VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hiya!

Today I was looking for a good Windows98 midi player - something simple with maybe a playlist and some eye candy to replace the stock WMP. I downloaded a bunch of disappointing software and eventually stumbled upon vanBasco's Karaoke Player.
Don't let the "karaoke" in the name fool you , you can just turn off the lyrics window and have this awesome player on your desktop:

Image1dd_zps2fa60d28.png

Here is it's homepage: http://www.vanbasco.com/karaokeplayer/

It has everything IMHO: a drag'n'drop playlist editor, midi output window to monitor/enable/disable channels, sends a reset after every song... the only that's missing is automatic SysEx upload if the filenames match 🤣

Thought I should let you guys know about it, I haven't managed to find anything better that works on win9x. Ofcourse if you have an alternative please post about it.
😊

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 1 of 11, by Stefan_L

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thats the program i use.. it is very good. (i have WinXP).

You should disable "start from first note" or else any longer sysex will mess up the music at the beginning.

Reply 3 of 11, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

(Deleted. No longer relevant anyway)

Last edited by JayCeeBee64 on 2019-10-24, 15:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 7 of 11, by Stefan_L

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dirkmirk wrote:

What sort of music are you guys playing with it out of curiosity?

Music made for XG modules... while there was only one game supporting the XG standard so was the XG-scene many times bigger than the GS-scene... although now when i think about it so was there practically no GS-scene at all 🤣

Reply 8 of 11, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
d1stortion wrote:

I use TMIDI Player.

How do you make that GS logo show up and the SysEx button light?

tmidi.gif

I don't get them on my system... it seems a very nice player, but it lacks a playlist function... unless I don't see it

also what is this player here?

timidi6.gif
http://www.pp-express.info/midichange/modicyange.htm

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 10 of 11, by j7n

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

VanBasco's player is very intelligent as MIDI players come. I got it to decode and display XG patches that were set by sysex instead of program changes. It also handles sysex on device change well. But I got disable running status and skipping of "redundant data" for it to work properly.

Reply 11 of 11, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yes, it seems that VanBasco's is very versatile, especially it's playlist function is implemented very very well

as a sidenote regarding the Tom's TMIDI player and the GS/SysEx buttons, they depend on the midi loaded , just in case anyone else was wondering as well... 😀