Common searches

N64 modding

Topic actions

First post, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been wanting to mod my n64 for years, mainly so that I can overclock it, get it to output a clearer picture, and maybe even pimp out the case a bit. The thing is, I don't exactly know where to start. There are guides out there like this http://micro-64.com/features/oc64.shtml but I'm a bit of a n00b with electronics modifications besides things like building PCs and splicing wires, so I think something like that may be a bit overambitious for me. I mean, how am I supposed to precisely desolder those two CPU pins without breaking them or bonding them to the other pins? 😜

Also, I've been curious about doing some sort of an RGB or VGA mod to mine, but I've heard that this is not possible on North American consoles. Can someone clear this up for me?

I'd love to hear some other ideas as well, so feel free to discuss any mods you've done or are planning on doing, etc.

Reply 1 of 8, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I did the CPU overclock many years ago. I remember it messed up game timng. Games ran too fast. It is tricky to mod because you work with two leads on the CPU. When removing the mod I broke a lead off. Oops. 😀

Reply 3 of 8, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The RGB mod can be done to certain NTSC consoles with the VDC-NUS encoder chip. I remember using this guide when I was looking for a compatible one at flea markets and such.

There's also this replacement video DAC to get RGB from any revision console.

http://133FSB.wordpress.com

Reply 4 of 8, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jwt27 wrote:

That CPU mod doesn't look too hard (if you're willing to invest $300 in soldering gear...)

I'm planning on apprenticing to become an electrician sometime soon, so that's an investment I may very well be willing to make. 😉

133MHz wrote:

The RGB mod can be done to certain NTSC consoles with the VDC-NUS encoder chip. I remember using this guide when I was looking for a compatible one at flea markets and such.

There's also this replacement video DAC to get RGB from any revision console.

Now THAT is one tricky-looking mod. 🤣 I wonder, once I install the replacement video encoder, how would I hook it up to something like a computer monitor or an HDTV? I don't think CRT TVs with RGB inputs are common at all on my side of the pond.

Reply 5 of 8, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
jwt27 wrote:

That CPU mod doesn't look too hard (if you're willing to invest $300 in soldering gear...)

I'm planning on apprenticing to become an electrician sometime soon, so that's an investment I may very well be willing to make. 😉

In that case, I can recommend the Weller WS-81 (or any of the professional (blue) Weller series). I heard Hakko and JBC produce quality stations as well, though I have no experience with them myself.

Keep in mind that electrician's work is quite different from soldering electronics. In electronics, a fine, short pencil and accurate temperature control are crucial. Even more so for SMD. For an electrician these things are not so important. You may need to purchase different tips or even different pencils for both jobs. I even doubt many electricians use soldering these days as electrical wiring is often connected through screw terminals or wire nuts.

Reply 6 of 8, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's a lot of oilfield work where I live, so I might become an instrument mechanic instead depending on what's available. Apparently, oilfield instrument mechanics work a lot more with smaller electronics.

Reply 7 of 8, by thegardentool

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had an N64 that was suitable for RGB modding that I sold a few weeks ago. I had the realization that there weren't enough N64 games I would want to play again to justify keeping it. For US consoles it's suppose to be only that the serial number starts with NS-1 but I'm not sure about Canadian systems. It didn't look like it was too involved though, an RGB amplifier and soldering 8 wires total.

I did do an RGB mod to an SNES Jr. and it looks much better than a first revision SNES did on my Sony PVM so it was well worth it.

Main: 7800X3D | X670e | 3090 | 4k144hz
Retro: Kind of together: P3 | ASUS P3B-F | Canopus Spectra 2500 | Canopus Pure3D II SLI | (sometimes a Voodoo 5 AGP) | SoundBlaster AWE32|