VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by j7n

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am trying to install the YAMAHA S-YXG100 with the PVL plugin. The problem is that the plugin does not install, and parts for the VL are quiet or played with the wrong patch. (I am comparing with DS-XG drivers which have mono VL capability.)

Screenshot after installation.

If I look at the InstallShield CABs, they contain VL files that do not appear on my system, such as sxgpvknl.vxd or the demo MIDI files. Only basic XG midi files were installed. So it seems that the installer had decided to skip the VL part (because I'm not in Japan?).

Extracting the CABs with i5comp failed because the CABs are multi-volume.

How to get this synthesizer installed completely?

Reply 1 of 7, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You must remove EVERY trace of this application and install again. There is a guide here on Vogons that i followed and i installed correctly right away:

Yamaha S-YXG100plus SoftSynth for Win9x 4MB waveset working!!

I am not sure did i manage to get 4MB set to work, but the base app works perfectly.
I have messed around with this and Turtle Beach Pinnacle and it sounds damn amazing 😀
Wish i had other daughter boards to mess around.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 2 of 7, by j7n

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nice to meet another Yamaha fan. XG does sound pretty amazing. The soft synths, however, have disappointing quality (13-bit dynamic range, clipping and noise).

I fully uninstalled the program, and reinstalled it with the 4 MB waveset. This set has some distictly brighter, fuller samples. I noticed a few in the rock drum kit. I could post comparisons in the other thread if it is permitted.

My problem with the Poly-VL appears to boil down to a slow PC. The official minimum system requirement is Pentium 3 at 450 MHz. And they really mean it. I only had a P II Celeron. I didn't expect this because single voice VL works stable on my system.

I looked at the 1.11.49 installer, and it had several setup types, selected depending on some evaluation of the CPU. It will silently pick the one that will work on the PC, falling back to basic AWM. I discovered that some US trials floating around also do include the Japanese singing "SG" plugin, but likewise never install it.

I did manage to install the plugin by editing DATA1.HDR to rename the setup types. This will also get all the VL songs out. On my PII PC the plugin did not load. In a virtual machine, the plugin loaded but locked up the system as soon as a VL note sounded.

Unfortunately, I don't have a "fast" Win98 PC at the moment.

Reply 4 of 7, by j7n

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Unlike the 2k/XP version, this Win98 softsynth actually exposes the master volume through the Windows sndvol32 mixer. The level can be turned down to remove hard clipping. But the poor bit depth remains, so the loudness can't be decreased too much.

Many Yamaha's own demo songs clip too.

Reply 5 of 7, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
d1stortion wrote:

I found that DB60XG can have clipping issues as well. Maybe it's not an issue specific to the software versions.

The opamp on the DAC output is configured as lowpass filter and amplifier with high gain. At low frequencies the output can go up to about 6Vrms which makes your sound card's line-in clip. With some soldering you can bypass it to get normal 1Vrms output with no clipping. The low pass function is pointless since the DAC already has an integrated antialiasing filter.

edit: I have to correct this. Someone apparently thought it was a good idea to turn +/- 12V into +/-5V instead and power the opamps with it. That means it WILL clip hard.

Reply 6 of 7, by moturimi1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
j7n wrote:

I looked at the 1.11.49 installer, and it had several setup types, selected depending on some evaluation of the CPU. It will silently pick the one that will work on the PC, falling back to basic AWM. I discovered that some US trials floating around also do include the Japanese singing "SG" plugin, but likewise never install it.

I did manage to install the plugin by editing DATA1.HDR to rename the setup types. This will also get all the VL songs out. On my PII PC the plugin did not load. In a virtual machine, the plugin loaded but locked up the system as soon as a VL note sounded.

Unfortunately, I don't have a "fast" Win98 PC at the moment.

Unfortunately the file is not downloadable. Could you reupload it (or tell me what to change?) I have the same problem. I can only access the avm part, no VLG.
Thank you in advance.

Reply 7 of 7, by j7n

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Responding to a PM by moturimi1.

In my version data1.hdr is 76,685 bytes. The version has to be the same. If I recall correctly, since it's been a while, I changed it so that it would install PVL when it's not supposed to, and not when it should. In my case there was a very good reason for this part to be skipped: slow computer.

To verify that your installation was successful, look for VLMonitor.EXE, some "pvl_songs" in the output directory (like, BlkHole.mid), and Sxgpvknl.vxd in the system folder.