VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfgoDDh4kE0

This video isn't mine, it was made by The Cynical Brit, but it highlights the kinds of things video producers who share gameplay footage are potentially facing on YouTube every time they upload a video, and while it mostly highlights the extremes of what can happen, there's still plenty of more minor incidents that can occur, such as Content-ID matches or videos that don't clear for monetization for completely arbitrary reasons.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 1 of 15, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That is indeed a very serious issue. This is certainly not the first time corporate censorship and/or lobbying is imposed by twisting the legislation in the "gaming the system" way. It's rather ugly, to be fair.

DOS Games Archive | Free open source games | RGB Classic Games

Reply 2 of 15, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh his sultry voice makes me tingle in all the right places!

but seriously.

laws are made by humans and enforced by humans, nothing is EVER perfect 100% of the time. That said, if I had money invested in that company, I'd be getting it back right about now.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 3 of 15, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

After the general public on the Internet was outraged by this event, Wild Games Studio was pressured to restore the original review:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjTa_x3rbJE

DOS Games Archive | Free open source games | RGB Classic Games

Reply 4 of 15, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It was better for them to restore the video than to see their sales tank due to public outrage. A big software house like EA or Activision might be able to handle some negative press, but a small, indie developer can't so caving to public pressure is often the best option. Consumers are getting sick of the bullying tactics used by corporations against the little guy and are fighting back.

Reply 5 of 15, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

that review... I haven't laughed that hard in quite a while. I feel sorry for the people that paid money for it.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 6 of 15, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Despite the fact that this Youtube reviewer has a serious issue with a lack of humility, this type of censorship does seem to disproportionately fall on the little guy. If IGN does a bad review of this game, Garry's Incident, and the developer sent a DMCA takedown request, IGN has the resources to tell the developer to take a Fair Use hike. Since they host their own content and provide their own bandwidth, one else can take down their review for them.

The little guy is using someone else's hosting and bandwidth and does not have the same bargaining power. Nonetheless he is not powerless, as we have seen. What do you see when you Google "Day One : Garry's Incident"? Story after story of the censorship act. The video was restored within a day of his rant. This illustration of the Streisand Effect demonstrates why attempted censorship in the Internet era is often counterproductive, the message becomes magnified by the action taken. In a counterintuitive way, the act of censoring the review can act almost as a tacit acknowledgement of the game's flaws.

I wonder if there was any increase in sales as a result of the removal of the negative publicity, and whether there has been any decrease (or increase) since the news broke about the censorship.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 7 of 15, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Proper game reviews are fine, but I always wonder why complete playthroughs on day one (often before the game is released in other areas) with zero comments don't get into trouble.

E.g. that new game Beyond Two Soles on the PS3. It's a very linear game, basically an interactive movie, think dragons lair just modern version of it. I simply watched the whole movie on YouTube...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 8 of 15, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

E.g. that new game Beyond Two Soles on the PS3. It's a very linear game, basically an interactive movie, think dragons lair just modern version of it. I simply watched the whole movie on YouTube...

That actually brings up an interesting point. My first experience with Portal 2 was basically watching an entire playthrough of it through one of my favourite Let's Play people...

...and even though it took another year following, I eventually had the desire to play it for myself and picked it up through a Steam sale.

The point? If a game is good then it doesn't matter how much you spoil it by watching someone else play it; you'll eventually want to play it yourself. :B

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 9 of 15, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The worst i've had was a "Deception/Scam" takedown on the Bernie video, thinking it might've been the frames of that shareware registration nag that did it. Appeals didn't work.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 10 of 15, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This stupid shit is why I went through and un-monetised the few of my videos that were enabled for it.

Not worth the drama.

I appreciate it's not that easy though, if you depend on that income.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 11 of 15, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't monetised any of my videos. I don't see the point. I'm not a professional who wants to live off it. Just share my passion.

The views I'm getting are also so tiny, it wouldn't be worth it.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 13 of 15, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Monetization isn't really the issue unfortunately. A copyright strike can be issued even on non-monetized videos, as can Content-ID matches. About the only potential pitfall you avoid by not monetizing is having to prove commercial use rights for video content when the system is undecided about automatically monetizing a video or not, and while you can suffer video takedowns as a result, you typically won't lose your account over it, just your ability to monetize. To quote the message YouTube sends you for asking you to prove commercial use rights:

Please note that YouTube reserves the right to make the final decision whether to monetize a video, and we may disable monetization for partners who repeatedly submit ineligible videos.

...yeah, I'm learning how this all works pretty fast now that I have to actually concern myself with it.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 14 of 15, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, the audio tracks on my XWing wavetable capture videos on YT was also muted due to copyright claim. They claim that the Star Wars Theme appears, which is of course copyrighted. However the game soundtrack is not identical to the orchestral movie score of course.
Anyway this may happen with nearly every video.
f.e. some copyrighted music was detected on my Second Reality demo capture at the beginning in the setup screen. While you can intervene in the copyright claim (and I did in this case), the result of this is still an open issue.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 15 of 15, by PhaytalError

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

YouTube is about as protective of their content creators as eBay is of their sellers... i.e. you have NO protection from the bullshitters.

As for corporations, I say fuck 'em...

The corporations have their heads up their asses so far that they seem to forget that WE have the power, and that WE control them.

These corporations seem to forget that without us they wouldn't exist in the first place. The giants can be slaughtered and even be put out of business by us, if we so desire, our voices can be and should be heard on a global boycott scale. Unfortunately, it's bad that so many people have been brainwashed into thinking that there is nothing they can do.

DOS Gaming System: MS-DOS, AMD K6-III+ 400/ATZ@600Mhz, ASUS P5A v1.04 Motherboard, 32 MB RAM, 17" CRT monitor, Diamond Stealth 64 3000 4mb PCI, SB16 [CT1770], Roland MT-32 & Roland SC-55, 40GB Hard Drive, 3.5" Floppy Drive.