Topic actions

Reply 60 of 71, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PARUS wrote:

Yes, it is. I think so. Thank you!
Now I'll check DB50 and SW60 about 4/8FS SEL to see its connecting to ground (or not). And then will think how to connect DIT4096. If DIT4096 needs Master Clock Signal it is necessary to find it on XQ036AO chip.

Looking at DB50XG pictures, it's not connected to GND. It could be supply voltage, or, it could be floating, and I can't read from the datasheet if the 4/8FS SEL pin has internal pull-up or pull-down.

On the other hand, there are four wires coming from the DAC, to pins CLK, SI/LSI, LRSEL/RSI, LRCK/WDCK, which would appear that it uses two data wires. Otherwise it would use only three.

And yes, the DIT4096 needs a MCLK (as they almost always do), that is either 256x, 384x or 512x Fs. Based on the 33.868 MHz crystal on board, it is 44100*768, so there is a good chance there is a 384xFs clock available, or you can easily divide one from the 33.868 MHz clock. Another chance would be to generate MCLK from bit clock, or even left/right clock, with a PLL.

Edit: Found a SW60XG picture, it shows both 4/8FS SEL and 16/18BIT selection are connected to VDD.

Reply 61 of 71, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK. I'll never know exact till try to do it. Will buy another one DIT4096 and start. First I must find MCLK signal on XQ036AO. I think it is easy to do on XR385 board, we know which pin is at AK4510. All we need is to find its direct connection to XQ036AO.
Thank you very much.

Does anybody know why jwt27 is absent a lot of time?

Reply 65 of 71, by duke_srg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So any luck with 18-bit output?
Looks like AKM AK4301AVF can do the job alone, here is the similar work for MU128 and AN200 https://esher.ru/blog/887.html
I'm actually have an original DB50XG connected to Audigy EXT connector and want to switch from analg to SPIDIF.
Can anyone confirm MCLK is available from XQ036AO?

Reply 66 of 71, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I too have a dead (DAC) XR385. I cut the trace between the DAC pin 8 and the CPU (easy fix) to experiment. While it was still connected to the CPU i always measured 1.5V on pin 8. After cutting the trace and i left pin 8 floating i was measuring 2.35V. So i soldered i wire and connected the wire to a ground line. Sure enough the board roared to life back again. I felt like some voices were missing or too low in volume so this DAC is definitely toast.

I can't source AK4510-VS DACs from anywhere, as they are obsolete. I would like at least to find a pin compatible replacement. I think jwt27 got some replacement AK4510's but he hasn't posted in this forum for more than 2 years.

The SPDIF mod is a bit too much for me i think, i wish there was an easier solution, or adapting a newer DAC.

Reply 68 of 71, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tested my DB50XG today with some MIDIs only to find out it won't output audio anymore. Does that mean the DB's DAC is roasted?

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 69 of 71, by Volutar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey.
I've encountered somehow similar issue with my DB50XG.
The sound didn't completely disappear, but became noisy at the tail of all sounds (specially with high reverb).
Recorded example

Obviously it wasn't analogue part "bug". I concluded that it's either DAC, or something in the deeps of XQ036A0. I ordered D63200, and after arrival I resoldered this DAC. And you know what? It really helped. It seems something in the analogue part of D63200 was shortened or burnt, but not to the level of total silence... just slight distortion. So DACs can die different ways.

Why this happened? Probably because I've experimented with Chill Midi->Waveblaster adapter board, and something went wrong. Maybe it's just a conisidence. The next thing I want to do is to get DB50XG totally externalized via USB and having digital SPDIF 18bit output (with AK4103) as described in the https://esher.ru/blog/887.html .. Though I have DB50XG and MCLK could be a problem, since D63200 doesn't have one and I didn't find where 95pin of XQ is going (as in 16bit versions like DB60XG/XR385 or MUs), it seems like it's opened pin... Nevertheless, I'll try to get SPDIF with AK4103 working. Will report later.

Reply 70 of 71, by esher

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi! That's my link @esher.ru

It seems that Yamaha used early version of SWP tone generator chip (XQ036A0 aka SWP00), where digital stereo output was split to LD/RD (DACLR and DACR pins @uPD63200), so it will not work with AK4103 because it have only one Audio Serial Data Input Pin. You need to combine LD/RD into one digital stream before 4103 input or find another 18bit SPDIF transceiver with LSI/RSI input support.

I have not found DB50XG service manual, but the SWP00 TG chip was used at CS-1X, MU-50, PSR-520, PSR-620, PSR-4000, QY-700 which SM's can be found @google. Looking at PSR620 and QY700 schemes (they are the same at SWP->DAC point) i assume DB50XG has the same scheme.

edit: as for MCLK it seems that you can test it by oscilloscope at pin 95/SWP00, as i looked into MU128/AN200 service manuals and their sysclk pins are also NC (not used) but i used them for AK4103 mclk input.

edit2: search on AKM site gives me another transmitter AK4101A with 18bit support and 4 serial inputs, you can try this chip.

Reply 71 of 71, by gflorez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I am Gustavo from Spain. I have logged on to Vogons many times looking for valuable information, and now I have decided to become a member. My interests are diffuse, but focused on computers from the 80s and 90s.

I know this is a very old thread, but from time to time I come back to these great Yamaha modules.

I would like to thank jwt27 for the information about the sudden silence of the AK4510 chip.

I had an XR385 in a drawer and didn't know what to do with it. After reading this thread I measured voltages in comparison with a healthy XR385 on pin 8 and indeed, it gave 1.5v when it should be 0v.

As a first measure I have raised pin 8 so it doesn't touch the PCB and then soldered it to a nearby ground.

It has been wonderful how it has come back to life.

Then I have bought some AK4510 chips in China, but they can come fake or not working either....

Well, the healthy module is now the sick one.... It has a very low output volume compared to the healed one.

Any idea?

Also, in one of his commentaries, jwt27 writes about how he has dumped the H8/3002 firmware and tried to disassemble it.

Is that file available? or, how can I dump it by me?

Thanks.

Gustavo.