VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 34, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks again for the breakdown of the SW games.

Okay, which game, in your opinion, has a good introduction to the very beginning of the Star Wars saga? Is there such a game? Perhaps I can start my exploration from there.

And yes, it's generally the games that get me interested exploring further via other media. I'm not a movie buff, and can only sit through a whole movie if I'm interested, or only if I'm EXTREMELY bored and got nothing else to do! 🤣

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 21 of 34, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Malik wrote:

Thanks again for the breakdown of the SW games.

Okay, which game, in your opinion, has a good introduction to the very beginning of the Star Wars saga? Is there such a game? Perhaps I can start my exploration from there.

Hmmm... Perhaps KOTOR, since it is set in the Old Republic era. I'm not really interested in that era though, I'd prefer the Imperial era.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 22 of 34, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Wasn't there a close to the movie Episode 1 game that wasn't lego? I dimly remember playing one but I'm not 100% sure it wasn't lego 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 25 of 34, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Joey, I'm not worried. Same as with the sequels, compared to what we've got served by Lucas the last few years, it can't really get worse 😉

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 27 of 34, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dominus wrote:

Joey, I'm not worried. Same as with the sequels, compared to what we've got served by Lucas the last few years, it can't really get worse 😉

Hey, Revenge of the Sith is a great movie!

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 28 of 34, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Reply 29 of 34, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Malik wrote:

There's actually no beginning and no end in the SW universe, it literally runs for thousands of years...and as it's been said, no games deal directly with the movies storyline although some run in parallel. I'm not a big SW freak, but I had watched the movies more than a few times and played most of the games, so please excuse any obvious mistakes.

Roughly, the SW timeline can be split to:
- the old republic (-inf, thousands of years before the movies) - I believe KOTOR games deal with this era and Star Wars: The Old Republic (wiki entry has, quote: "300 years after the events of the Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic games, and more than 3,500 years before the events in the Star Wars films.")
- the fall of the republic (SW movies 1-3, the "new" trilogy since they were done last, CloneWars cartoons and some newer SW games)
- the imperial era (SW movies 4-6, the "old" trilogy and older SW games: X-Wing, Tie Fighter, Dark Forces1, Rebel Assault, ... )
- the new republic (possibly SW movies 7-??, without the movies most of this has been covered by novels and some games like the Jedi Knight series...)

I guess it wouldn't be trivial for an occasional gamer to pinpoint the era exactly even more so because most of the newer stuff is happening before the older games/movies 🤣

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 30 of 34, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:
Oh I am aware of that. :D People bitched endlessly about the lack of Jedi aspects in Dark Forces and so a sequel had some expe […]
Show full quote
Stiletto wrote:

Actually, in both of these, you're the same guy. Somewhere in between, you gain Force Powers. Retcon. 😉

Oh I am aware of that. 😁 People bitched endlessly about the lack of Jedi aspects in Dark Forces and so a sequel had some expectations. This outburst happened again when JK2 had you with no Jedi capabilities initially. Lots of people hated running and gunning in Star Wars for some reason...

However there is a cutscene in DF where Vader says Katarn is strong in the force. Hint hint.

Hatta wrote:

Even if you're not into Star Wars, you should play Jedi Knight. That game has some of the most amazing level design I've seen in any FPS.

Yes. 😀

Which makes no sense whatsoever since force wielders in the Star Wars universe, unless they are very gifted, typically start out with only a limited understanding of what they can do and have to be trained to use high level abilities. A game that doesn't start you off from the beginning with access to all the powers of a Jedi/Sith and makes you earn them as you progress is much more realistic. A reliance on more mainstream weapons and abilities until you build up your control over the Force is more natural.

Reply 31 of 34, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So, as a logical progression, I should start with KOTOR?

I don't mind going back and forth from new graphics/games to old ones, as long as the continuity of a particular era is maintained. 😀

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 32 of 34, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Malik wrote:

I don't mind going back and forth from new graphics/games to old ones, as long as the continuity of a particular era is maintained. 😀

Indeed. Although if you're not familiar with the PT, you may lose the "Star Wars feel". To me, the best Star Wars impression still comes from the OT; Stormtroopers, Star Destroyers, and AT-AT Walkers. 😁

Reply 33 of 34, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Malik wrote:

KOTOR and KOTOR II don't follow the main story line, but are incredibly immersive and all the Jedi/Sith abilities are there, though wielded by characters that will be unfamiliar if the only Star Wars you have been exposed to are the films. Look at them as being similar to what War In The North was to the Tolkein universe. Same universe, different characters, similar abilities, so if you know anything at all about the characters and plots from the main story line then everything will still be familiar and easy to adapt to.

Reply 34 of 34, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As I said, another good "original movie trilogy" game that mirrors the plot to give you that "movie experience" is Star Wars Trilogy Arcade (Sega 1998).

Here's a random longplay of it, there's more on YouTube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4Zth4GTw28

However:
- there was never a console port of it so you must use an emulator.
- the arcade emulator SuperModel still has some graphics bugs but will play it full speed if possible.
- MAME has very rudimentary support for these games but they're basically not working in MAME.
- you need a beast of a computer to emulate it at full speed.
- the usual caveat: to emulate it legally, you must already own the game's printed circuitboards (PCBs) from which to source the ROM dumps.
- you are not required to complete the levels in movie order and thus you can "start" with Empire Strikes Back, then move back to a scene from A New Hope, etc.
- as far as gameplay goes, it's all basically "on rails" and it all basically results in aiming with the joystick and pressing one button at the right times. 😉

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto