VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hardware evolved so fast between 1995 and 2002 and it makes me think about the changes some games did to have an interface while keeping in line with the quirks of many vendors, input schemes, and even different console platforms. Some things I know:

- 1996 had a lot of overly busy menu backgrounds. Of all the games in 1996 I think Fatal Racing/Whiplash holds up well. Big Red Racing however....... kind of stuck in a radical collage of a time capsule 😀
- In 2000 it was very simplistic to keep reduced disc loading times low on consoles. 2001 had some more animated menus, especially in the PS2's second year.
- Aero font started seeing REAL abuse in 2000 - although it's been seen here and there earlier (Shogo:MAD notably). Mostly known as "Halo menu font"
- 1993-97's demo sequence playback in the background is a given for the id Tech 1/2 and Build games. UnrealEngine games had a "flyby" map instead.
- I might be nuts and realize these menu tropes may be as old as the SNES.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 1 of 5, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Widescreen monitors killed off those busy backgrounds, since now developers had to worry about what their interfaces would look like at different aspect ratios, since computers originally adopted 16:10 instead of 16:9, yet some used 16:9 anyways. Since all computer monitors were 4:3 originally, interfaces (and specifically the backgrounds utilized) could be designed to take advantage of this.

My favourite font is Zurich and it's the one I use whenever I'm not custom-making a font for something. :D

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 2 of 5, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can't think of any tropes right now, but certain fonts have been abused to the point where it's not even funny. I'm thinking of the "Diablo font", and I'm sure some game designers went as low as using fucking Papyrus.

Perhaps as a general rule it could be said that HUDs went from taking a good part of the screen with colorful images and lots of information to simpler ones, to a point where many games show barely anything at all. Also, related to interface, using the arrows for movement (which I do) went out of fashion a long time ago, I think the last big game with that being standard was Half-Life.

Last edited by d1stortion on 2013-10-11, 12:14. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 5, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A big fad in the early/mid '90s was game titles spelled out in 3d rendered type, just to show off (bonus points for ugly noisy dithering that made it all grey and dull even in 256 colors).

The late '90s were all about rusty industrial textures on everything (Unreal logo, GTA1 title screen and menu backgrounds, all of Quake II including the box art)

Gemini000 wrote:

My favourite font is Zurich and it's the one I use whenever I'm not custom-making a font for something. :D

Heh, good choice (it's a variant of Univers which I always prefer - Arial for amateurs, Helvetica for hipsters). :)

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 4 of 5, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some time ago I suddenly noticed that quite a few VGA DOS games used bright orange colours against a relatively dark background for the menu font - Rise of the Triad, Descent, Radix: Beyond the Void, Raptor: Call of the Shadows, Tyrian (well, it's more of golden than orange), Alien Rampage (red-orange) to name but a few. Apparently this was more or less an independent choice, maybe because orange is bright enough but not too bright as pure red.

DOS Games Archive | Free open source games | RGB Classic Games

Reply 5 of 5, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MrFlibble wrote:

Apparently this was more or less an independent choice, maybe because orange is bright enough but not too bright as pure red.

...or they were just over-compensating for those long years of orange-less CGA/EGA/Tandy.
VGA Programmer's Handbook, tl;dr version: "1. Throw in as many fade-ins/fade-outs as you can. 2. You have orange. Use it."

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]