VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 53, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You won't find many console fanboys on a retro PC gaming forum. You will, however, find a few multi-platform players such as myself. That said, I still play many games on the PC. I tend to buy the game for the best system it runs on.

I'm definitely getting the PS4. To me, it looks to be the best choice of the two new systems. MS seems to be making some poor choices in the next generation. I have a pre-order of the Xbox One as well, but, more than likely I will cancel it, unless my opinion changes before release.

Wii U is NOT next generation, BTW.

laxDRAGON.com | My Game Collection | My Computers | YouTube

Reply 21 of 53, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
laxdragon wrote:

You won't find many console fanboys on a retro PC gaming forum. You will, however, find a few multi-platform players such as myself. That said, I still play many games on the PC. I tend to buy the game for the best system it runs on.

I'm definitely getting the PS4. To me, it looks to be the best choice of the two new systems. MS seems to be making some poor choices in the next generation. I have a pre-order of the Xbox One as well, but, more than likely I will cancel it, unless my opinion changes before release.

QFT 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 22 of 53, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
laxdragon wrote:

If you want to get technical, Wii U isn't even last generation seeing as it's an evolution of Wii hardware which itself is an evolution of Gamecube hardware but I'm looking for something with good exclusives to tide me over until all the bugs have been worked out of the other two systems and in addition to Nintendo's own normally high quality games, there's going to be some third party games coming out leading into the holidays that seem like they are worth a look. The MarioU/LuigiU bundle being released on Nov.1 looks like it's going to be Nintendo's best WiiU bundle to date, even better than the Zelda Windwaker HD bundle.

I got really lucky with my XBox 360 by waiting about a year before jumping in and it didn't finally red ring until 2011 and it was still considered first generation 360 hardware. It was the original 20GB Pro system (incidentally, 7 years on and I still haven't come close to filling the HD. What the hell am I ever going to do with the 500gb in the PS4?). I know I'll probably max out the 32gb in the WiiU, though, downloading all the classic Nintendo hits from systems past but when I run out of room I can plug in a standard external HD and keep downloading so it at least has that advantage.

Last edited by sliderider on 2013-10-30, 00:27. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 23 of 53, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I got both consoles, XBox 360 and PS3. Bought them at the end of their lifecycle, the slim versions and flash memory versions for little money.

I play mostly on the PS3 because of the PS+ subscription and the free games. The value is tremendous. Haven't really played on the XBox360.

PC gaming took a bit of a backseat. Mostly I simply do not have the time and there is nothing interesting at the moment. The last games I played on the PS3 are GTA5, which is such an amazing game, Unchartered 1 and 3 which remind me a lot of Tomb Raider.

I greatly appreciate that games simply just work. No mucking around, driver issues, having to update something. Performance is so so and graphics are average but once you're in the game it matters little.

Kinda waiting for Ghost, because I loved BLOPS2 and played all the way to prestige master. Hopefully it will be a similar experience.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 24 of 53, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I never really got into gaming on the PS3 either, I got about 20% of the way through GTA4 but got the sh!ts as I couldn't get used to the controller when you'd get in tight situations with multiple enemies close by, its one of those games im definately going to revisit on the PC.

Reply 25 of 53, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I actually quite like the controller for 3rd person games. But FPS games? I think I really need to practice 😀

My YouTube channel

Reply 27 of 53, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If the PS3 ever comes down in price, I'm thinking of getting one so that I can play all of the exclusives I missed out on, and of course the HD PS2 remakes. 😁

Reply 28 of 53, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of PS3 exclusives that I'd want to spring for. Infamous 1 & 2, Ni No Kuni, the newer God of War and Final Fantasy games, and I guess The Last of Us and Heavy Rain.

I only just got around to getting a PS2; that seems much more worthwhile.

Reply 29 of 53, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:
SavantStrike wrote:

Xbox One.

I also don't see the Xbox One getting a lot of use.

These threads often make my head hurt.

It's not that much of a contradiction.

It's going to get some use, just not as much as a PC would get, but I already have a PC, so, all good.

leileilol wrote:
SavantStrike wrote:

Killer Instinct becons.

And people thought CAPCOM were bad with their Street Fighter x Tekken DLCs...

Yeah... 20 bucks for 8 characters seems steep. Moreso because you know you need to get the 40 dollar version with the extra items and costumes.

The bigger issue is where are Kim Wu and Maya. Tusk would be nice too although I never liked playing as him. And TJ combo, we need him.

This whole thing seems rushed. Seriously, they don't even have all 8 characters ready for launch, it's 6+2.What the crap snacks have they been doing all of this time. This is Killer freaking Instinct we're talking about here. Heaven help the devs if they've turned it into Street Fighter.

Reply 30 of 53, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SavantStrike wrote:

It's not that much of a contradiction.

It's going to get some use, just not as much as a PC would get, but I already have a PC, so, all good.

So why rush? Why not wait a couple of months for the inevitable hardware recall and price drop? Why do you need something right now if you're already planning not to use it much!?

Reply 32 of 53, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have the ps2 since it was new and is indeed a GREAT console, miles ahead of the competition in terms of software. Many great and exclusive games.
The PS3 has also many exclusive and hidden gems, now that it will get cheaper it's a good chance to grab one as well 😉

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 33 of 53, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote:

I have the ps2 since it was new and is indeed a GREAT console, miles ahead of the competition in terms of software. Many great and exclusive games.
The PS3 has also many exclusive and hidden gems, now that it will get cheaper it's a good chance to grab one as well 😉

The one to get is the first generation 60gb with full backwards compatibility. Those are only going to become more collectible and prices will remain high.

Reply 34 of 53, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I watched direct captures from PS4 and XBox One (BF4) and I must say:

I'M A BELIEVER 😀

The 60fps makes the biggest difference. It's just like on the PC with a powerful graphics card, VSync and constant 60Hz.

The resolution debate was also something I wanted to investigate. My conclusion is that:

A game being 720p and 900p on one system isn't noticeable.

A game being 720p and 1080p however is clearly noticeable.

Now I just got to LEARN how to play FPS games with the controller 😵

My YouTube channel

Reply 35 of 53, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Now I just got to LEARN how to play FPS games with the controller 😵

What's there to learn? FPS games with a game controller is a lot easier than a keyboard. Every command and function that you need is right at your fingertips. No need to hunt for the keyboard key that you need and risk hitting the wrong one and end up fragging yourself or a teammate instead of the enemy. I never did understand all this 'mouse and keyboard is better than a game controller' talk. I've been using a game controller for years without an issue and because it puts everything at your fingertips, it becomes a natural extension of your hands after a while.

Reply 39 of 53, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:

There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of PS3 exclusives that I'd want to spring for. Infamous 1 & 2, Ni No Kuni, the newer God of War and Final Fantasy games, and I guess The Last of Us and Heavy Rain.

True. If you have an XBox 360 then there's not too much point in buying a PS3, or vice versa, as most games are cross platform now. There are some good exclusives on either machine, of course, but it's not like previous generations where if you didn't have all of the main consoles then you were missing out on lots of great games.

And there are enough differences to make people prefer either one of the 360/PS3 consoles; personally I much prefer the 360's controller, plus the 360's ability to run every game from hard drive, plus I preferred it's exclusives to the PS3's (though not massively so), so I was ahppy with the 360, but some time back I picked up a PS3 for LittleBigPlanet 1 and 2, Infamous 1 and 2, Resistance 1, 2 and 3, etc, plus it's the only Blu-Ray player I've ever had. A great machine, but most of the games I like on it are also on the XBox 360, unlike when I had the original XBox and bought a PS2, as then the PS2 brought a lot of great non-XBox games to me.

I only just got around to getting a PS2; that seems much more worthwhile.

PS2s are *fantastic*! But you should really consider using a hard drive (provided your PS2 is a fat model, I don't think the slim ones can do this), thereby not only speeding up loading immensely and also stopping all loading errors, but also saving wear and tear on your PS2's DVD drive, as once you've installed your game(s) to the hard drive then you never need to use the game disc(s) again, so you can put them away somewhere safe.

This is what I do, and it's *fantastic*. I don't even use a disc in my PS2's DVD drive any more; when I turn on my PS2 it boots up almost instantly, from the memory card in slot 2, then comes up with a menu on screen allowing me to load any game from hard drive, and whilst I'm playing any game, I can press a certain combination of joypad buttons to reset the PS2 (at any time) and go back to the menu to load a new game. It really is fantastic.

The only limitations are:

- you can't play PS1 games like this, PS1 games must be played from the original discs (actually, I think you can play some PS1 games, using a PS2 based program called 'POPS', but I've not looked into it),

- not all games work from hard drive, but every game I've tried does, and the compatibility is being increased all the time as work progresses on the loading software,

- you can't save game-saves to the hard drive, you still need to save to the memory cards, but this is the same even if you run the game from the disc, so either way you're stuck with it.

You can also load games from a USB stick, these are very common and cheap nowadays, but since the PS2 only supports USB standard 1.1, then it's very slow, around the speed of loading from a real PS2 disc. For a real speed increase, you need to use a hard drive which only fat PS2's support. Slim PS2's can only load via the USB port, both USB stick and (so I've heard) USB hard drives, but the speed will only be a fraction of a fat PS2 with an IDE hard drive.

To play games from a hard drive, you need:

+ a fat PS2 (does not need to be modded),

+ a network adapter,

+ an IDE hard drive, most will do, I currently have a 250GB in mine, though only 220GB is seen by the PS2. I think the software can be made to see larger than 220GB on larger drives, but I've not yet looked into it, as 220GB is more than enough for my current games collection. IDE drives are very cheap, though getting harder to find, as SATA drives are becoming more common, and you can't use a SATA drive in the PS2,

+ the software (see below),

+ a USB stick (for transfering the software to the PS2, afterwards you don't need the USB stick, so you can just borrow one if you like),

+ a memory card (game save card) if you wish to boot from a memory card - it uses up just less than half the space on the memory card, and you can use the rest of the memory card (and any card in the other card slot) to save game saves as usual. Otherwise you can boot from DVD as usual, but then you'll need a commercial boot disc, like HDLoader.

I think you can actually boot up from the hard drive now, but my system is working, so I'm not going to change anything, the bootable code on the memory card leaves enough space for game saves, plus I can (and do) use another memory card in slot one, so save game space isn't important. Anyway, you can use virtual memory cards to store the gamesaves from some games, but I've not tried that feature.

To play games from a USB stick, you need:

+ a PS2, either a fat or a slim, either will work as far as I know,

+ a USB stick (for transfering the software to the PS2, and then the same or a different USB stick(s) for loading the games from),

+ a memory card to boot from.

The software you need is all free and legal, but I won't post links here, in case that's against the board rules. Just use to google.com and search for:

free mcboot

and

open ps2 loader

Also, there's a program called Winhiip (again it's free) that allows you to connect your PS2's hard drive to your PC via IDE connector, and then transfer PS2 games from the PS2's hard drive to your PC's hard drive, and vice versa, allowing you to back up your PC games (which I advice, as media doesn't last forever).

Aside from the hard drive and the network card (I bought the latter from ebay) you'll only need to buy a USB stick, although you can probably borrow a USB stick off someone as you only need it to install the software. The software is all free, unless you need a commecial boot disc like HD Loader, but I'd recommend booting from memory card instead, as it's quicker and saves wear and tear on the DVD drive.

For a list of compatible hard drives, google:

ps2 hard drive compatibility

though I bought two off the shelf, without checking as I didn't know that some drives didn't work with it, and they both (a 120GB, and later this 250GB) worked fine.

Anyway, before you do anything, read up on everything, and know what you're getting and what you'll have to do to install everything. It's a bit of trouble if you don't know what you're doing, but once done it's done for good, and believe me, a hard drive really transforms the whole PS2 experience, and I couldn't go back to loading from disc every time I wanted to play a game.

Moderators - please note, everything in this post is legal, and I've not posted any links just to be on the safe side.