Common searches

Descent 1 and 2 polygon count

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 33, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I still remember when mom upgraded from a 486/DX2 66 MHz system to a Pentium 120 (when the best Pentiums were only 133 or 166... maybe 200) and the moment I saw that our CPU could handle the SVGA movies in Descent II... yeah, that was epic. :3

That is something non-fans tend to forget about the Descent series is there's actually a story to them that's a little more in-depth than the ones you get from Doom and Quake. Descent I played back the story as the PTMC guy (Dravis) talking and the Material Defender thinking about what he's being told, Descent II actually got quite a bit more cinematic with pre-rendered cutscenes, and Descent III got even more cinematic, going so far as to supporting surround sound in its pre-rendered movies. The intro and end movies to Descent III were really good for the time and are memorable even now. :)

...except I never understood why the Material Defender wears bright, neon-green boots while in the Pyro... :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 21 of 33, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, the cinematic feel of the 3rd Descent was amazing. Descent 2 certainly had a more cinematic approach, but the D3 took it to the next level. The intro movie, where you see your trusty ship discarded and destroyed right before the epic music theme kicks in, is still very impressive and it gave me the chills when I saw it for the first time. Great game!

Reply 22 of 33, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
F2bnp wrote:

And like mau1 said, the AWE cards sound great in this game, electronic music where their strength I guess (System Shock 1 also sounds fantastic 😀 ).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDqknsaX9L4&hd=1

This game sounds pretty good with the AWE, but even here I'd rather go with Roland since I have one. More distinct haunting choirs and more bass 😉 here are two comparison points for others to decide:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lTX4REnZ60
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ6_AUN1lt0

(I reckon if someone played this back then on the AWE the choice will be clear though 😀)

Reply 23 of 33, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

it is true... once you hear a roland device then it's hard to go another way... the AWE sounds OK in this example but it lacks depth and detail.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 25 of 33, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've actually never put any time beyond testing into any Descent game. Stupid CPU speed and control issues. Don't feel like going for fanmade ports either. The Playstation version looks like a great way to play the game though, I think I'll just get that and be done with it.

Reply 27 of 33, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
F2bnp wrote:

I hate how the Roland sounds in this game. I much prefer the AWE. Just my 0.02$ 😜

sc-7 ?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 28 of 33, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have used my SC-7 with it if that is what you ask. Don't remember if it was really different from the SC-55 (doubt it), but even from the videos I prefer the AWE's rendition. I love the choir in the SC-55, but I prefer the rest on AWE.
A close second to the AWE for me would be the DB60XG, now that kicks some ass in Descent!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guOz1XV_5Is

Reply 29 of 33, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A SC-7 is different in many ways from a SC-55. But some things sound the same , some not so much and some have minor differences in games.
I am asking because I have currently connected a SCB-7 as well.
I did love yamaha synths but now it seems to me they muffle too much the sounds, they certainly have a difference over a SC-55 for example.
It's all personal preference after all, in retrovisions forum there was a person that liked monkey island with the mt-32 emulation from an AWE and not the real mt-32.
Anyways, enough OT from me. 🤣

Reply 30 of 33, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

A SC-7 is different in many ways from a SC-55. But some things sound the same , some not so much and some have minor differences in games.

Could you do recordings of the most jarring differences in video games? That would be quite interesting to me!

keropi wrote:

It's all personal preference after all, in retrovisions forum there was a person that liked monkey island with the mt-32 emulation from an AWE and not the real mt-32.

lel
Perhaps I am insane in my own way since everyone hates the AWE midi synth and I absolutely love it. 🤣

Reply 31 of 33, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

about recordings... maybe at some point I'll make some... but for now I doubt it 🤣

Reply 33 of 33, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

Seen d_scan.c? Most of Quake's processing goes right in D_DrawSpans16 (as well as R_DrawSurfaceBlock8_mip# in r_surf.c).

I was just guessing. I've never looked at the source code for Quake so I have no idea how any of that would work. :B

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg