboyism. It's just how it was. It was settled in court a couple of years ago. I actually think that what Intel paid was bargain.

Reply 50 of 85, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried installing a Soundblaster PCI 128 in an Nforce 3-based Athlon 64 box a while back to see if it would work in MSDOS. It didn't. 🤣 Win9x support on that system was rather poor anyhow.

But yeah, talk about a useless piece of crap; it runs XP and Windows 2000 slowly, it has issues with DOS and Win98, and I can't get the sound for it to work under Linux. I don't even want to know how it would handle Windows 7.

Reply 51 of 85, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Something I noticed when looking at all the mainboards on eBay. There are a TON of Socket 775 / Core 2 Duo boards available. But something else, these boards are very pretty!

I mean the colours, the layout, the heatpipes, it's really fascinating to see how these boards have evolved.

My YouTube channel

Reply 52 of 85, by Forevermore

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

^^^ Especially those Gigabyte 775 boards. The contrast of the Blue PCB & the copper pipes was nice. More appealing than ASUS and their golden brown.

I thought Soltek had the right idea with making boards look pretty. Pity everything on them was substandard.

So many combinations to make, so few cases to put them in.

Reply 53 of 85, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Forevermore wrote:

^^^ Especially those Gigabyte 775 boards. The contrast of the Blue PCB & the copper pipes was nice. More appealing than ASUS and their golden brown.

Socket 775 is a bit funny. In one end you can run Pentium 4 on them, which people would start consider retro, in the other end you can run Core 2 Quad 45mm CPUs which hold up even today. My main system is a "super" 775 with Core 2 Quad X9650 overclocked to 4ghz, 8GB of RAM and 2x Radeon HD 7950 in crossfire. That system runs Crysis 3 on very high! I bought my Asus motherboard in 2008 (Asus P5Q Pro) and I never expected it to last this long.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 54 of 85, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

platforms from 5 years ago have very, very long legs.

I Bought a cheap system in 2009 with a AM2 X2/5000+(2.6ghz) and only just replaced the cpu with a Phenom X4 965 Black Edition/3.4ghz for what $60? My theory was that I was better off staying with the old platform/DDR2 instead of buying say a new system around a Core i3 as I would have to buy a new board/RAM on top, this way I could spend the difference on a graphics card...... I havent even played bioshock or Crysis....... At least this way I can run everything on max settings and NOT have a comprimised gaming experience for DIRT CHEAP.

P.S: One benefit of being out of the looop with modern games and hardware is you only have to spend a fraction to runs these games well if your prepared to wait a few years or in my case, just in no rush.

Reply 55 of 85, by Forevermore

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vetz wrote:
Forevermore wrote:

Socket 775 is a bit funny. In one end you can run Pentium 4 on them, which people would start consider retro, in the other end you can run Core 2 Quad 45mm CPUs which hold up even today. My main system is a "super" 775 with Core 2 Quad X9650 overclocked to 4ghz, 8GB of RAM and 2x Radeon HD 7950 in crossfire. That system runs Crysis 3 on very high! I bought my Asus motherboard in 2008 (Asus P5Q Pro) and I never expected it to last this long.

I suppose one day it all will be retro. But I tend to consider 478 P4 to be the "start" of retro. 775 P4's are like 754/939 AMDs IMO. Not quite there yet.

It is amazing how systems so old can still hold their own. The K8 has shown its age moreso than the Core2 in terms of power, but still quite useable. My central rig is still a Phenom 925 with 2 5750s Crossfired & it kicks butt.

So many combinations to make, so few cases to put them in.

Reply 56 of 85, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Something I noticed when looking at all the mainboards on eBay. There are a TON of Socket 775 / Core 2 Duo boards available. But something else, these boards are very pretty!

I mean the colours, the layout, the heatpipes, it's really fascinating to see how these boards have evolved.

I used to think SOYO's Dragon line of motherboards were some of the most colorful boards in their day. The boards would be one color, the PCI slots would be another, the AGP slot a third color, the RAM slots would be another color and the hard/floppy connectors would be yet another color.

Just a few examples

board.jpg

soyo-p4.jpg

Aren't they beautiful?

Edit: Damn, Tom's Hardware Guide doesn't allow hotlinking of images. swearing-smiley.gif

Last edited by sliderider on 2013-10-13, 17:42. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 57 of 85, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Beautiful 😀

Allows you to build the whole computer based on a colour look. Like a red AMD box or blue Intel...

My YouTube channel

Reply 58 of 85, by PhaytalError

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It seems that 2011 was the whole 'gold scrap" hey-day. It's actually been slowing down alot over the past years. People have caught on just how much of a scam it was, gold plate is useless; most of the "gold" on vintage hardware [and newer hardware] is not gold but mere gold plate. Many of the old "gold scrap" people have realized they can get more selling the components intact and in working order than they ever could by "scrapping" it. 😀

Unfortunately there are still "gold scrap" sellers around who never got the memo or just flat out don't care and continue to destroy and resell to gullible idiots who still think that "there's gold in them thar hills!" or to people who are new to scrapping. 😒

DOS Gaming System: MS-DOS, AMD K6-III+ 400/ATZ@600Mhz, ASUS P5A v1.04 Motherboard, 32 MB RAM, 17" CRT monitor, Diamond Stealth 64 3000 4mb PCI, SB16 [CT1770], Roland MT-32 & Roland SC-55, 40GB Hard Drive, 3.5" Floppy Drive.

Reply 59 of 85, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Today I had to watch a neighbour smash his Pentium 4 "Office Space style" and then driving it to the recykeling station.
I asked if I could have it but he insisted on smashing it since it was useless. (but in working condition I think)

It was a late socket-478 Asus board with a radeon 9800 pro and a really nice case.
Im not sure I will be able to sleep tonight.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.