VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just moved into my new appartment and while unpacking everything I see that a box with cards are missing....

Stuff disapearing while moving is nothing new, but it is a bit sad when it's hardware that is hard to come by 🙁

Currently missing...
- Voodoo 5 AGP and PCI
- Intergraph Intense3D V1000-E
- Diamond Edge 2200 with SEGA Saturn ports adapter
- 2x Voodoo2 12MB in SLI

Hopefully it shows up again..

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 1 of 12, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My dad once threw out an old dresser I had full of various discs when I moved in with him. Most of the discs were useless fortunately, though I do recall there being a copy of Win95 OSR2 and an original set of installation floppies for Syndicate. 🙁 I also lost a whole bunch of Apple II floppies and a stereo sound card for my IIGS.

Reply 2 of 12, by Jan3Sobieski

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Man, that sucks big time.

I hate moving. Every time I did though, it involved some amount of alcohol to keep me sane and on task. The drawback is that you might not necessarily remember where you put what 😉

Reply 3 of 12, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I somehow misplaced two backup CDs during my move and can't find them. They're most likely sitting in one of the many boxes I haven't opened due to those boxes not containing anything important for me to do my webshow or make games or such, but it's still odd that out of hundreds of CDs, those are the only two missing. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 4 of 12, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What really sucks is if you live in a country where vintage parts are hard to come by in the first place. For someone in the US or Canada the parts may be easy to replace, elsewhere it may not be so easy. Just a few parts missing may represent years of searching gone.

Reply 5 of 12, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just moved all my personal belongings to China. Despite getting screwed on the cost of shipping, everything arrived and nothing was damaged (I packed, loaded, unloaded and unpacked myself). Even my CRTs made it.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 6 of 12, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm going to be moving in the next month or so here and I'm worried about all that myself.

I intend to separate out all of the hardware and games and such and seal them up in very well marked boxes with a running box count on each to make sure I have the same number of marked boxes when I get to the new place as when I left the old.

I've lost or misplaced so much stuff moving over the years that I'm real tired of having to replace everything.

Halcyon: PC Chips M525, P100, 64MB, Millenium 1, Voodoo1, AWE64, DVD, Win95B

Reply 7 of 12, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My cousin took my original Sound Blaster 32 PnP Installation Disks from the SB32PnP box from my home, while I was abroad studying, and he lost them! (17 or 18 years ago)

He did replace with a drivers collection CD (which contains drivers for many sound cards, cd-rom drives, graphics cards, etc.), but I still miss those original floppy disks... 😢

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 8 of 12, by Forevermore

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Items like that go with me personally in a move. Can't stand the thought of losing the items that took me ages to get in the first place.

So many combinations to make, so few cases to put them in.

Reply 9 of 12, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Of course, the more parts you have sitting around, the less likely it is that you are ever going to use most of those parts again.

"But even if I can't use them, I can still sell them so someone else can!" is one possible response. To which I might reply, how likely it is that you were ever going to get around to selling them, given the hassles involved and low demand/profit margins?

Reply 10 of 12, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jorpho wrote:

Of course, the more parts you have sitting around, the less likely it is that you are ever going to use most of those parts again.

"But even if I can't use them, I can still sell them so someone else can!" is one possible response. To which I might reply, how likely it is that you were ever going to get around to selling them, given the hassles involved and low demand/profit margins?

Which is why I have what I like to call a "functional" collection, in that I only collect stuff I intend to use. If I don't intend to use something anymore, even just briefly, I get rid of it in some manner, either throwing it away if it's broken or near/broken, giving it away if I know someone who could make use of it, or selling it if it's worth more than just a few dollars. This is also why I typically don't collect bad games, save for very few which are nostalgic to me and I like playing every once in a blue moon just because of that factor alone. :)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 11 of 12, by Hatta

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't even have to move to lose things. And I do use almost everything I own, eventually. Things get lost in the churn. Though if I moved, I'd probably sell a lot of stuff beforehand, just to not have to deal as much.