VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A bit of a weird topic admittedly, but recently I used a bunch of notebooks which all have one thing in common: Toshiba harddrives. They all have the same issue, which shows itself as periodical, annoying clicking noises, as if the drive was just about to fail. They work fine though and show no S.M.A.R.T. errors. Sometimes there is nothing for about 10 minutes or so, other times it's just one big staccato-fest of clicks, so there is no set pattern to it. It doesn't seem to correlate with actual usage either. And yes, I've isolated the HDD as what causes it, it's not related to fans or anything like that.

...anyone else with similar experiences?

Reply 2 of 5, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Forevermore wrote:

Quantums do that. Except they don't work either :lol:

First hand experience right here. x_x

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 3 of 5, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

They all have the same issue, which shows itself as periodical, annoying clicking noises, as if the drive was just about to fail.

I've noticed that too. And I've also noticed that ~90% of the failed laptop drives I have to replace are Toshibas. I can't imagine that the two things are entirely unrelated... they seem to be shitty drives in general.

Reply 4 of 5, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have a 2011 500gb 2.5 drive next to me dead as a door nail

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 5 of 5, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The problem with the Toshiba drives is that they often have problems with the head pre-amp thus they often get the clicks but I have noticed that the failure rates have gone up a lot after drives passed the 250/320gb mark. Was pretty steamed when a new 1TB seagate 2.5 came in with two bad sectors >.< The best thing to do is try to keep them cool and below 50c as much as possible.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.