VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by PhaytalError

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all,

The small surface mount electrolytic capacitor located at C9 on my NEC XR385 has become lose, dunno if it was always that way or if it happened recently, the card still works just fine [or so it seems] I just would like to resolder the joints so it won't wobble anymore.

I've never soldered anything before, so just looking for some advice since the one joint is so close to a very tiny neighboring resistor R1 and tiny surface mount capacitor C12.

Thanks for any and all advice. 😎

DOS Gaming System: MS-DOS, AMD K6-III+ 400/ATZ@600Mhz, ASUS P5A v1.04 Motherboard, 32 MB RAM, 17" CRT monitor, Diamond Stealth 64 3000 4mb PCI, SB16 [CT1770], Roland MT-32 & Roland SC-55, 40GB Hard Drive, 3.5" Floppy Drive.

Reply 1 of 6, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would advice caution since you have no prior experience... since the components on the XR385 are surface mount ones , you can easily damage the pads they are soldered on.
If you find someone with a little experience it's a 5seconds job. If you decide to do it your self get a 15-20W soldering iron (not bigger!) with a fine tip, some leaded solder and flux/soldering paste.
Put some flux/paste on the solder area you will work, put a little solder on the tip of the iron (a little, not much and be quick touching the solder on the pcb with the tip if solder stays too long on the iron it becomes useless... infact you don't even need to put solder on the tip but it will help with your repair job, just don't let it much time on the iron), touch the solder pad of the capacitor and add some more solder if needed, it should form a nice little connection.
But do practice first, leave the iron on the spot too much and you risk damaging the cap, solder pad and any nearby component. Surface mount components are more difficult and sensitive than the traditional hole-thru ones.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 6, by PhaytalError

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, since I don't know anyone local that knows how to solder, I figured i'd learn a bit by soldering this now since i'm collecting more and more retro stuff: computers, parts, classic consoles, etc.

It's a good skill to learn for our hobby and I figure i'd jump right in and start with a slight resolder of a surface mount capacitor. 😜

I won't be desoldering it, just getting enough solder on it to stop it from wobbling. There's no corrosion anywhere on the board or caps so i'll assume that the cap was a bit lose from during shipping [got it from eBay about a year ago from the chinese guy that was selling them [double-fish1981], sucks that he ran out of them! I shoulda bought a couple of these boards when I had the chance to.]

DOS Gaming System: MS-DOS, AMD K6-III+ 400/ATZ@600Mhz, ASUS P5A v1.04 Motherboard, 32 MB RAM, 17" CRT monitor, Diamond Stealth 64 3000 4mb PCI, SB16 [CT1770], Roland MT-32 & Roland SC-55, 40GB Hard Drive, 3.5" Floppy Drive.

Reply 4 of 6, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Put a drop of solder on the board, push the cap down and heat up the solder again until the cap drops back in place. That's not very difficult (Unless all you have is a 200W soldering gun) 😀

C9 is just another filter cap for the 5V rail. Even if you mess it up and remove the capacitor completely, the card will still work fine.

Reply 5 of 6, by PhaytalError

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jwt27 wrote:

Put a drop of solder on the board, push the cap down and heat up the solder again until the cap drops back in place. That's not very difficult (Unless all you have is a 200W soldering gun) 😀

C9 is just another filter cap for the 5V rail. Even if you mess it up and remove the capacitor completely, the card will still work fine.

Thanks for the info on the C9, and the solder advice. Now I just need to get a soldering pen. 😜 😀